JB and MCW at the Women's game tonight | Syracusefan.com

JB and MCW at the Women's game tonight

Good to see them there

• yes

Votes: 12 92.3%
  • no

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters
'Cuse women handle Louisville...JB and MCW watching to see what they can learn and apply to better the men's team!

I was just watching highlights of a sold out Joyce Center for the Uconn vs. Notre dame womens game and then I came across this pic of our game vs. Louisville tonight. This pic isn't pregame. Its DURING the game! Now, I wasn't there and I can't see myself going in person anytime soon(although I've watched 2 games in a row on TV) But, man, that is a crazy disparity for 2 programs both in the top 25. Yikes.
BEj4z52CcAE0v2r.jpg:large

Nice win, 68-57. But that crowd pic is pathetic.

Nice win, 68-57. But that crowd pic is pathetic.

Well, they were coming off three straight heartbreaking losses...sounds eerily familiar.

Embarrassing attendance. Makes you doubt that WBB can ever catch on in Syracuse.

Great win by the women's team!!! Congrats!! And yes, awful crowd.

Im happy for the team, but unfortunately I dont think anyone will ever hop on the Womens bandwagon. I hate to say it, but Syracuse doesnt have the greatest fans. Me and a lot of the people on this board are very big fans, but I would say the majority of the town are fair weather fans. We have a football team (arguably the most popular sport ever recently) and we can barely get 30,000 fans on Saturday afternoons. How are we possibly going to get people to attend a womens basketball game on a weeknight. Especially when the Mens games are also on the weeknights. People are not going to go to the Dome two different times in the same week. No disrespect to the women, but people are not going to do that for a less exciting game. The only way I see attendance increasing is when the Men and Women play double headers.

Is Manley still functional as a bball venue? Seems like it would make more sense to have the women's games there.

Is Manley still functional as a bball venue? Seems like it would make more sense to have the women's games there.
Manley is now an indoor football field
u8a7unuv.jpg

womens_building.jpg

Unfortunately they could probably play games here and still not come close to a sellout! I'm surprised there isnt more support from the students.

It hasnt hurt recruiting for Q with being able to play in the dome that is for sure. Throw in the melo center and he should continue to attract blue chip players here. They even mentioned it last night that despite the lack of crowd its a plus for the women to play there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im happy for the team, but unfortunately I dont think anyone will ever hop on the Womens bandwagon. I hate to say it, but Syracuse doesnt have the greatest fans. Me and a lot of the people on this board are very big fans, but I would say the majority of the town are fair weather fans. We have a football team (arguably the most popular sport ever recently) and we can barely get 30,000 fans on Saturday afternoons. How are we possibly going to get people to attend a womens basketball game on a weeknight. Especially when the Mens games are also on the weeknights. People are not going to go to the Dome two different times in the same week. No disrespect to the women, but people are not going to do that for a less exciting game. The only way I see attendance increasing is when the Men and Women play double headers.

They play doubleheaders. They played one last weekend. It doesn't help. Q was shaking hands before the game. He shook my hand. He's trying. The Syracuse women would have to be ranked top 10, maybe higher, to get a reasonable crowd. People know there's a huge disparity between the top three or four teams and everyone else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am interested in WHY they were there together? (Aside from the fact that JB is passionately pro-Syracuse Any Sport.) There was a reason that JB decided to attend the game personally with his point guard. I look at it as a bonding/learning experience perhaps. Maybe Boeheim offered the game to all of his team and only MCW took him up on it. This is very interesting.

I am interested in WHY they were there together? (Aside from the fact that JB is passionately pro-Syracuse Any Sport.) There was a reason that JB decided to attend the game personally with his point guard. I look at it as a bonding/learning experience perhaps. Maybe Boeheim offered the game to all of his team and only MCW took him up on it. This is very interesting.

I have the same curiosity. I mean, we know JB is a basketball junkie, so do the players have an open invitation to visit and sit and watch games with him? How many take him up on it? Not that I would blame them for choosing XBox and girlfriends over JB, but still. My high school coaches would welcome us to their house. I remember going to my coaches house after watching little 'ole VVS beat Utica Proctor in a sectional game. He welcomed us in and was as excited as we were to discuss the game. Great bonding time, and also a great environment to soak up some knowledge. Good for MCW.

