Jalen Rose and Bill Simmons podcast | Syracusefan.com

Jalen Rose and Bill Simmons podcast

NFGenROC

Walk On
AS you may have see, Jalen Rose and Bill Simmons are replacing John Barry and Chris Boussard on the NBA pre-game show on ESPN/ABC with Mike Wilbon and Magic Johnson. Add that to Jalen also joining College Game Day and he is clearly a rising star for the Worldwide Leader.

The reason this thread is not OT is because of all of the Syracuse mentions on the Simmons/Rose podcast released this morning. Rose talks about how much he loved SU in the Derrick Coleman days and that it ended up being his 3rd choice after Michigan and Michigan State. The main reason SU was not selected is that his mother would have never been able to afford the Detroit to 'Cuse flights in order to see him play in person. Seems like a legit reason to me. He also mentions that he was nervous of the talent level with Billy Owens graduating the year before he would have gotten there.

Simmons on the other hand pushes Rose on why he didn't pick UNLV and when Rose would rather talk about 'Cuse Simmons gives the typical "but you would never went to actually live in Syracuse" line, obviously a lazy negative reference to the weather and town.

that's good news/bad news . . . I love Jalen, but I can't stand Simmons. I understand that Simmons is one of ESPN's stars, but personally I would have preferred that they had kept Broussard.

that's good news/bad news . . . I love Jalen, but I can't stand Simmons. I understand that Simmons is one of ESPN's stars, but personally I would have preferred that they had kept Broussard.

Broussard is more irritating than Stephen A and Skip IMO lol.

Simmons is the man.

I've really soured on Simmons, I loved him about 10 years ago.

Agreed. He's too much of a big shot now, his articles don't seem as genuine, like hes trying too hard to be witty, if that makes any sense. Same with him on tv or radio, its like hes just waiting for the next wisecrack. Did love the book of basketball though, a must read for any die hard nba fan.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2

Agreed. He's too much of a big shot now, his articles don't seem as genuine, like hes trying too hard to be witty, if that makes any sense. Same with him on tv or radio, its like hes just waiting for the next wisecrack. Did love the book of basketball though, a must read for any die hard nba fan.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2

Exactly. He's way too self-aware. And he does not have a voice for television/radio/podcasts. He was hilarious a decade ago, though.

Rose is kind of a putz; he's always come off as a bit smug and obnoxious, but I lost a ton of respect for him after his comments about Grant Hill last year.

Broussard stunk on that panel and kept getting scooped.

Not necessarily his fault. Just a bad match.

I feel like Simmons (who I love) will be like Tony on MNF. Just not the right fit.

I prefer Barry to Rose, but I don't catch much NBA anyway. I really haven't seen him analyze college much. I do prefer someone that articulates better.

I seem to remember from reading the Fab Five book that Rose was also possibly spooked off SU from potentially going on sanctions. Is the timeline right for that?

Agree with what has been said about Simmons. He's gotten way too full of himself.

Of course I REALLY started to sour on him about 10 years ago when I wrote a lengthy e-mail picking apart the batting order of the Bears in Bad News Bears in Breaking Training, and he proceeded to blatantly rip me off without giving me any credit, and has in fact referenced the batting order numerous times since then...again, without once crediting my e-mail for pointing it out.

I seem to remember from reading the Fab Five book that Rose was also possibly spooked off SU from potentially going on sanctions. Is the timeline right for that?

Yes.

Agree with what has been said about Simmons. He's gotten way too full of himself.

Of course I REALLY started to sour on him about 10 years ago when I wrote a lengthy e-mail picking apart the batting order of the Bears in Bad News Bears in Breaking Training, and he proceeded to blatantly rip me off without giving me any credit, and has in fact referenced the batting order numerous times since then...again, without once crediting my e-mail for pointing it out.

Gotta say, this is pretty messed up.

The reason this thread is not OT is because of all of the Syracuse mentions on the Simmons/Rose podcast released this morning. Rose talks about how much he loved SU in the Derrick Coleman days and that it ended up being his 3rd choice after Michigan and Michigan State. The main reason SU was not selected is that his mother would have never been able to afford the Detroit to 'Cuse flights in order to see him play in person. Seems like a legit reason to me. He also mentions that he was nervous of the talent level with Billy Owens graduating the year before he would have gotten there.

I got a chance to listen to the podcast last night. I did not expect Rose to admit this, but the book "Fab Five," which Simmons claimed he read before the podcast, makes it pretty clear that Rose's recruitment was settled once Steve Fisher hired Rose's high school coach (Perry Watson) as an assistant at Michigan.

Of course, Rose's stated explanation is much more palatable.

Say what you will about Simmons... I don't really like him, per se... but there are probably only a handful of people who follow the sport as closely as he does. The man knows his NBA hoops inside and out and has passion for it.

Chris Broussard was outted as a phony when it was revealed where his "sources" came from. He added nothing to the studio show. Good move for ESPN/ABC

Simmons loves the NBA and Ienjoy it too, plus I like reading him. But when in his book he gets into Wilt vs Russell, and of course being a Bostonian Russell comes out on top, he loses me. I'm not saying he's not right, but if you were born in 1969 you have no credibility when it comes to Wilt vs Russell.

Say what you will about Simmons... I don't really like him, per se... but there are probably only a handful of people who follow the sport as closely as he does. The man knows his NBA hoops inside and out and has passion for it.

Chris Broussard was outted as a phony when it was revealed where his "sources" came from. He added nothing to the studio show. Good move for ESPN/ABC
I've never been a Broussard fan myself. Who did his sources turn out to be?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom