JB - all that matters is the tournament | Syracusefan.com

JB - all that matters is the tournament

Marsh01

Living Legend
Nothing else matters.

A. Time to move on.

Nothing else matters.

A. Time to move on.
That's the coolest thing about college hoops-win the last 6 games and you're immortal.
It's also the least coolest thing-35-3 could be considered under achieving.

Winning or losing this game was not going to change what the team's attitude should be next week. Would have been nice to have the clean sweep but it just wasnt meant to be.

The tournament is the most important thing but it's not all that matters. A 30-1 regular season isn't meaningless.

This was a tournament. We failed. For once, I wanted to win both tourneys. I guess we'll try again some other year.

People don't care about Any conference championship unless you are in a small conference period! All about the real prize!

People don't care about Any conference championship unless you are in a small conference period! All about the real prize!

I care about winning the BET. I'm sorry you apparently don't. But if they play it, I want to win it. Nothing more to it than that.

It's a lack of pride, IMO, for those who don't care about winning the BET.

44cuse

The BET is the Masters. The NCAA is the US Open.

Disagree. BE tourney is a big prize.

So, in your mind, the 2005 season was a success? Because if it wasn't, then Big East championships are only relevant in the context of how you do in the NCAAs. In other words, largely irrelevant. (And if in your mind that season was a success, you are in a very small minority of Syracuse fans).

So, in your mind, the 2005 season was a success? Because if it wasn't, then Big East championships are only relevant in the context of how you do in the NCAAs. In other words, largely irrelevant. (And if in your mind that season was a success, you are in a very small minority of Syracuse fans).

How many of our season would you describe as "successful"?

And how many were "meaningless"?

I agree. Big problem last night for us was the turnovers. Very out of character.

How many of our season would you describe as "successful"?
And how many were "meaningless"?

Reality is that success is defined 110% by how you do in the NCAA tournament now. I don't agree with, but it's reality. People that still follow the Big East tournament like it matters beyond March 11, 2012 are living in the past. And are in an increasingly smaller and smaller minority. I fondly remember the 2005 Big East tourney...but 99.8% of all Syracuse fans would describe that year as a failure.

It would be great if it wasn't that case, but Bilas has made the same point - the college basketball season is one month long, with the longest exhibition season in sports. I believe it's part of why some people in college athletics like the BCS so much - they're terrified of turning college football into college basketball, with th regular season just killing time until the real season starts.

The BET is the Masters. The NCAA is the US Open.
I like your golf reference but I would reverse the tourneys. The Masters is king.

Reality is that success is defined 110% by how you do in the NCAA tournament now. I don't agree with, but it's reality. People that still follow the Big East tournament like it matters beyond March 11, 2012 are living in the past. And are in an increasingly smaller and smaller minority. I fondly remember the 2005 Big East tourney...but 99.8% of all Syracuse fans would describe that year as a failure.

It would be great if it wasn't that case, but Bilas has made the same point - the college basketball season is one month long, with the longest exhibition season in sports. I believe it's part of why some people in college athletics like the BCS so much - they're terrified of turning college football into college basketball, with th regular season just killing time until the real season starts.

I find that a very extreme view and doubt that 99.8% of fans agree with it.

I'll repeat my first question: which SU seasons do you regard as successful?

I find that a very extreme view and doubt that 99.8% of fans agree with it.

I'll repeat my first question: which SU seasons do you regard as successful?

Was 2005 - with a Big East championship and a first round flameout against Vermont - a successful season in your opinion?

I would say 2003 is our most successful season...and it does not include a Big East championship. 1987 & 1996 are behind 2003...and they do not include Big East tournament championships. 2005 has a disappointing ending that is the only thing most of the country even remembers about that season...and it includes a Big East championship. I wouldn't call it a bad year, but its a contributor to why Syracuse will be the #1 seed that media types looking for an upset will pick to lose to a #16 seed.

I don't disagree that defining success by the NCAA tournament is too limiting, but an NCAA championship with a conference tourney title included is no sweeter than what we did in 2003. Winning a conference tourney is like winning your division in the NHL - its nice, you'll probably hang a banner for it...but I can't tell you what years Syracuse won a Big East championship or played in the title game without looking it up. I can tell you when they made the Final 4 or elite 8, though.

I'm not sure what to compare a conference tourney title to, other than to say its sure as hell not the Masters. Maybe a made for TV skins game with the top players, which is entertaining while it's being played and well worth watching...but ultimately something that hopefully will be far down on a player's list of career achievements.

I would have loved to see SU win the BET. But 17 - 1 is what it is. SU is the dominant team in the Big East this year. Losing in the Semis in NYC doesn't change that.

On to the NCAA tournament --- where being good helps a lot, but you also need some luck and some breaks. Go Orange!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom