It's early and cupcakes are cupcakes but... | Syracusefan.com

It's early and cupcakes are cupcakes but...

Flacusian

All Conference
This team looks very impressive out of the gate and it's scary to think of the possibilities this group has for becoming something very special. I think offensively just watching the team speaks for itself. The defining aspect of how great this team can become lies in it's ability to develop defensively. Last years team with as many shortcomings as it had was able to make it's deep run at years end on account of having become incredibly tenacious defensively.

The offensive quotient should develop almost naturally for this group but for a team to become an elite incarnation of the JB 2-3 it will take hard work and a commitment to do so. Last years team had trouble scoring for what seemed like endless stretches during games last year. It was the defense that kept them in the games. Play the kind of defense that last years team was playing by seasons end and I don't think anyone can beat this group.

And that scary thing...This team has all the components to become even a better team defensively than last years team. They have all the bases covered... Size, speed, athleticism, depth, and a blend of experienced men and younger newbies bristling with talent. Just think what last years team could have done had they had Chukwu anchoring the defense down low and 5 extra fouls to give. The team is essentially 2 deep at every position and we're not just talking about filling in the position, we are talking about virtually interchangeable parts at every position with each player bringing some unique attribute that their counterpart might not be as strong at.

For JB to speak in the manner he recently has about this team... typically early on it's a litany of team deprecatory statements unified by the common tread of " we've got a lot of work to do " and "we haven't won anything", it would seem that JB is doing all he can do to hold back how excited he is about the prospect of molding this team into the National winner winner chicken dinner.

Watching tonight's game went a long way in soothing the sting of the QG debacle. Never mind next year... this year we are just going to keep kickin' a$$ and takin' names. Lordy this is going to be an enjoyable season.

Let's GO ORANGE and War Damn OTTO!!!!!

We have four players on this team who haven't played with the team before: White, Gillon, Chukwu, and Battle. Franklin played in limited minutes last year. So, although I think we are going to be H O T I am also assuming we may need to take time to develop into a cohesive unit. I have no doubt we shall do this, but we may not be able to beat Wisconsin this early in the season. If we do . . . . Katy bar the door! (I don't even know where that expression comes from.)

I would like to see them get excited and be determined to win. I saw that determination and glint in their eye during the Battle for Atlantis and assumed, wrongly, we would have it all season long. It's hard when we have only beaten cupcakes. I eagerly look forward to the next week, and expect we will beat those damn Cocks, but not so sure about those damn Badgers (my alma mater, so I always support them unless they are playing us!).

i've always said it's little debbie december for the cupcakes we typically face. don't have a name for november . maybe nestle's november ?

I think our defense is going to be better than it was last season, due in large to the fact that our depth is so much better. I think when people are remembering our defense as being extreamly good they are remembering the games in the NCAA Tournament mostly. We gave up 51, 50, 60, and 62 before giving up 83 to UNC in the FF.

We've given up 210 points through our first four games for an average of 52.5 ppg, good for 5th in the nation. For comparison's sake last year's team gave up 238 through the first four games of the season for an average of 59.5. We played Lehigh, St. Bonaventure, Elon, and Charlotte in those games. I'm interested in seeing how we do against a higher quality opponent, but at this point in time I'm really bullish on this year's D.

to take the next step i'm still looking for more out of dajuan and chukwu in the middle. both are still playing with the brake on. release it and rise up.

certainly more hopeful than the last 2 seasons because the offense looks less likely to get bogged down for long stretches, but I'm not ready to jump with abandon just yet. The next 4 games will tell us a lot more about this team than the last 4 have. Popcorn

I think our defense is going to be better than it was last season, due in large to the fact that our depth is so much better. I think when people are remembering our defense as being extreamly good they are remembering the games in the NCAA Tournament mostly. We gave up 51, 50, 60, and 62 before giving up 83 to UNC in the FF.

We've given up 210 points through our first four games for an average of 52.5 ppg, good for 5th in the nation. For comparison's sake last year's team gave up 238 through the first four games of the season for an average of 59.5. We played Lehigh, St. Bonaventure, Elon, and Charlotte in those games. I'm interested in seeing how we do against a higher quality opponent, but at this point in time I'm really bullish on this year's D.

I'm not. Not yet anyway. The zone has not looked very active. Multiple players are missing simple rotations and slides on a regular basis and teams have really gotten a lot of good looks from the perimeter. Another area to watch is the ease with which teams can enter the ball from the top of the key to the foul line. In the exhibitions this wasn't good. Battle did a good job of shutting that lane down but the other guards are still working on it. I'm not saying they won't ever get it, but I think the low point totals have been largely due to the poor opponents we have played.

to take the next step i'm still looking for more out of dajuan and chukwu in the middle. both are still playing with the brake on. release it and rise up.
I ve noticed that when their guards (all 4 teams played) got the ball to the low post it was thrown right back out to the guards for a three point attempt ( I know. Std play vs zone) but our guards collapsed to low post leaving their guards alone and let's be honest that center has hell to pay behind him and will not / can't shoot. Point being I want guards to stay closer to home as the bigs will take care of business near basket jmho

Rise up! From your knees, colonies!
Rise up! From your knees, colonies!

Damn. "Hamilton" ear worm again.

Reactions: cto
Part of the reason we made it to the Final Four last season was our press. I'm not sure what the odds are of it getting to that level from the pathetic state it currently resides at. We can only hope.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom