Ivy League Rejects Conference Tourney | Syracusefan.com

Ivy League Rejects Conference Tourney

As much as I love the BET, this is how it should be from a fairness standpoint. How many times, in a BCS conference, does a team that ordinarily would not have made the tournament actually won the conference tournament? Not a lot. I don't count the smaller conferences - there's always a sub-.500 team that gets hot, but they're usually in the one-bid leagues.

ivy gets it right in hoops--should do away with all postseason tournaments---ncaa bids go on regular season records and strength of scheduel
Why? There are conference tournaments all over sports. The NFL, NBA, NHL and MLB all have tournaments to determine Conference champions. The big conference teams that get left out of the NCAA have no chance to win it. Hell, SU just joined a conference which has a tournament to determine its football champion. Where are complaints about that?

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

I think if you don't play a full round robin you need a conference tournament.

As much as I love the BET, this is how it should be from a fairness standpoint. How many times, in a BCS conference, does a team that ordinarily would not have made the tournament actually won the conference tournament? Not a lot. I don't count the smaller conferences - there's always a sub-.500 team that gets hot, but they're usually in the one-bid leagues.

The one bid leagues are the ones that have no reason to have a conference tournament. If their best team got in every year they might slide to a 14 seed and win a game and become a sensation for a few days. Get enough of those and your league perception goes up and you might become a two bid league.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

It will be interesting how SU does in the NCAA Lacrosse tourney particularly considering they wouldn't have made it without winning the BE tournament.

The one bid leagues are the ones that have no reason to have a conference tournament. If their best team got in every year they might slide to a 14 seed and win a game and become a sensation for a few days. Get enough of those and your league perception goes up and you might become a two bid league.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Yeah, it's kind of a weird spot. ESPN pays them for the conference tournament, and they get on TV every year, but you are right that the best way for a smaller league to get pub is to have a team wina few rounds in the conference touramentt, and the best way for that to happen is to have the best team make the tournament.

It will be interesting how SU does in the NCAA Lacrosse tourney particularly considering they wouldn't have made it without winning the BE tournament.

Great point and made me laugh a little because a lot of our fans were really against creating a Big East lacrosse conference. I was indifferent to it, so this isn't meant to come off as an "I told you so!" but I think this scenario is what the Athletic Department saw when forgoing independence.

With $19 billion dollar endowments, the Ivy schools don't need the cash generated by a tourney. Everyone else......