It has always been thought | Syracusefan.com

It has always been thought

storange

2023 Cali Award Rushing Touchdowns
Our basketball base was much more dedicated and loyal then our football base. Looking around the Dome ( from TV) not so much, first team struggling to break 500 and the Dome is a ghost town. I realize some of it is Covid , but not a majority of the sea of empty seats.

Our basketball base was much more dedicated and loyal then our football base. Looking around the Dome ( from TV) not so much, first team struggling to break 500 and the Dome is a ghost town. I realize some of it is Covid , but not a majority of the sea of empty seats.

There are NO students in town.

Also - 9pm on a Tues is tough for people w school aged kids & jobs.

Cuse is meh.
Opponent is meh, so not remotely a marquee game.

One tangible way in which the ACC has been bad for SU fans: in the rare occasion when the Big East would schedule a late midweek game, it sure wasn't against Depaul.

Every year now SU's got a game or two against some totally unappealing ACC team on a January Tuesday at 9.

I don't care what type of fan you are, that's really difficult to drag yourself out of the house for that. It's a recipe for 16,000 seats sold and 9,000 in the building.

One tangible way in which the ACC has been bad for SU fans: in the rare occasion when the Big East would schedule a late midweek game, it sure wasn't against Depaul.

Every year now SU's got a game or two against some totally unappealing ACC team on a January Tuesday at 9.

I don't care what type of fan you are, that's really difficult to drag yourself out of the house for that. It's a recipe for 16,000 seats sold and 9,000 in the building.
I have been watching games since dirt floor Manley, Never have seen sidelines like that. ( Live and on the tube )

It was small last night but anybody working today getting home around midnight isn’t worth it.
9pm games on the weekends okay.
9pm games Monday-Thursday no thanks.

It was empty last night.
Our fanbase is fine.

Syracuse has always been a town that supports winners and does not support losers.

If you win, they will come.

Been a while since I paid attention to college academic calendars but school is seriously not back in session yet?? What the heck?

All above mentioned reasons aside, I remember being in full houses on work nights, school nights, frigid temps etc. There was a time when none of the above mattered. The tides are turning. I have noticed for some time, things aren’t the same and I’m not talking about basketball, I’m talking fan base.

It used to be an event. Backcourt full of tables. Live bands at conference games. I remember being younger thinking “there are people here, just to be seen here”. That is no more. Why? Are those people dying off? Younger people are going to continue to be harder and harder to bring in.

Been a while since I paid attention to college academic calendars but school is seriously not back in session yet?? What the heck?
Classes were pushed back a week to avoid the worst of the omicron spread.

COVID isn't helping either. Half of the people in my office are either home positive or with kids/family members who tested positive.

Syracuse has always been a town that supports winners and does not support losers.

If you win, they will come.
I think that's pretty much it and it's not much different than any other fanbase in that manner. UNC and Duke both had empty seats in their lean years. Off the top of my head, the only college fanbase that always fills regardless of how good the team is Nebraska football.

While I think there is plenty of frustration with the direction of the program leading to attendance down turn, I wouldn't chalk up last night to that. Between Covid issues and a 9 PM Tuesday game against Clemson, that was going to be a sparse crowd

I think that's pretty much it and it's not much different than any other fanbase in that manner. UNC and Duke both had empty seats in their lean years. Off the top of my head, the only college fanbase that always fills regardless of how good the team is Nebraska football.
No doubt most fan bases will wane when losses pile up. I wonder if Syracuse would still be a basketball school if football returned to the 90s level and hoops put out a few 14-17 type seasons.

All above mentioned reasons aside, I remember being in full houses on work nights, school nights, frigid temps etc. There was a time when none of the above mattered. The tides are turning. I have noticed for some time, things aren’t the same and I’m not talking about basketball, I’m talking fan base.

It used to be an event. Backcourt full of tables. Live bands at conference games. I remember being younger thinking “there are people here, just to be seen here”. That is no more. Why? Are those people dying off? Younger people are going to continue to be harder and harder to bring in.
Yeah back then people had to leave the house to have something to do. No staying home to watch on a giant tv, paying $ for cable/satellite packages and relaxing in your living room, everyone online, pc's, phones etc. Life changed, and tech was a big part of that.

This is one of the few things I hate about being in the ACC. Much rather have early Sunday tip times than these late midweek games

9pm tip time, 9 degrees, on tv

I’m not driving two hours both ways to a 9:00 pm game anytime. Covid is the real reason I’ve missed the past four home games. I’m hoping after the next couple of games on the road covid may slow down and be back in February. I was able to transfer tickets for three of the games.

The future of live attendance is the yet to be told story of COVID. I for one - and am sure I am not alone - have come around to finding that I enjoy the games at home or at friends more than I thought,and I miss the live vibe less than I thought.

I’m not driving two hours both ways to a 9:00 pm game anytime. Covid is the real reason I’ve missed the past four home games. I’m hoping after the next couple of games on the road covid may slow down and be back in February. I was able to transfer tickets for three of the games.
Good News, Omicron is declining steadily in NY State. It overran Delta and is less lethal, a silver lining.