It's Official, New York's College Team | Syracusefan.com

It's Official, New York's College Team

I love that Rutgers doesn't even get a mention.BTW Did I ever mention how much I hate that school and its fans? Just wondering.Every time we beat them in anything They hate us more .Tomorrow should be good for more of their hate in the Dome lacrosse scrimage against their best.:rolleyes:

That is actually surprising.

I think the survey may have been slightly skewed by the fact that it was done during our Final 4 run. Syracuse was on the back page of every NYC tabloid. Ask those same people in August, and I bet the answers change.

Still kinda cool tho...

That is actually surprising.

I think the survey may have been slightly skewed by the fact that it was done during our Final 4 run. Syracuse was on the back page of every NYC tabloid. Ask those same people in August, and I bet the answers change.

Still kinda cool tho...

But Rutgers was also on the back page of every NYC tabloid during our Final 4 run.:D

were people asked for teams of told the teams to pick from?

813 residents of NY State were surveyed, and told to pick their favorite "New York" teams.

NYC has always found us easy to root for in hoops, but the nostalga of this last BE tournament, the GTown battle and (to some extent) our FF run really solidified us as NYC's college hoops team.

To me, this poll backs up the assumption that Syracuse is much more popular Upstate than Downstate. The point on more registered Republicans liking Syracuse than registered Democrats indicates that Syracuse is more popular Upstate than Downstate. My voting district on the Upper West Side of Manhattan went 90%-10% Democrat in the last election, while even the metropolitan districts of Upstate shade more Republican. Just sayin'.

Granted, I was never very good at statistics in grad school.

But I see way more Michigan gear in NYC than Syracuse, Rutgers, or anyone else.

You really thing they are Michigan fans or is it more of a fashion thing?

Lots and lots of garb-wearing alumni.

Just thought you should know Michigan has about 15K alums in the area. PSU has about 10K more than that and according to the SU alumni office, we have 10K more than Penn State.

Cheers,
Neil

813 residents of NY State were surveyed, and told to pick their favorite "New York" teams.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think 813 residents would makes a good sample size. It's been a while since I took stats, but in a state with over 19 million people, I would think for being within a +- of 3%, there should be at least 2000 respondents. Then trying to get those respondents be representative of the entire state is even trickier.

Cheers,
Neil

Just thought you should know Michigan has about 15K alums in the area. PSU has about 10K more than that and according to the SU alumni office, we have 10K more than Penn State.

Cheers,
Neil

Well, SU grads had better start moving to the Upper West Side. I see lots of Michigan blue up here.

I always see Cuse gear when I'm in NYC. Usually lots of ND and PSU as well. Those seem to be the top three I see.

Said this before, but for about 6 months I kept a log (that I've since lost) of all the people with college team gear on I see in NYC. Definitely lots of Michigan. They were probably in 1st (this was right before the PSU thing blew up). Lots of PSU. A lot of people that were pretty clearly tourists representing their teams (Oklahoma types). I didn't count teams if there was a game going on (so no skewed SU at MSG numbers). We were a little lower than I expected. RU was really low. Maybe one or two randoms. I even saw some St. Johns. WVU fans apparently always wear team gear--I probably see them the most consistently.

I think ND has had to have dropped quite a bit considering they are always mentioned for NYC representation (again, this was pre-their title game). Same for Duke. I've rarely ever seen anyone with Duke gear on, so I don't understand that one.

Said this before, but for about 6 months I kept a log (that I've since lost) of all the people with college team gear on I see in NYC. Definitely lots of Michigan. They were probably in 1st (this was right before the PSU thing blew up). Lots of PSU. A lot of people that were pretty clearly tourists representing their teams (Oklahoma types). I didn't count teams if there was a game going on (so no skewed SU at MSG numbers). We were a little lower than I expected. RU was really low. Maybe one or two randoms. I even saw some St. Johns. WVU fans apparently always wear team gear--I probably see them the most consistently.

I think ND has had to have dropped quite a bit considering they are always mentioned for NYC representation (again, this was pre-their title game). Same for Duke. I've rarely ever seen anyone with Duke gear on, so I don't understand that one.
I guess the lesson is all of this is that SU fans don't wear garb as much as other schools' fans.

You see a lot of Cuse gear over here in eastern NYS (Dutchess, Columbia and Rensselaer counties). The high school my wife teaches in, and the high school my daughters graduated from, probably are comprised of 30-50% Cuse fans. An even higher percentage during the recent FF run. Syracuse has also been something of a "hot" college choice the past couple of years, maybe because of the publicity surrounding the initiative to boost financial aid to middle class students?

One thing this poll demonstrates which we have always felt but didn't have the data to back it up for is that in terms of upstate New York, which has a population more than several other states, SU is clearly the area's sports team, finishing only behind the Yankees and ahead of the Bills.

Cheers,
Neil

To me, this poll backs up the assumption that Syracuse is much more popular Upstate than Downstate. The point on more registered Republicans liking Syracuse than registered Democrats indicates that Syracuse is more popular Upstate than Downstate. My voting district on the Upper West Side of Manhattan went 90%-10% Democrat in the last election, while even the metropolitan districts of Upstate shade more Republican. Just sayin'.

Granted, I was never very good at statistics in grad school.

I don't know about anyone else but SU gear isn't in my regular rotation. I feel like I'm a pretty big fan. I'm on these boards after all. But other than when I attend games, I hardly ever wear SU gear. I think opinion polls are a far more accurate way of gauging fan numbers. Counting sweatshirts, in my opinion, tells you more about the everyday wardrobe of certain fan bases than it does the size of those fan bases in a particular place.

One thing this poll demonstrates which we have always felt but didn't have the data to back it up for is that in terms of upstate New York, which has a population more than several other states, SU is clearly the area's sports team, finishing only behind the Yankees and ahead of the Bills.

Cheers,
Neil
Why do you say it reflects upstate? If they did the poll correctly, most of the respondents would have been from the NYC area as that is the area of greatest population. They would have had more "votes" than upstate. Clearly though, upstate likes SU:

• Among upstate residents, Syracuse (18 percent) is second to only the Yankees (23).

• Among Republicans, Syracuse (12 percent) is tied for second behind the Yankees (31). But among Democrats, Syracuse is tied for seventh (4 percent).

Anecdotal info trumps all. Oh Lord

Cheers,
Neil

Ah, yes. The "A PR effort said so, so you have to be wrong" argument.

I work retail in Manhattan and see literally thousands of people everyday. I notice Michigan gear ALL OF THE TIME, while Syracuse gear is an exciting distraction.

I don't care what you say or what you think, just don't you dare tell me what I'm seeing with MY OWN EYES.

Ah, yes. The "A PR effort said so, so you have to be wrong" argument.

I work retail in Manhattan and see literally thousands of people everyday. I notice Michigan gear ALL OF THE TIME, while Syracuse gear is an exciting distraction.

I don't care what you say or what you think, just don't you dare tell me what I'm seeing with MY OWN EYES.
I think the point is that a poll is probably more accurate than casual observation. It might not be, but I think it is more likely. It could be that Michigan fans may be more likely to wear team garb. Like another prior poster, I wear my SU stuff mostly on game day and around the house.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think 813 residents would makes a good sample size. It's been a while since I took stats, but in a state with over 19 million people, I would think for being within a +- of 3%, there should be at least 2000 respondents. Then trying to get those respondents be representative of the entire state is even trickier.

Cheers,
Neil

I was also thinking that the sample size is ridiculously small.

I don't know about anyone else but SU gear isn't in my regular rotation. I feel like I'm a pretty big fan. I'm on these boards after all. But other than when I attend games, I hardly ever wear SU gear. I think opinion polls are a far more accurate way of gauging fan numbers. Counting sweatshirts, in my opinion, tells you more about the everyday wardrobe of certain fan bases than it does the size of those fan bases in a particular place.

I live in the Dallas area & love wearing my SU apparel! It confuses people...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom