Jason Kidd hired as Nets coach | Syracusefan.com

Jason Kidd hired as Nets coach

Just throwing it out there...Warriors coach Mark Jackson had no coaching experience and has done ok.

It's a players league and it's all about getting someone who won't yell too much at the team's designated superstar.

Interesting play since D-Will is a coach killer. Pair him with an HC that was significantly better than him at his own position.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Just throwing it out there...Warriors coach Mark Jackson had no coaching experience and has done ok.

It's a players league and it's all about getting someone who won't yell too much at the team's designated superstar.
He didn't retire and get hired a few days after either , lots of time to watch from an outside perspective and learn the difference between coaching and playing

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

My immediate thought as well.

He didn't retire and get hired a few days after either , lots of time to watch from an outside perspective and learn the difference between coaching and playing

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

I fail to see how much of a difference that would make, Kidd has played for all kinds of different coaches over his career and was basically the "coach on the floor". And judging from his playoff performance this year, he would have been better off as someone sitting on the bench in a suit.

NBA teams have like 10 assistant coaches who can help him with the day-to-day stuff while he figures it out, like I said, it's all about making sure D-Will will try hard for most of the season.

I'm sure Prorokhov(?) wanted to make some headlines. He probably would have been better off as a Assistant HC first. But that doesn't mean he won't/can't do a fantastic job leading a team. Like TDTOrange said, he was like a HC on the court, and he would seem reasonable to think he would be a players coach. Especially given the fact he JUST got done playing.

I see JK being a very succesful HC. And think it's a brilliant move by the Nets. Snatch him up now before he becomes a hot commodity while being an Assistant HC somewhere else.

I'm more surprised there isn't more concern about his off the court stuff-He was just charged w/ DWI less than a year ago and now he's a Head coach. I'm not saying he should never be a head coach, but this soon?
I believe he has also been charged with domestic violence in the past.

I think Kidd could make a great coach. Was this the right hire for Brooklyn, who knows? It was clearly a PR move by Prokherov. Mark Jackson definitely hooked up alot of young guys with coaching chances now but Mark Jackson also has a young team that follows him almost like a spiritual leader. That's a much different dynamic than in Broooklyn.

Interesting play since D-Will is a coach killer. Pair him with an HC that was significantly better than him at his own position.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I've read D-Will is actually a reason why Kidd got the job. He and D-Will are tight and they think Kidd will bring out the best in him.

I'm always in favor of seeing no coaches. It amazes me how coaches are recycled to different teams over and over again instead of giving a new guy a chance.

I'm in shock over this one. A great PG and understood the game really well, but not sure how he gets this gig with no prior head coaching experience.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/9378352/jason-kidd-hired-new-coach-brooklyn-nets

Over/under on his fire date is January 1, 2015. He might last a year because expectations are so low, but the losing will take it's toll. I would have hired him as a NBDL assistant because of his career, but never would have considered him for this due to the baggage.

I don't really have a problem with this move. It's a possible risk for sure but the reward could be big. I see it as no different thyan Mark Jackson's hiring. So what that Jackson was a commentator for a few years. You think Kidd didn't analyze the game when he was on the bench during his career? I'm sure there are some things he'll need help with but player relations (particulalry D Will) and in game strategy should be things Kidd excels in. There is no doubt in my mind that Kidd has the makeup to be a great NBA coach. Why wait? I don't believe Doc Rivers or Larry Bird had experience either.

It just seems more strange to me because he went right from playing to coaching, I dunno

Players, including the Nets' point guard, seem to like and look up to him, and he'll have a two-time NBA head coach, Lawrence Frank, by his side. I'd hope, though, that a car service were included in his contract so next time he gets super schnockered he doesn't get behind the wheel.

It just seems more strange to me because he went right from playing to coaching, I dunno
Lenny Wilkens, Bob Cousy, Dave DeBusschere (at 24 years old), Bill Russell, Dave Cowens, Kevin Loughery, Al Attles, and Dolph Schayes were all Player/Coaches. Also, the 2 winningest coaches in NBA hostory had zero coaching experience when they were hired (Lenny Wilkens & Don Nelson who are also #1 and #3 on the all-time losses list).

I know, but this isn't the player/coach era.

What do I know? he'll probably do great

Lenny Wilkens, Bob Cousy, Dave DeBusschere (at 24 years old), Bill Russell, Dave Cowens, Kevin Loughery, Al Attles, and Dolph Schayes were all Player/Coaches. Also, the 2 winningest coaches in NBA hostory had zero coaching experience when they were hired (Lenny Wilkens & Don Nelson who are also #1 and #3 on the all-time losses list).
And, of course, there was the great player/coach Red Klotz.