It's OK to have a net | Syracusefan.com

It's OK to have a net

SWC75

Bored Historian
Karl Wallenda, the famous tight rope walker, insisted on performing without a net because he felt a net made it "OK to fall". He had a brother who fell into a net and flipped out of it onto a concrete floor and he felt safer if he knew it was not OK to fall and therefore he would use every faculty he had to stay up there.

But sports fans who are hoping their team can win a championship can have a net. It's not a matter of life or death. This is our week to dream of winning the title. Next week will be too late. But it's OK to step back and put the situation in some perspective as well so you won't feel quite as much pain if things go poorly. He's an E-mail response I just sent to a friend asking for my assessment of SU's prospects this weekend:

I’m so confident that they will get to the title game I’m kind of scared of it. JB is 9-0 all-time vs. Beilein and 3-0 in national semi-finals. Michigan seems a clone of Indiana. I think they will have similar trouble scoring against us and equal trouble defending against our “longer” players. Our offensive efficiency has actually been pretty good in the tournament if you look at points per possession. The games are just slow games because the opposition is using up the shot clock trying to find a hole in the zone and we are being patient as well, looking at openings for our drives to the basket. MCW has been playing at an All-American level, as has CJ Fair. The centers have hung tough. Even Southerland is playing defense and rebounding. He really hasn’t “gone off” yet in this tournament as he did in new York because the other teams are making sure someone is in his face all the time.

We’ll have the best shot vs. Louisville of anybody because we’ve played them three times and, aside for the final 10 minutes in new York, it’s been very close. That game was our fourth in 4 days. The title game would be our second game in 8 days. And I think they will miss Kevin Ware, their #3 guard, who hurt us a lot. They could even be vulnerable vs. Wichita State, who has beaten several teams they weren’t supposed to beat.

But it’s kind of like the TV mystery show where all the evidence points to a suspect and the hero says it’s took perfect: it’s a frame-up! Our seasons tend to end before we thought there were going to end. Confrontations that we were looking forward to tend not to come off. And our games against Louisville tend to have unhappy endings.

I choose to step back and look at it from three different perspectives in the not too recent past: (1) we started the season having lost our point guard, out leading scorer, the conference defensive player of the year and the #4 overall NBA draft choice, (four different guys). (2) We ended the regular season with a dismal 39-61 loss at Georgetown, our 5th loss in 7 games. (3) We finished the Big East tournament on a 16-49 run vs. Louisville. If at any of those points you were told that we would be in the Final Four, wouldn’t you have been amazed and happy? Maybe we should just be amazed and happy whatever takes place.

It looked like Wallenda just let go. Oh dear!

Regarding your other idea of experiencing joy in the present moment, you and many Swami's agree! :)

Regarding your other idea of experiencing joy in the present moment, you and many Swami's agree! :)

it seemed less a loss of balance than of strength. Maybe he had a heart attack. I doubt they could tell after he hit the pavement.

I think thats the point of his brother... he knew he had the net below. right?

its super hard to tell if there was indeed a net, but in SWC's post it says he flipped out of the net.

That video was of Karl Wallenda falling to his death.

Despite being involved in several tragedies in his family's acts, Wallenda continued with his stunts. In 1978, at age 73, Wallenda attempted a walk between the two towers of the ten-story Condado Plaza Hotel in San Juan, Puerto Rico, on a wire stretched 121 ft (37 metres) above the pavement, but fell to his death when winds exceeded 30 mph (48 kilometres per hour). The Wallenda family attributed the tragedy to misconnected guide ropes and not the windy conditions.[5] A film crew from WAPA-TV in San Juan taped the fall, and the video, featuring anchorman Guillermo Jose Torres' narration of the fall, circled the world.

