Jamie Dixon = Limiting Factor | Syracusefan.com

Jamie Dixon = Limiting Factor

RMH44

All American
Simply put, Jamie Dixon is Pitt's limiting factor. Pitt consistently plays at or near their zenith because of the style (or lack thereof) of play. Very few HS players with NBA or professional aspirations will sign-up to participate in their clutch & grab, stall ball system.

Year after year, Dixon keeps rolling out the same schit show that wins enough within conference to keep their fan base coming back but ends with the inevitable early tournament exit. Even some Pitt fans are growing tired of his BS style of play. Is Dixon capable of changing in an effort to attract more skilled players or does he continue employing his thug ball strategy?

Imo, if he doesn't change he'll never make a final 4 and eventually be forced out at Pitt.

Simply put, Jamie Dixon is Pitt's limiting factor. Pitt consistently plays at or near their zenith because of the style (or lack thereof) of play. Very few HS players with NBA or professional aspirations will sign-up to participate in their clutch & grab, stall ball system.

Year after year, Dixon keeps rolling out the same schit show that wins enough within conference to keep their fan base coming back but ends with the inevitable early tournament exit. Even some Pitt fans are growing tired of his BS style of play. Is Dixon capable of changing in an effort to attract more skilled players or does he continue employing his thug ball strategy?

Imo, if he doesn't change he'll never make a final 4 and eventually be forced out at Pitt.

I don't know, Jamie Dixon has had a lot of success against Jim Boeheim compared to a lot of other coaches. I don't think it's their team as much but just a run of bad luck. They play very well and hang with a lot of good teams. But they got blown apart by Duke. I think Pitt's problem is not a coaching one in terms of skills and team play. But there's something wrong with the psyche of the program. Maybe the Duke blow out at home is the indicator of something flawed in Dixon as a coach. They have been successful against the Orange so the psyche-out factor is different.

I don't know, Jamie Dixon has had a lot of success against Jim Boeheim compared to a lot of other coaches. I don't think it's their team as much but just a run of bad luck. They play very well and hang with a lot of good teams. But they got blown apart by Duke. I think Pitt's problem is not a coaching one in terms of skills and team play. But there's something wrong with the psyche of the program. Maybe the Duke blow out at home is the indicator of something flawed in Dixon as a coach. They have been successful against the Orange so the psyche-out factor is different.
It's all about style match-ups. Dixon has had success against JB because our zone allows him to control tempo and pound the boards. Pitt is the only team that has destroyed us on the boards this year. Their second chance shots kept them in both games. If we hit the defensive boards better, we beat them easily in both games.

Pitt, as usual, is very limited offensively. That is why they emphasize offensive rebounding and second chance points. They simply have difficulty attracting really good players to their program. Why would a Tyler Ennis or a Jabari Parker sign-up for that style of play? As I stated above, If Dixon isn't willing to change he destined for many more seasons of disappointment. Just my opinion.

If Scottie Reynolds doesn't make an incredible shot a few years ago, he already has a final four.
There may be something to his style doesn't work as well in the NCAA tournament, but it's still a one off.

Dixon doesn't recruit the top 30 guys that is why Pitt is limited. He recruits like a mid-major his teams are always led by upperclassmen Jrs. and Srs. who have developed and are more mature than most top 10 teams. Dixon's best year in 2009 was led by his best NBA prospect he has had while at Pitt in Dejuan Blair. If Dixon got better recruits who only stayed 1 to 2 years he may not be as consistent as he done in the regular season, but have a Final Four on his resume by now. That 2009 Elite Eight run was cut down by a great shot by Scotty Reynolds, but Pitt's 3 games before that were all shaky. Pitt barely beat #16 seed East Tennessee State, #8 seed Oklahoma State, #4 seed Xavier before losing to Villanova. I don't think Dixon's teams will win until he recruits a wing NBA talent and surrounds them with 2 4th year guys like he typically has on his team.

Last edited:
I'd suggest anyone who tries to recruit elite basketball players to go to Pitt is going to have trouble doing that. It's bad enough at Syracuse where we have to bear the burdensome reputation of all the cold and snow. At least Syracuse has a well established profile, and a HOF coach. Dixon at Pitt has nothing of either sort, and because of that they have to play the way they do in order to be competitive. And, as Tbone mentioned above, he's been quite successful. He's there for as long as he wants to be.

To be fair, and understand that Dixon is near the top of my coach douchbags list, I do think he tried to change this season but emphasized the old style more once Durand Johnson went down limiting his offensive options.

Cheers,
Neil

Dave85 said:

We have won 4 of the last 5 tho.

at the end of the day, it takes a bit of luck (or, at least, an absence of bad luck) to reach the Final Four. It's fun for us as fans to bash Dixon and Pitt for their lack of tournament accomplishment, but his AD is not going to make firing decisions based on it. It will take a few losing seasons to do that.

Funny thing was that most Pitt fans were praying that Dixon would take the USC gig after last season so that they could make a run at Sean Miller. Thank God that didn't happen, because there is no doubt that Miller would've provided plenty of competition for us in the recruiting department. Can't recall the last time that we went seriously head to head with Pitt for a recruit. I would say Paul Harris?