It wasn't because Hughes was out | Syracusefan.com

It wasn't because Hughes was out

DonLightfoot

All Conference
The last five minutes says it all.

- Bonehead mental errors.
- Terrible passing (particularly Buddy).
- Lack of touches for Quincy inside.
- Unable to make a FG.

Other than that they held up pretty good for 35 minutes considering our best player was on the bench.

- Unable to make a FG.

Other than that they held up pretty good for 35 minutes considering our best player was on the bench.
SMH of course it was. Playing short handed catch's up to you at some point.

- Unable to make a FG.

Being up 6 with 5 minutes left adds credibility to your point, although I am guessing plenty will argue we would have been up by more with Hughes in there, which is something we'll never know the answer to.

Our walkons may have seen a couple minutes at the end tonight with Elijah playing

- Unable to make a FG.

Eh, we have issues at guard, sort of an ongoing theme

saw elijah standing and clapping . hoping this isn't a big issue. but his league leading MPG took a major hit

Disagree. So many wasted possessions. Why? Completely different options than if Eli was in the game. Normally, Buddy isn't even attempting those passes.

No guarantee Eli delivers but I'd take the odds. One good possession would have turned the tide.

I have no issue with you taking the odds, but even Hughes has off games or long stretches where he completely disappears. He isn't a Melo or John Wallace type of player in terms of putting the team on his back, in my opinion. If he leaves next season, this was a decent preview of what we will be looking at.

Now there also is a question I have with this hypothetical. Does it assume the warm up injury doesn't happen at all, or that he was able to endure hurting himself in warmups and playing through the injury? I think that makes a difference as well.

To go further with the hypothetical some are enjoying, if he hurt himself during warmups(something JB said he has never had happen in 44 years of coaching), who is to say the injury wouldn't have happened during the game?

Maybe it’s me but I have absolutely no idea what you are asking.

- Unable to make a FG.

Really? And whose hands do you think the ball would have been in in the last 5 minutes?

If all we needed was one good possession then we don’t need Eli to win that game.

Like I have a hard time believing the only two possible options on that one possession were Eli or an Alley-oop to Edwards.
Disagree. So many wasted possessions. Why? Completely different options than if Eli was in the game. Normally, Buddy isn't even attempting those passes.

No guarantee Eli delivers but I'd take the odds. One good possession would have turned the tide.

If all we needed was one good possession then we don’t need Eli to win that game.

Like I have a hard time believing the only two possible options on that one possession were Eli or an Alley-oop to Edwards.
Maybe the OP's point is that we should have won anyway. I can't disagree.

There is a 100 percent probability that Hughes would have impacted this game in our favor. Putting aside his scoring ,their change in their defensive scheme alone to neutralize home would have opened up a lot of guys

Guerrier got zero touches after his left handed three point play. Marek failed time and time again attacking the basket. Marek and Buddy were the two reasons we couldn’t pull last nights game out.