It's the most wonderful time of the year... normally | Syracusefan.com

It's the most wonderful time of the year... normally

RF2044

Living Legend
I've always loved the first weekend of the NCAA tournament. In fact, I honestly believe that there is not a more exciting sports related spectacle than March Madness.

Normally, I'd find ways to get today or tomorrow off, watch games all day, etc.

Just can't get into it this year. Not making the tournament SUCKS.

I've always loved the first weekend of the NCAA tournament. In fact, I honestly believe that there is not a more exciting sports related spectacle than March Madness.

At this time of year
When all hopes burn bright
I think of my team
And scream all night.

I am right there with you. I never took time off, but I would follow all the games. I am just drained from any excitement over this year's tournament. I watched the play in games and thought "We are better than any of these teams". I could easily be turned to the dark side right now, the hatred is so strong.

I know, it hurts. Instead of getting into the excitement and anticipating future match-ups, I am left thinking what could have been. But I always get over it after the first weekend. Oh, and my "picks" tend to be a little more objective (though the bias didn't hurt last year...).

And some might disagree, but if we are still alive in the NIT by next week, I will be telling myself we are one of only a handful of teams still playing ball...

I assume you guys are basketball fans in addition to being diehard Cuse fans. There will be a million stories being made this March. Yes, it really sucks with no Cuse, but hopefully you find someone or something to get behind. Personally, I am rooting for fellow Clifton Park resident, Kevin Huerter and Maryland, Iona, where my nephew went to school and University of Arizona where my niece went to school. Then of course I will root for my bracket pics.

Conversely, you have the schools to root against. Ricky and little Ricky. Vermont. All Big Ten schools, except Maryland. AAC schools. Big East schools.

I am right there with you. I never took time off, but I would follow all the games. I am just drained from any excitement over this year's tournament. I watched the play in games and thought "We are better than any of these teams". I could easily be turned to the dark side right now, the hatred is so strong.
I was filing out a bracket and looking at the team comparisons for wins vs top25,who they beat and etc...some of the teams that made it in have terrible stats.
Despite our loses earlier in the season we had such a better record then most of the teams that made it. It really is a joke that we didn't get put in. We sucked for a portion of the year but we are still better then half the teams in there.

I assume you guys are basketball fans in addition to being diehard Cuse fans. There will be a million stories being made this March. Yes, it really sucks with no Cuse, but hopefully you find someone or something to get behind. Personally, I am rooting for fellow Clifton Park resident, Kevin Huerter and Maryland, Iona, where my nephew went to school and University of Arizona where my niece went to school. Then of course I will root for my bracket pics.

Conversely, you have the schools to root against. Ricky and little Ricky. Vermont. All Big Ten schools, except Maryland. AAC schools. Big East schools.
I have nothing against Villanova, but I want them out early. Michigan State too. Other than that, I would like to root for our conference, but I do with hesitation.

Come on man.

No, I understand.

I say this with the utmost respect for you guys...

You're all a bunch of spoiled crybabies.

;)

I'll be watching all of the games and loving it.

To be honest, I'm always pretty bitter after SU gets knocked out of the tournament and usually root against teams more than root for teams. I hate it when blue blood teams win because they're arrogant, but I also hate it when other teams win because I'm arrogant and don't want them to have more success than Syracuse. So basically I'm a poor sport.

That said, the Northwestern team and coach sent my daughter's 1st grade class a signed card (her teacher's an alumna) so we'll be rooting for them in our house.

Ok, if Vermont plays for the NC then I'll root for them. No, just kidding.

I'd like them to beat Purdue, the Big Ten regular season champion, so that it will stop all channels from showing that Sorrentine shot over and over. After that, they can lose.

I agree.

I really don't care, eventually Ill get into it, but right now ill just watch the games at night while clearing out some dvr'd stuff. ill likely have it on all weekend, but still wont care that much.

its so much different when the Orange are in it. even knocked out early, I care more about it then I do now.

although, this is the last time where we all get to listen to Mike Francesa watch the tourney...which is an experience everyone should partake in.

that might get me going later today.

I agree.

I really don't care, eventually Ill get into it, but right now ill just watch the games at night while clearing out some dvr'd stuff. ill likely have it on all weekend, but still wont care that much.

its so much different when the Orange are in it. even knocked out early, I care more about it then I do now.

although, this is the last time where we all get to listen to Mike Francesa watch the tourney...which is an experience everyone should partake in.

that might get me going later today.

LOL. Francesa probably thinks UConn and St. Johns are in the tourney.

My alternative recommendations:
[ ] Re-watch the 2003 tourney games if you have them.
[ ] If you are an NBA fan, there was an amazing Spurs/Blazers game on last night and the Dubs are on tonight. Get into NBA reddit.
[ ] Binge watch Stranger Things
[ ] Read The Nix or The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared
[ ] Buy this shirt: Waiters Island - Dion Waiters - T-Shirt | TeePublic

In all seriousness, I agree with you. The only real reason I'm going to follow is because of my bracket.

Besides that, it's NBA and Mets spring ball.

My 50 person office pool is down to 25 people this year. There just isn't any interest.

Any of you want to be "temps" for a few weeks?

:rolling:

I'm over it. I didn't think we got snubbed or anything and once Boeheim started running his mouth (even if the NIT rep/friend told Boeheim a week or two ago that a NCAA bid was unlikely was true) I had a bad feeling. That being said there still are some very good teams I like to watch and some good stories.

- Northwestern appearance is great.
- Michigan story is great.
- Duke's run has been impressive.
- Can Gonzaga or Arizona get to the F4?
- UCLA/Arizona/Oregon are obviously fun to watch.
- Can Giddy Potts and co. get another win in an encore appearance?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom