JABs Top 10 Moments as Head Coach | Syracusefan.com

JABs Top 10 Moments as Head Coach

UnderHisOwnPower

Ask yourself, do I feel lucky?
Hard to boil it down to just a Top 10 after 41 years, but here is my attempt. When he does finally retire, whenever that may be, these are the moments that will stand out to me over his great career, in somewhat of an order of importance to his legacy:

2003 Nat’l Champs!

1,000 Wins, the Dome defiantly celebrates with him 2017

1987 Nat’l Champ Game, the program arrives and is celebrated on the national stage among the blue bloods

1996 National Title Game run, zone becomes a dirty word to SU opponents

Recruits the Pearl 1983, goes on to become all time leader in Big East victories

Recruits Louie and Bouie 1976

2013 and 2016 FF runs, book ending the NCAA turmoil

Throws the chair in MSG 1984 after the Graham punch

26-4 in his first season as coach '76-77

‘12-13 back to back 30 win teams

Purdue in 79-80 as well...
A couple of fun facts about that game.
  • That was the first game (IIRC) in which JB played Bouie and Schayes at the same time for a significant amount of minutes to try to offset Glenn Big Dog Robinson.
  • That game was the same day as 'The Miracle on Ice' when the US hockey team beat the USSR to advance to the gold medal game.

• That was the first game (IIRC) in which JB played Bouie and Schayes at the same time for a significant amount of minutes to try to offset Glenn Big Dog Robinson.
  • That game was the same day as 'The Miracle on Ice' when the US hockey team beat the USSR to advance to the gold medal game.
edit - Joe Barry Carroll
I was 10. Remember watching game but not specifics. Thinkn Dad took me to airport that night...

I think you have to put the '76 win over Louisville at Freedom Hall on that list. First signature win of many.

I think the list of top games is harder to do than iconic moments. That list has to be at least a couple of dozen long, and the rank order would be very subjective. Some individual seasons would have multiple entries, and there is alot of games in 41 years! Phi Slamma Jamma in the Dome in Dec '82 would be one of my favs.

I think the list of top games is harder to do than iconic moments. That list has to be at least a couple of dozen long, and the rank order would be very subjective. Some individual seasons would have multiple entries, and there is alot of games in 41 years! Phi Slamma Jamma in the Dome in Dec '82 would be one of my favs.
Agreed. Top games vs. top moments/achievements/milestones 2 different categories (though a certain game could be included in the latter)...

Didn't Glenn Robinson play in the early 90s?

Too many, too hard to do a top 10.

Last edited:
Throwing his jacket at Duke
Well, TRYING to throw his jacket.

a32.jpg

Giving Andy Katz a suplex, while defending our good friend Bernie Fine. After a long, measured pause where he has time to think, Boeheim adds, "...and a few other things I could add, but I'm not going to go there". Does Boeheim have dirt on Andy Katz that he took a moment to jab at him in inside joke fashion, and selfishly withhold from us eager fans? I've actually grown to like Andy and his perma-grin since then, but at the time and in that situation, I remember enjoying the heck out of Boeheim lowering the boom with a Boeheim ban.

May I be the first to recommend Boeheim's Bottom Ten(tm) moments, an offshoot of The Backside? I think that would be fun, and I'm guessing some events and/or pictorials from here may reappear there as well. I think it's not disimilar to cross poliquination of Cuse nation.