It's time... | Syracusefan.com

It's time...

Orangezoo

In the wind
The collegiate 3 point line needs to be moved back. Yes we have struggled with it so it hurts us quite a bit and yes moving it out hurts us during to the zone being more spread out on the defensive side of the ball. With that said, this is nuts. It's impressive but also just stupid.

The collegiate 3 point line needs to be moved back. Yes we have struggled with it so it hurts us quite a bit and yes moving it out hurts us during to the zone being more spread out on the defensive side of the ball. With that said, this is nuts. It's impressive but also just stupid.

Indeed! This will comes across as s exist, but the women's 3 is the same distance as the men's...nuff said.

Bill Self couldn’t coach himself out of a wet paper bag. Good recruiter; terrible coach. No gameplan to make a comeback in the 2nd half other than desperation 3 pt attempts.

Bill Self couldn’t coach himself out of a wet paper bag. Good recruiter; terrible coach. No gameplan to make a comeback in the 2nd half other than desperation 3 pt attempts.

He’s a very good coach. Boeheim’s a big fan. When you can’t keep the opponenet in front of you it’s trouble. Kansas couldn’t guard them and keep their guards in front of them.

I thought man 2 man was the way to prevent so many 3 point shots:)

Self is a great coach. Villanova played an amazing game.

So, during some Me time today, I put together some numbers based on the experimental 3 pt line (22' 1.75" 3 pt line, the FIBA standard, not the current NCAA 20' 9") the NIT used this year. I went through all the NIT box scores for each team and compared the 3 pt shooting percentages of those teams in the NIT vs. their regular season percentages. Now, I know since half the NIT teams only played one game that there are some limited sample sizes here, but what I found was interesting.

Whereas there are some teams that incongruently shot better in the NIT than they had during the season, most shot worse, as one would expect. In fact, on average, teams shot 5% worse with the FIBA 3 pt line during the entire NIT.

So, if you want to de-emphasize 3 pt shooting in the NCAA, the numbers (with an albeit small sample size) bear out the common-sense hypothesis that a longer 3 pt line reduces 3 pt shooting percentages.

upload_2018-4-1_21-4-58.png

This women’s NC game reminds me of the Butler-UConn NC game in 2011.

I’d say it’s time for us to recruit shooters.

As a team we had four guys shoot over 35 pct from 3 and shot 38 pct as a team in our disappointing 16-17 campaign. We need more guys who can shoot, defend the zone and get to the bucket vs just shooters.

As a team we had four guys shoot over 35 pct from 3 and shot 38 pct as a team in our disappointing 16-17 campaign. We need more guys who can shoot, defend the zone and get to the bucket vs just shooters.
Put this year’s Chukwu on the 16-17 team they make the NCAAT and it’s all about matchups.
2016-17 had to play Lydon in the middle with Gillon’s short length at the top.

Just like if you switched Marek with Andrew White this year we have a team with enough scoring.

The Big 12 must be a lousy league if a terrible coach has won 14 straight titles there.

Last edited:
Move the college 3 pt line to the NBA distance

college baseball and football fields are the same distance as their pro counterparts

The concept that D1 athletes should be given a crutch is ridiculous ..

Keep the cute little collegey things like two halves instead of 4 quarters (I hate quarters) and a slightly longer shot clock , but the scoring rules and distances should be the same as the NBA... I’m a middle aged dude and when I go to the gym , I use the NBA line for my pre weight lifting warm up , because the college distance doesn’t provide an adequate stress... I guarantee you these college players with even decent outside shots shoot like 85 percent from college three unguarded when practicing

Last edited:
Except there are very few players who can do all three well. JBs length requirements severely limit who we can pursue.

That being said the FIBA line is long overdue. Hopefully Novas success makes this happen for the sake of the game. The NCAA might get spooked by that 5% drop though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom