Its not like were the first team to get thumped at Cameron... | Syracusefan.com

Its not like were the first team to get thumped at Cameron...

Jake

Mod
It's been known to happen. We sent in a thin team with a matchup nightmare for our best player and we got thumped.

BFD.

It's not like it counts as five losses or cost us a seat at the dance.

I think we take out UVA Monday. I really do.

Too much pessimism. Here. Next years team will be just as young, but more diversified offensively. It'll make a significant difference. I'll worry about Joseph next fall. PGs tend to grow up a lot between their freshman and sophomore years.

It's been known to happen. We sent in a thin team with a matchup nightmare for our best player and we got thumped.

BFD.

Too much pessimism. Here. Next years team will be just as young, but more diversified offensively. It'll make a significant difference. I'll worry about Joseph next fall. PGs tend to grow up a lot between their freshman and sophomore years.

It's unfortunate that we weren't more competitive, but not a big surprise given all the circumstances.

Two things for next year:

1. We need better point guard play.
2. We need to re-develop a transition offense. This has to be the absolute worst we have ever been in transition, on the break and finishing at the rim. Wow we are just awful at it. It is painful to watch us continually the break. If its anything but a clear path to the basket situation I find myself hoping they'll slow it down and just run offense to get a better shot.

BFD.

2 key senior leaders and several key jrs, i like our chances. and i agree the va game will be a great one

We don't have great finishers on the break this year. Add Jerami Grant and it would have been different.

I just feel like we don't quite have the horses this year. We play hard, but the team is thin and fairly inexperienced. Can't really expect much against a good team, with a great center, in a hostile environment. We would need an excellent flawless game against a down Duke team to win. I think that's a 1 in 10 or so chance.

Look at the spread. A loss that wasn't too surprising. Time to move on to the next game.

Duke is a really good team, and we don;t have the guns to go head to head with them at cameron, at least this year.

It's unfortunate that we weren't more competitive, but not a big surprise given all the circumstances.

Two things for next year:

1. We need better point guard play.
2. We need to re-develop a transition offense. This has to be the absolute worst we have ever been in transition, on the break and finishing at the rim. Wow we are just awful at it. It is painful to watch us continually the break. If its anything but a clear path to the basket situation I find myself hoping they'll slow it down and just run offense to get a better shot.
Like Ennis did?? :D

BFD.

Great Post!
GBinije, Cooney and Rak all had bad games we shot 26 percent vs dukes 45 up to the 10 minute left mark. and were shaky setting up plays. Go back and watch the BC game and relax, sometimes you just don't play your best ball.

And Agree every bit with the words in bold. It gets tiring hearing the lack of hope. You never give up, Never Fans shouldn't let logic dictate lack of hope in a team, other schools have the common sense not to do that.

Remember the mcw/southerland led final four team? remember the 02-03 team? . remember the 96 wallace led final four team? remember the 09-10 team? Nobody thought any of those teams would be THAT good. Cuse basketball is full of surprises.

We need to keep hope going (hope wins games), stop throwing all the players on a roller coaster ride (one minute they are great the next they suck), and continue to explore new thoughts and ideas. Instead take a self ban and stop meltingdown the board for 5 days after a loss.

The thing I love most about this board is the out of the box conversations, and the OT topic excitment we mix in with the threads.

For a moment I was even thinking what if we put Obokoh and Rak in together with Rak at the four against duke, maybe we could have pushed them around alittle inside and doubled Okafor better. We still were getting killed on the perimeter and with jumpshooting reguardless.

imo as far as transition goes, halfcourt offense wins game transition is offense is freebies. defenses can't stop a good half court offense but they can cut the best transition team in the country down to 6-8 points with hustle on get back on d strategy alone, while watching the turnovers.

The coaches know what they are doing and we follow syracuse because we believe in them, we are not going to change their opinions or teach them anything. They know how to make players better if they didn't they would be retired.

Last edited:
pfister1 said:
Funny, maybe we're now getting to see the result that Ennis was smart enough to spare us from.

Last years team had the horses to finish on gbe break in Jerami and CJ, but a point guard who wasn't comfortable to push it.

This years team has probably the best half court option of the past two years and the Ronco Spazmatic running the point.

Briancuse said:
Okafur can give them fits, and if there guards can knock down some shots, they have a chance.

Okafor would be in foul trouble the whole game, because the refs would call all the fouls.

Okafur can give them fits, and if there guards can knock down some shots, they have a chance.

Kentucky has 4 centers and Okafor shoots around 50% from the line. Do the math.

I just don't see it with Joseph. Hope I'm wrong, but we need other options at that position and I am not sure next year's recruiting class really addresses that issue.

I really think the best option for next year might be Cooney, Gbinije, Richardson, McCullough, Coleman with Roberson, Joseph, Johnson, Patterson off the bench. Gbinije will be the defacto point guard, with Cooney helping to bring the ball up. The starting 5 will have 3 good to very good shooters plus McCullough who is capable to 15 feet. Hope Coleman will be back to 100% by next year - I think he will be.

Not sure Diagne and Lydon will play mu unless McCullough decides to leave early.

Kentucky wouldn't be undefeated if they were in the ACC.
Their biggest tests are against teams like Arkansas. Arkansas wouldn't even be ranked if they were in the ACC. They'd probably be around where we are.

UK going undefeated is much more on par with WSU going undefeated than people want to admit.

This team has squeaked by SEC competition. This isn't 1990 UNLV we're talking about here.

To say they "squeaked by" SEC competition is a bit off base. Their first 2 games they squeaked by then they won games by 49, 22, 8, 15, 16, 15, 11, 7, 2 (squeaker), 34, 18, 35, 18, 17. That's an avg of +19 ppg. If you include their 1st 2 SEC games, the avg drops to 17.25 ppg. That's hardly playing close basketball.

To say they "squeaked by" SEC competition is a bit off base. Their first 2 games they squeaked by then they won games by 49, 22, 8, 15, 16, 15, 11, 7, 2 (squeaker), 34, 18, 35, 18, 17. That's an avg of +19 ppg. If you include their 1st 2 SEC games, the avg drops to 17.25 ppg. That's hardly playing close basketball.

Right. What I'm saying is that they HAVE struggled against some SEC teams. If they had to gut out wins vs LSU, Ole Miss, and aTm, they can lose to Duke.

Right. What I'm saying is that they HAVE struggled against some SEC teams. If they had to gut out wins vs LSU, Ole Miss, and aTm, they can lose to Duke.

I definitely agree with that. I think Duke or Wisconsin are the only teams that can take them down. But maybe the pressure of being undefeated begins to mount and they play tight and lose to someone they shouldn't.