Ivy League | Syracusefan.com

Ivy League

Shenexon

All American
If money is the ultimate driver in conference affiliation, why wouldn't Princeton, Penn, Cornell, or other Ivy League teams be added to the list of options? Cornell makes a fine New York option for the B1G, Princeton makes a fine option for the ACC in New Jersey, etc. I suspect that the Ivy League schools like money as much as other more openly corrupt institutions. Is the Ivy League immune from greed? Are they outcasts?

I think being an Ivy is way too prestigious to step away from.

And, oh man, are the Ivys greedy. But they make their money in a different way and don't need TV rights.

And schools like Duke, UVA and Vandy with $3B or greater endowments don't need TV money either. That's why UVA leaving to go to the Big 10 for more TV money didn't make sense, and still doesn't make sense.

This only reinforces the fact that if Vandy determines the ACC is the best conference for it's school's profile, then money isn't going to be a big factor on them making a move. If the ACC should be targeting any school, it should be Vandy and Vandy first (and I hope they have opened the lines of communication).

That way it softens the blow if you have to take a less academically attractive school to appease FSU.

And schools like Duke, UVA and Vandy with $3B or greater endowments don't need TV money either. That's why UVA leaving to go to the Big 10 for more TV money didn't make sense, and still doesn't make sense.
I hope that the criteria for conference affiliation goes beyond sports-related income. I think SU is very compatible with many ACC schools and is a good fit culturally. I'd like to hope that the other ACC schools feel the same way and work together to support the economic and competitive viability of the ACC. Is switching conferences the only path to survival? Is there no long-term scenario where everyone prospers and fits?

I hope that the criteria for conference affiliation goes beyond sports-related income. I think SU is very compatible with many ACC schools and is a good fit culturally. I'd like to hope that the other ACC schools feel the same way and work together to support the economic and competitive viability of the ACC. Is switching conferences the only path to survival? Is there no long-term scenario where everyone prospers and fits?

All schools are not in it for the money. In the case of the academically stronger schools, many don't need to be because of their endowments and their reliance on academics to drive their revenue model. Where I would get worried is if the ACC completely imploded - then all bets go out the door.