I have the same curiosity. I mean, we know JB is a basketball junkie, so do the players have an open invitation to visit and sit and watch games with him? How many take him up on it? Not that I would blame them for choosing XBox and girlfriends over JB, but still. My high school coaches would welcome us to their house. I remember going to my coaches house after watching little 'ole VVS beat Utica Proctor in a sectional game. He welcomed us in and was as excited as we were to discuss the game. Great bonding time, and also a great environment to soak up some knowledge. Good for MCW.
It is pretty common for some of the players from the men's team to stop by and watch the women play. I have seen MCW at games before, JS goes, KJ used to go all the time, etc. I think some of the players on the two teams are friends with each other.

JB going is a little unusual but as others have noted, he loves sports, especially basketball. I agree, this is a good thing.

The women by the way, are a fun game to watch play. It is too bad they have no more home games. Kayla Alexander (far right) is one of the best players SU has ever had. Lacey and Carmen are not exactly chopped liver, either.

rp_primary_WBB_Seniors.jpg

JB wanted MCW to see some good point guard play so he could learn

Here is what Juli Boeheim tweeted last night

Juli G Boeheim@JuliBoeheim
Great birthday!

Now was it a great birthday because JAB spent it at the womens game or was it because the Cuse beat her home state Cardinals. I would guess she probably grew up as a UK fan, so one of her arch rivals was Louisvill.e

MCW was also at the womens' game on Sat, though he left at halftime. The attendence last night was bad and is usually low. However the 9:00 start time did not help at least for last night. I usually take my daughters to the games (Free tix for Cuse Kids Club members). There was no way I could take them last night.

If the SU women's team can sustain their success from this year and continue to improve in the rankings then the crowds will come. UConn and Notre Dame didn't start drawing sell-out crowds because everyone in Storrs and South Bend just can't live without women's hoops. Those programs have given their universities sustained excellence.

SU can do the same thing. Its a basketball school after all. Start competing with those elite programs and people will get excited. The move to the ACC will help, keeping ND as a conference opponent and Duke as well.

If the SU women's team can sustain their success from this year and continue to improve in the rankings then the crowds will come. UConn and Notre Dame didn't start drawing sell-out crowds because everyone in Storrs and South Bend just can't live without women's hoops. Those programs have given their universities sustained excellence.

SU can do the same thing. Its a basketball school after all. Start competing with those elite programs and people will get excited. The move to the ACC will help, keeping ND as a conference opponent and Duke as well.

I don't know if the UConn parallels will work with SU. UConn built its program by (1) having an undefeated season in a state starved for its own athletic success and (2) by selling an image of the "All American Girl" in Rebecca Lobo, Jennifer Rizzoti, Shea Ralph and Sue Bird to parents of young children (especially young girls) and senior citizens who may have been turned off by the "urban" elements of the men's game. Still, these are two populations that SU should court to its women's games next year.

Still, sustained success may be more easily available in the ACC. With UConn and Notre Dame there is no chance for anyone else to win a BE championship. While Duke is strong in the ACC, they aren't nearly as dominating as UConn is. You also have to figure that ND has a great program, but until the last few years it has trailed UConn. Don't know if they will be able to sustain their run of Final Fours once Diggins is gone.

A realistic goal for Syracuse is to average 4,000 a game in two years. To do that they need to start scheduling better OOC games and market specifically to the demographics that have historically supported women's basketball (seniors and little girls).

I don't know if the UConn parallels will work with SU. UConn built its program by (1) having an undefeated season in a state starved for its own athletic success and (2) by selling an image of the "All American Girl" in Rebecca Lobo, Jennifer Rizzoti, Shea Ralph and Sue Bird to parents of young children (especially young girls) and senior citizens who may have been turned off by the "urban" elements of the men's game. Still, these are two populations that SU should court to its women's games next year.

Still, sustained success may be more easily available in the ACC. With UConn and Notre Dame there is no chance for anyone else to win a BE championship. While Duke is strong in the ACC, they aren't nearly as dominating as UConn is. You also have to figure that ND has a great program, but until the last few years it has trailed UConn. Don't know if they will be able to sustain their run of Final Fours once Diggins is gone.

A realistic goal for Syracuse is to average 4,000 a game in two years. To do that they need to start scheduling better OOC games and market specifically to the demographics that have historically supported women's basketball (seniors and little girls).

I would think that Q would take 2500-3000 for each game and call it a day. If they ever got 4000 DG would be doing backflips with the cheerleaders during timeouts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom