It is tough to play Roberson unless you have 3 shooters on the floor | Syracusefan.com

It is tough to play Roberson unless you have 3 shooters on the floor

Alsacs

Living Legend
Roberson has been pressed into duty because of the McCollough injury but he needs to work on his jumper from the elbow and work on offensive moves. I always saw an athletic Rick Jackson game in Roberson but he isn't that type of player. We need shooting with him on the floor because his defender always stays in the paint and leaves him open. Last night B.J. Johnson got 12 3pt shots out of that because BC probably didn't scout him that much.
I love the potential next year of seeing G,Cooney, Richardson on the floor together and mixing in Roberson/Coleman/McCollough/Bryant together and obviously Joseph in the backcourt as well.

It's tough to play Roberson regardless. I root for him because he's Orange but I am not a fan, AT ALL, of a forward who can't be a threat from 3. Kentucky makes it work because they have so many big guys and defensively/rebounding, they wreak havoc. Roberson is a PF in a SF's body with the skillset of a C.

I kinda wish Roberson would just be told "Your job is to give us second chances, and take away opposing second chances".

Also, I forgot who it was against, but Roberson had a dandy of a posterizing dunk...would love to see more.

Roberson has been pressed into duty because of the McCollough injury but he needs to work on his jumper from the elbow and work on offensive moves. I always saw an athletic Rick Jackson game in Roberson but he isn't that type of player. We need shooting with him on the floor because his defender always stays in the paint and leaves him open. Last night B.J. Johnson got 12 3pt shots out of that because BC probably didn't scout him that much.
I love the potential next year of seeing G,Cooney, Richardson on the floor together and mixing in Roberson/Coleman/McCollough/Bryant together and obviously Joseph in the backcourt as well.

We need to use Roberson like Dennis Rodman. Beast on the boards, and some putback layups/dunks from time to time. He will gain confidence in his shot and be better down the road...but for right now this is how he should be used. His rebounding abilities can't be argued.

My favorite experiment JB tried last night was G-Cooney at the top and Roberson--Rak-Johnson on the back of the zone. It gave us 3 3pt threats on the floor at the same time with 2 bigs to rebound for offensive rebounds.

Joseph played his best game though so I was glad it was only a short experiment last night. I would like to see that lineup more though.

TBcuse11 said in another thread today that Tyler is a great backup forward at this point and I agree with that. Frankly its hard to deny the more you watch him play offense. He has good instincts and ability on the boards but rarely gets easy put backs for all those offensive rebounds he collects. he plays pretty good defense on the wing when he's engaged but also loses the corner guy waaay to often. On offense he is so indecisive that it often kills the flow when he gets the ball. I hope he develops some offense in the off season.

In a perfect scenario you have a team loaded with threats and scorers so Roberson can simply be deployed to do the dirty work and crash the boards. He has zero offense right now. Could be a long uphill battle too.

Roberson is an athletic, stud rebounder and improving defender who is still developing offensively. Those are the kind of guys I want on the floor.

Maybe they start guarding him and he plays better? ;)

Grant didn't have much more of an offensive skillset than Roberson does. He benefited from a guard who could get him the ball in better spots (dunks) though.

I think Roberson will develop an offensive game good enough to keep defenses honest, and his rebounding alone is valuable enough to keep him on the court.

It took until the 2nd half, but SU failed to have guys cut to the basket when Rak had the ball in the post. Everyone stood on the perimeter when a hard cut to the basket would have resulted in easy shots/fouls. I was happy to see the adjustment in the 2nd half and a focus on getting into the paint.

Grant didn't have much more of an offensive skillset than Roberson does. He benefited from a guard who could get him the ball in better spots (dunks) though.

I think Roberson will develop an offensive game good enough to keep defenses honest, and his rebounding alone is valuable enough to keep him on the court.

Grant was a heck of a lot more aggressive and drove to the basket, often trying to get fouled, but still was more aggressive then TR. Roberson is just too tentative offensively right now - he just needs to let it go in rhythm/flow of the offense and just pop the shot when he's open instead of thinking of where he should pass it. JB needs to get him to relax out there, but as most of us know, its a process with JB. TR has to earn JB's trust that he's making the right play on D and then on O as well. Its a tough spot to be in but I believe that TR will benefit from this year's experience in the next season.

Grant was a heck of a lot more aggressive and drove to the basket, often trying to get fouled, but still was more aggressive then TR. Roberson is just too tentative offensively right now - he just needs to let it go in rhythm/flow of the offense and just pop the shot when he's open instead of thinking of where he should pass it. JB needs to get him to relax out there, but as most of us know, its a process with JB. TR has to earn JB's trust that he's making the right play on D and then on O as well. Its a tough spot to be in but I believe that TR will benefit from this year's experience in the next season.

Agreed. If aggressiveness is all Roberson needs, then I'm feeling pretty good about him next season. Aggressiveness comes with confidence and confidence comes with experience.

Roberson does that spin move once every 3 games and it always looks so smooth and it usually works. Don't know why he doesn't use that more.

Tough to match up BJ against Jefferson, we might get killed on the boards. I think JB has to go w mostly TRob against Duke. Go TRob!
TRob will bounce back and a great game tonight!

Someone needs to teach him to put arc on his shots. He shoots line drives, even on foul shots.

His shot isn't all that bad, but you can read his mind asking "Should I be shooting this?" as he shoots.

As much as we might need TRob vs. Okafor and Jefferson; BJ's shooting might be more important. We won't hold Duke below 65. We'l have to score in the mid/high 70s to have a chance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxfan516

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom