Jay Bilas going on about boorish college coaches | Syracusefan.com

Jay Bilas going on about boorish college coaches

NYCSUGrad

All Conference
Says referees need to be respected and is specifically citing Boeheim in the Duke game as an example. Says NBA coaches do not act this way. Well, Mr. Bilas, may I say I've watched a lot of college games this year and the refs are more often than not just plain terrible in the college game. Totally inconsistent in their calls. I don't watch enough NBA to know if that's true of there too, but I frankly doubt it. Bilas is getting really crotchety lately. This rant of his really annoys me and not just about Boeheim.

NBA coaches don't act that way because like everybody else in the NBA they don't care all that much. It's a job. They show up with their lunch pails, play 82 regular season games, everybody gets into the playoffs and they play about 200 more games and then they get 2 months off and do it again. It's as soulless as working in a factory.

I REALLY like and respect Bilas as a commentator. However, this year, I've noticed that he seems at times to steamroll his opinion unlike before. I still really respect his opinion, but wish he would be less of an authority that some times he thinks he is. He does appear to be over confident in his role at times which takes away from his commentary.

On a side note.. I actually miss Coach Knight. He wasn't exciting, but I always learned at least something from him every game he was involved with. He never had an agenda other than calling or talking about a game the way he saw it rather than promoting himself.

I actually agree with Bilas and you. College refereeing is a joke, but many college coaches are way out of hand in their reactions.

The thing is Boeheim is rarely one of the college coaches who is out of line. His reaction against Duke was not the norm, but it was an easy example to point to given that he went nuts in one of the most watched college games of the year.

Some of these guys, like Dixon and Pitino, are always going nuts.

It's true, some coaches do try to get away with things, like the ones who can't seem to stay in the box and roam about the court, or act like they've been poisoned in order to get a make up call from the refs. But that's not the majority. The refs have given the coaches plenty to get angry with. It's not just this year or this conference. We complained forever about Burr and Higgins in the Big East, and a couple of others. It's not just bias on the fan's part. We see bad calls both ways. Of course we get more upset when they're against our team. It's the inconsistency, and sometimes blatant disregard for the rules altogether, that are maddening. The NCAA doesn't seem to give a crap either.

The ACC and SU should have suspended JB for his behavior. He was totally out of control. Coaches need to stay off the floor and they should be T'd whenever they get 3 feet on the floor. You can't bitch about Dixon and other coaches being on the floor and then have JB running out to center court to scream and curse at an official. The rapport between coaches and officials are atrocious and need to be corrected. If you're going to suspend players for boorish behavior, you better do the same for coaches.

JB's behavior was beyond embarrassing. Mainly for him, but also for the university. Other coaches are far more animated during the game, but I can't remember the last time someone so openly threw out curse words in the middle of the court for the whole world to observe. Eustachy comes to mind, but not many others.

The ACC and SU should have suspended JB for his behavior. He was totally out of control. Coaches need to stay off the floor and they should be T'd whenever they get 3 feet on the floor. You can't bitch about Dixon and other coaches being on the floor and then have JB running out to center court to scream and curse at an official. The rapport between coaches and officials are atrocious and need to be corrected. If you're going to suspend players for boorish behavior, you better do the same for coaches.

Boeheim did it once and got ejected.

Dixon is out on the court going nuts every game(not to the same level, but still he does it a lot) and rarely even gets T'd up. He should get nailed with one every time.

Jay Bilas over the years has probably been more vocal about poor officiating than any single talking head.

This is the first criticism I have seen him direct at JB.

Apparently he really didn't like JB's act at his alma mater near the end of that game.

It probably struck a cord in his Duke blue blood veins that he didn't like.

What's that saying, blood runs thicker than water?

Says referees need to be respected and is specifically citing Boeheim in the Duke game as an example. Says NBA coaches do not act this way. Well, Mr. Bilas, may I say I've watched a lot of college games this year and the refs are more often than not just plain terrible in the college game. Totally inconsistent in their calls. I don't watch enough NBA to know if that's true of there too, but I frankly doubt it. Bilas is getting really crotchety lately. This rant of his really annoys me and not just about Boeheim.

That's because NBA refs are held accountable for their job performance, and there is a ton less variation compared to NCAA officiating.

The way the college game is officiated is a joke, and needs to change.

RF2044 said:
That's because NBA refs are held accountable for their job performance, and there is a ton less variation compared to NCAA officiating.

The way the college game is officiated is a joke, and needs to change.

This...

I REALLY like and respect Bilas as a commentator. However, this year, I've noticed that he seems at times to steamroll his opinion unlike before. I still really respect his opinion, but wish he would be less of an authority that some times he thinks he is. He does appear to be over confident in his role at times which takes away from his commentary.

On a side note.. I actually miss Coach Knight. He wasn't exciting, but I always learned at least something from him every game he was involved with. He never had an agenda other than calling or talking about a game the way he saw it rather than promoting himself.
I wonder if not having Raf there this year is the reason. Bilas has definitely taken a larger role in the broadcasts than he has in the past.

JB's behavior was beyond embarrassing. Mainly for him, but also for the university. Other coaches are far more animated during the game, but I can't remember the last time someone so openly threw out curse words in the middle of the court for the whole world to observe. Eustachy comes to mind, but not many others.

It happened twice just yesterday. It happened at Iowa early in the year. It is not an isolated incident.

The great irony in Bilas complaining about how poorly college coaches treat officials is that his old coach at Duke has made a career out of intimidating and berating officials.

You don't develop the reputation Duke home cooking has without having a coach who cultivates it. It doesn't have stuff to do with how close the students are to the court.

Jay Bilas over the years has probably been more vocal about poor officiating than any single talking head.

Apparently he really didn't like JB's act at his alma mater near the end of that game.

Now all of the Duke fans hate us in the extreme, because Boeheim's behavior robbed them of the "pleasure of our win."

He's close to jumping the shark.

Amen. Bilas has been more and more preachy in his comments and intolerant of his sidekicks, particularly when Duke is involved. Give me Knight or Bill Walton.

Bilas is coming off more preachy and self-righteous this year. He misses Raftery and McDonough to balance, keep him on point and from coming off as arrogant. Bilas the lawyer is now coming off as judge and jury as a sports broadcaster without his prior strong broadcast partners.

No doubt JB over reacted, got himself tossed, admitted that he overreacted but just as I feared, JB will now become the national focus for bad behavior by the media. Too bad they don't tell the entire story - that it was his first ejection in 38 years and show film about the inconsistencies on calls throughout the game that prompted JB's over the top reaction. Not to excuse his outburst but to give the entire story with the actual context. Ironic because Bilas was a huge force in vehemently complaining about referees' calls and inconsistencies before this year. The media certainly carried the banner for Coach K on a "non-call" at the dome tarnishing a great game and win for SU with no apologies.

Bilas is coming off more preachy and self-righteous this year. He misses Raftery and McDonough to balance, keep him on point and from coming off as arrogant. Bilas the lawyer is now coming off as judge and jury as a sports broadcaster without his prior strong broadcast partners.

No doubt JB over reacted, got himself tossed, admitted that he overreacted but just as I feared, JB will now become the national focus for bad behavior by the media. Too bad they don't tell the entire story - that it was his first ejection in 38 years and show film about the inconsistencies on calls throughout the game that prompted JB's over the top reaction. Not to excuse his outburst but to give the entire story with the actual context. Ironic because Bilas was a huge force in vehemently complaining about referees' calls and inconsistencies before this year. The media certainly carried the banner for Coach K on a "non-call" at the dome tarnishing a great game and win for SU with no apologies.

Great post, Cherie.

Hadn't considered that irony.

Great post Cherie. It is a shame the entire story is no longer being told.

I am going to go out on a limb and say the "powers that be" want the story to be about boorish coaching. I do not believe broadcasters have free reign to tell whatever story they want. At some point they sit with writers and producers and determine themes that will be discussed.

It's too bad that Bilas went all in on this boorish coaching concept. K used to be one of the more boorish coaches out there.

Cheriehoop said:
Bilas is coming off more preachy and self-righteous this year. He misses Raftery and McDonough to balance, keep him on point and from coming off as arrogant. Bilas the lawyer is now coming off as judge and jury as a sports broadcaster without his prior strong broadcast partners. No doubt JB over reacted, got himself tossed, admitted that he overreacted but just as I feared, JB will now become the national focus for bad behavior by the media. Too bad they don't tell the entire story - that it was his first ejection in 38 years and show film about the inconsistencies on calls throughout the game that prompted JB's over the top reaction. Not to excuse his outburst but to give the entire story with the actual context. Ironic because Bilas was a huge force in vehemently complaining about referees' calls and inconsistencies before this year. The media certainly carried the banner for Coach K on a "non-call" at the dome tarnishing a great game and win for SU with no apologies.

I bet coach Knight wouldn't complain about Boeheim's outburst, he who tossed chairs as a coach. He doesn't strike me as a hypocrite.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom