It's true what JB has always said | Syracusefan.com

It's true what JB has always said

SUintheVille

Former 'Blue Light Special' Announcer
Gotta make shots to win. Cuse 46% from 3, UofL 24%.

It was a fun game to watch in person. Cuse much more active on offense and penetrated well thru UofL's swiss cheese defense.

The cutest thing was during time outs. Several little kids would come out in both lanes on the court with their towels and wipe the floor. Not sure how much wiping got done, but they sure seemed to have fun just sitting and playing around in the lane for a minute or 2.

Go Cuse.

It was a fun game to watch in person. Cuse much more active on offense and penetrated well thru UofL's swiss cheese defense.

The cutest thing was during time outs. Several little kids would come out in both lanes on the court with their towels and wipe the floor. Not sure how much wiping got done, but they sure seemed to have fun just sitting and playing around in the lane for a minute or 2.

Go Cuse.

I thought this thread was going to be about the word "premature."

Yeah that Quentin Snider and McMahon are bad defenders. Snider looks like he has gained like 20 lbs of fat since last season and McMahon was a joke. That Darius Perry was good when he was in there. Not sure why he didn't play more.

Go Cuse.
Was at my first SU game in LVille and have to say that those kids were cracking us up. So cute. Overall I had a great experience. The Yum center is a great arena. The funny thing is, the crowd is EXACTLY like ours. It was dead the entire first half. Once Lville showed life in the second, the crowd got really loud and was into it. But after Mareks tip in, they started leaving early to “beat the traffic”. The game wasn’t over but the exodus was on. The whole thing was surreal. We think it only happens in the Dome, but things are the same no matter where you go.

We used to have kids mop the floor at timeouts... They were called ball boys. That practice stopped very suddenly a few years ago.

The coach's IQ seems tethered to the player's shooting percentages.

I must say that i prefer player and ball movement to the static pick and roll, iso type ball we've been playing. You need to get defenders moving to open up shots and driving lanes.

Was at my first SU game in LVille and have to say that those kids were cracking us up. So cute. Overall I had a great experience. The Yum center is a great arena. The funny thing is, the crowd is EXACTLY like ours. It was dead the entire first half. Once Lville showed life in the second, the crowd got really loud and was into it. But after Mareks tip in, they started leaving early to “beat the traffic”. The game wasn’t over but the exodus was on. The whole thing was surreal. We think it only happens in the Dome, but things are the same no matter where you go.
It was cold in the Ville last night, so maybe that also contributed to the early departures. If it were fifty instead of twenty, would the fans have stayed?

But I will say I was shocked by how MANY left when they were only six points down and a minute left to play! We have people trickle out for every game, but I don’t think our fans would have gotten up en masse in a similar situation,

People left early in the Virginia game but for the first time ever, I didn’t judge them. It was that awful.

I must say that i prefer player and ball movement to the static pick and roll, iso type ball we've been playing. You need to get defenders moving to open up shots and driving lanes.
That style is fine and better to watch, when a team has 5 guys able to play that way and win. We don't.

Exactly. Even if we do have poor shooters (yes), it sure is easier to hit open looks than forced shots late in the shot clock. We got some movement and dribble drives that led to a handful of dunks and a few open 3's for OB.

"Gotta make shots to win."

Isn't that the same level of wisdom as "gotta score more points than the opponent?"

The objective should be to put players in the best positions to take and make the most shots, efficiently. We seem to have an Iso mentality, where three players have to force things far too often. Our three-point shots seem to always come after a bunch of dribbles and a stepback/fadeaway. The opponent seems to move the ball around and finally get it to a guy who's actually open. We accidentally get the ball into the post, and then when swarmed, Chukwu or Moyer or Marek desperately fling it back out. The opponent somehow feeds the post and gets a jump hook.

We make things too difficult for the players who do have offensive skills, and the ones who don't aren't developing them. It was good, though, to see increasing confidence and proficiency from Marek with those mid-range jumpers. And Chukwu looks like he's been told to be more assertive at the rim, but without positive consequence last game. Good to see some attention paid to it all. Nice, also that the commentators noted Marek was working on that shot.

We used to have kids mop the floor at timeouts... They were called ball boys. That practice stopped very suddenly a few years ago.
I'm guessing because "ball boy" was politically incorrect so they had to shut it down?

McMahon played far more than he should have, in my opinion.

I'm guessing because "ball boy" was politically incorrect so they had to shut it down?

I think it was because Gloria Alred kept referring to Bernie's chums as "ball boys" simply because he got them that gig for one game. She wanted to leave the impression that SU's ball boy program was a recruiting ground for Bernie.

"Gotta make shots to win."

Isn't that the same level of wisdom as "gotta score more points than the opponent?"

The objective should be to put players in the best positions to take and make the most shots, efficiently. We seem to have an Iso mentality, where three players have to force things far too often. Our three-point shots seem to always come after a bunch of dribbles and a stepback/fadeaway. The opponent seems to move the ball around and finally get it to a guy who's actually open. We accidentally get the ball into the post, and then when swarmed, Chukwu or Moyer or Marek desperately fling it back out. The opponent somehow feeds the post and gets a jump hook.

We make things too difficult for the players who do have offensive skills, and the ones who don't aren't developing them. It was good, though, to see increasing confidence and proficiency from Marek with those mid-range jumpers. And Chukwu looks like he's been told to be more assertive at the rim, but without positive consequence last game. Good to see some attention paid to it all. Nice, also that the commentators noted Marek was working on that shot.

I think giving points for putting the ball in the peach basket was probably Naismith's initial idea and one of his best. ;)

That said, your scheme can make it easier and ours has made it more difficult, at least until Jim went to more of a motion offense. But it's just an offensively limited team. that's been obvious since the season began. it didn't hurt us much in the pre-conferecne season but it's been a big problem in the ACC games.

Go Cuse.

wasn't there some ref that yelled at a kid trying to clean the floor at a Dome game a few years ago.

I think giving points for putting the ball in the peach basket was probably Naismith's initial idea and one of his best. ;)

That said, your scheme can make it easier and ours has made it more difficult, at least until Jim went to more of a motion offense. But it's just an offensively limited team. that's been obvious since the season began. it didn't hurt us much in the pre-conferecne season but it's been a big problem in the ACC games.
Did you notice more motion in the Louisville game, or were my eyes playing tricks on me?

Did you notice more motion in the Louisville game, or were my eyes playing tricks on me?

It started in the second half of the Virginia game but we weren't hitting our shots, I think because of what I call PDSD- Post defensive stress disorder: when you miss shots because you have been heavily defended, you also miss open shots when you get them because you still anticipate being heavily defended. That had cleared by the Louisville game so we made those open shots.