His brother, Willi, flipped out of a net and was killed in 1940. That's why Karl didn't use one.
http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Wired: for Sarasota's Flying Wallendas, the thrill of performing high...-a0141998752

ohhh. got it.

how many wellenda's are there? I thought you were talking about the guy who just crossed the falls... which i thought was so weird because he is so much younger that the guy in the video. I just assumed you made a mistake calling him brother as opposed to dad or uncle and i didnt want to call you out.

lol. I guess I just called myself out.

ohhh. got it.

how many wellenda's are there? I thought you were talking about the guy who just crossed the falls... which i thought was so weird because he is so much younger that the guy in the video. I just assumed you made a mistake calling him brother as opposed to dad or uncle and i didnt want to call you out.

lol. I guess I just called myself out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Flying_Wallendas

Michigan seems a clone of Indiana.

SWC-I normally agree with just about everything you post. But the above statement seems to be a common misconception for many who frequent this board.

Michigan is not at all a clone of Indiana. Indiana had two guards that could not create for themselves offensively. Trey Burke and Co live off of dribble penetration and creating their own shot. Also, for as soft as Zeller was, McGary is a bruiser.

I too am confident that we will win. However, this Michigan team is not made up of a bunch of slow-footed, sub par athletes (ala Indiana sans Olidipo). This is a very good Michigan team.

SWC-I normally agree with just about everything you post. But the above statement seems to be a common misconception for many who frequent this board.

Michigan is not at all a clone of Indiana. Indiana had two guards that could not create for themselves offensively. Trey Burke and Co live off of dribble penetration and creating their own shot. Also, for as soft as Zeller was, McGary is a bruiser.

I too am confident that we will win. However, this Michigan team is not made up of a bunch of slow-footed, sub par athletes (ala Indiana sans Olidipo). This is a very good Michigan team.

That lost twice to Indiana.

And we lost to Temple. Both Syracuse and Michigan are playing at much higher levels than they did during the regular season.

As always, great post SWC. For me personally, the biggest prize is a Final 4 appearance. We have one title and that is awesome, but to me the ultimate prize is reaching the Final 4. Anything after that is just gravy. Don't get me wrong, I want to win it all, but if we don't...even if we lose to Michigan, it is OK. I just don't get caught up in which program is better, which has more titles, which is more consitent, etc. I just like watching guys come into the program, improve (most of the time) over the years and see what each team can accomplish game to game and for the season. A final 4 appearance to me is the pinnacle.

As far as I'm concerned, we've been playing with the house money since we beat IU. Whatever happens, happens.

When I worked for the County at the old Civic Center building right here in Syracuse in the 70's across from the PSB one of the Wallendas tightroped from right outside my window across State St. I couldn't look, it was pretty windy and I was positive it would be cancelled. Nope he did it while I shut my eyes to avert what I thought was obviously going to be a tragedy. I think it was Karl, the same one who fell and died in Puerto Rico. He wasn't young either when he was doing those stunts.

By the way Steve, nice post and we are very fortunate as fans to have not only seen this years' success but the decades of success we now casually expect every year.

The article is worthless. Doesn't even mention the World of Coca-Cola. There's a room where you can try every soda they make from all over the planet.

???:noidea:???

this guy is no phillippe petit. the GOAT. strongly recommend man on wire documentary. he has this hilarious story at the end where after walking the twin towers, he immediately made love to a stranger, just because he had been transformed mentally by the experience. also, if you ever have pleasure of going to paris, on the eiffel tower, there is a plaque marking spot where petit tight roped from tower to the courtyard in the background where the famous hitler photo was taken.

As always, great post SWC. For me personally, the biggest prize is a Final 4 appearance. We have one title and that is awesome, but to me the ultimate prize is reaching the Final 4. Anything after that is just gravy. Don't get me wrong, I want to win it all, but if we don't...even if we lose to Michigan, it is OK. I just don't get caught up in which program is better, which has more titles, which is more consistent, etc. I just like watching guys come into the program, improve (most of the time) over the years and see what each team can accomplish game to game and for the season. A final 4 appearance to me is the pinnacle.

I can agree. That is until the game(s) start. Then I damn near get a heart attack with each missed bunny or turnover. Doesn't seem like house money then.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom