Jason Kidd likely leaving Brooklyn, possibly heading to Milwaukee? | Syracusefan.com

Jason Kidd likely leaving Brooklyn, possibly heading to Milwaukee?

Melancer46

Living Legend
What an amazing turn of events. Basically, Kidd tried to get the job with Brooklyn as President of Basketball Operations and was turned down, and it's basically turned into a pissing match. He's most likely about to be fired, and is currently interviewing with Milwaukee for either the head coaching job or to be the President & Head Coach like SVG, Doc Rivers, Flip Saunders, etc.

Meanwhile, Brooklyn is supposedly bringing Mark Jackson in for an interview.

Link: http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on...rview-with-bucks-after-failed-nets-power-play

Last edited:
Even though Kidd stunk early on the fact Billy King is a GM after his job performance with Philadelphia and the job he has done with Brooklyn means I don't blame Kidd for wanting him out. Brooklyn has no first round picks for the like the next 5 yrs I would give that job to Kidd.
Mark Jackson would be smart to wait for Indiana to pop Frank Vogel and go after that job I wouldn't want the Nets job.

Even though Kidd stunk early on the fact Billy King is a GM after his job performance with Philadelphia and the job he has done with Brooklyn means I don't blame Kidd for wanting him out. Brooklyn has no first round picks for the like the next 5 yrs I would give that job to Kidd.
Mark Jackson would be smart to wait for Indiana to pop Frank Vogel and go after that job I wouldn't want the Nets job.

Jackson to Indiana makes a lot of sense.

Well, imagine if you are the GM or coach for the bucks. you just handled a draft and now this comes out of nowhere. the timing is really really bad.

Well, imagine if you are the GM or coach for the bucks. you just handled a draft and now this comes out of nowhere. the timing is really really bad.

They knew their jobs were in jeopardy anyways, but yeah, gotta be awkward for them.

If Milwaukee is dumb enough to give up a 1st round pick for a soon-to-be-fired coach, I don't even know... I can't handle this.

All about money. Kidd is making "only" $2.5 mil a year, which seemed reasonable for a guy with no prior coaching experience. Now that Kerr and Fisher have signed for $5 mil a year the market has changed and Kidd is unhappy. So he came up with a creative way to force his way out. Maybe he isn't best buddies with Billy King but it always comes down to money. Now he can go to the Bucks, where has a relationship with the new owner, and get a contract for wait...$5 mil a year.

All about money. Kidd is making "only" $2.5 mil a year, which seemed reasonable for a guy with no prior coaching experience. Now that Kerr and Fisher have signed for $5 mil a year the market has changed and Kidd is unhappy. So he came up with a creative way to force his way out. Maybe he isn't best buddies with Billy King but it always comes down to money. Now he can go to the Bucks, where has a relationship with the new owner, and get a contract for wait...$5 mil a year.

I think it also could be about job security in general. He was almost fired last year, and his team will only continue to get worse with each passing year since they have no draft picks, money, or young talent. He tried to push management to think towards the future and acquire some guys that could help now while still being building blocks in the future and they turned him down.

The real baffling part about all of this is that Brooklyn is actually trying to get compensation for it, and likely will. They're going to be rewarded for having someone help them get out of their own mess.

It's all about leverage. Nets were willing to bring in a high-visibility name with no coaching experience to coach a team few else would want. Kidd almost blows it to the point of near-firing, then in an abrupt turnaround coaches an over-achieving team to more playoff wins than they deserved. Next year's Nets have a bleak future with Pierce and Garnett on the downslide, and Kidd may not be able to pull another rabbit out of the hat. So now he gives ownership an offer they can and did refuse to preempt a probable firing next year when the team goes sour. Sell high, buy low -- and that would be the Milwaukee Bucks with a fresh, new Jabari Parker to build on. Kidd always had great court vision as a player, seeing the next play ahead of him. He's just adapted it now to the coaching level.-VBOF

Will someone in the NBA hurry up and grab Ollie out of Storrs so the final nail in the coffin is delivered?

I didn't realize Milwaukee had a coach this is a real sleezy move by Kidd. With that said the fact Billy King is a GM just bongles my mind. King understands the salary cap horribly and has killed the Nets future.

Well, I'm a regular visitor here, but Milwaukee has certainly had its share of visitors. The French missionaries and explorers were coming here as early as the late 1600s to trade with the Native Americans.

Kidd strikes me as a pretty sharp basketball mind, but a little loony otherwise.

And what the hell are the Bucks doing? Surely they have no aspirations of contending for anything of importance over the next few years? Drew is a crappy coach, but there's other coaches on the open market that you wouldn't have to give away draft picks for. Kidd doesn't move the needle that much.

Kidd strikes me as a pretty sharp basketball mind, but a little loony otherwise.

And what the hell are the Bucks doing? Surely they have no aspirations of contending for anything of importance over the next few years? Drew is a crappy coach, but there's other coaches on the open market that you wouldn't have to give away draft picks for. Kidd doesn't move the needle that much.

He's a young coach that developed a ton as the year went on last year. He also expressed discontent with the fact that Brooklyn sacrificed their future to go into win-now mode, coached personnel that are very similar in terms of playing style to a lot of the Bucks young pieces, values Larry Sanders highly, and is friends with the owners.

Nobody in the Bucks organization is expecting to contend over the next few years. They are trying to lay a foundation and rebuild the team. Putting a young coach in place that aligns with your teams goals and can grow with the team is an important part of that process. It makes perfect sense why they would want to bring Kidd in. The only part that doesn't make much sense is that they gave up any compensation for him when Brooklyn would have fired him anyways, but at the end of the day, all they did was return Brooklyn's 2nd round pick and then give them another one that they're hoping will be a very late 2nd round pick in 2019.

I didn't realize Milwaukee had a coach this is a real sleezy move by Kidd. With that said the fact Billy King is a GM just bongles my mind. King understands the salary cap horribly and has killed the Nets future.

It's even a more sleazy move by Milwaukee. Fire your coach first, not after.

It's even a more sleazy move by Milwaukee. Fire your coach first, not after.

My gut feeling is that we'll eventually find out Drew wasn't nearly as in the dark as the Brooklyn media has led us to believe. When the new owners came in a month ago, they made it clear to the last regime's personnel (including Drew and Hammond) that their jobs were not safe.

Usually when your team has playoff aspirations and you lead them to the worst record in the NBA, you're fired. Usually when a team gets new owners, the old coach gets fired. In this case, both of those things happened, and again, I'm pretty sure that the new owners made it clear to Larry Drew that his job would not be safe. You could even tell in the press conference when Jabari was introduced that it looked like Larry Drew wasn't mentally there.

He wasn't officially fired until after they knew that they had Kidd, but based upon what we know, Milwaukee hadn't really planned on this whole Kidd opportunity arising. It was just something that came up and they took advantage of the opportunity.

And on a sidenote, just last year, Atlanta told Drew that they were still considering resigning him while they went off and interviewed other candidates and nobody complained about that even though he was still under contract at the time.

And when he was an assistant in Atlanta, he went behind Mike Woodson's back to get him fired so that he could ascend the coaching ladder, and nobody cared about that either. But because it's a small city stealing someone away from a glamorous city, now it's the worst thing that's ever been done in the NBA.