It's nice to see a well coached team | Syracusefan.com

It's nice to see a well coached team

OrangeFoo

All American
Its too bad it's not ours.

We are a one trick pony with the zone... if a team can beat it or get offensive rebounds on it, it's game over because we are terrible on offense. I really hope Hopkins has some magic fairy dust for the offense when he takes over because we know he's not going to out perform the zone master on D.

Its too bad it's not ours.

We are a one trick pony with the zone... if a team can beat it or get offensive rebounds on it, it's game over because we are terrible on offense. I really hope Hopkins has some magic fairy dust for the offense when he takes over because we know he's not going to out perform the zone master on D.

One of the reasons I wanted to see us hire a proven, successful coach post-Boeheim was that I wanted a fresh start. Replacing iconic coaches is difficult enough, and rarely succeeds long-term. Compounding that with a first time head coach only makes it a more difficult challenge.

And nothing against Mike Hopkins. Love the guy, love his lifetime contributions to our program, as both player and coach. I'm also not suggesting that he didn't "deserve" being named successor, for all of the loyalty he's shown.

I just wish we were hiring a proven commodity, who might bring some different approaches to how we play.

One of the reasons I wanted to see us hire a proven, successful coach post-Boeheim was that I wanted a fresh start. Replacing iconic coaches is difficult enough, and rarely succeeds long-term. Compounding that with a first time head coach only makes it a more difficult challenge.

And nothing against Mike Hopkins. Love the guy, love his lifetime contributions to our program, as both player and coach. I'm also not suggesting that he didn't "deserve" being named successor, for all of the loyalty he's shown.

I just wish we were hiring a proven commodity, who might bring some different approaches to how we play.

I'm not sold on Hop in the slightest. Call it blind faith at best. I can't grade his job last year any better than a "C" (some will argue he actually was in charge in the 3 game span in 2002 and that was a flop). I'm wondering if last year's FF might be a bad thing.

I'm not sold on Hop in the slightest. Call it blind faith at best. I can't grade his job last year any better than a "C" (some will argue he actually was in charge in the 3 game span in 2002 and that was a flop). I'm wondering if last year's FF might be a bad thing.

Well, I guess losses are good things nowadays as I've read around here, maybe final fours are bad things as well. I've learned a lot of things today.

I think Hop will do a very good job. Can't just rate him on his interim games last year, still under the JB scheme. When on his own, things may be done differently including more m2m. He's still got fire and I think it won't necessarily just be status quo. We will see.

Well, I guess losses are good things nowadays as I've read around here, maybe final fours are bad things as well. I've learned a lot of things today.

Final fours are final fours, but let's be real here, the ends did not justify the means last year. Maybe that doesn't make sense but what I mean is, just because we got to the FF, doesn't change the fact we went 9-9 in conference and got lucky enough to play a 15 seed in the second round. Let us not forget UConn won a championship playing Butler in the worst game maybe ever. Did that change the fact their season was incredibly average? Let's keep the big picture. That said... I'll take average reg seasons and final fours over great reg seasons and early tourney losses any day.

It's obvious the coaching staff is filled with a bunch of former guards. I haven't seen a truly competent post player since Rick Jackson was here. It took Christmas 4 years to develop.

#22 on wisconsin ( I think) looked very impressive - better than any center we'very had recently- and I'm not sure he's even really that good. Wisconsin seems able to produce skilled bigs (Kaminsky, for instance) but we can't despite the resources at our disposal and the athletes we recruit.

I actually hope we have another bad thing this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxfan516

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom