JB on Axeman | Syracusefan.com

JB on Axeman

Brent asked about Jim saying he wanted to "rest some starters". Jim: "I don't know that I said it that way. We played Baye, James and Rakeem last night. we'd like to see them get a few more minutes. James early in the year, when he made some shots, got a lot of time. He's struggled so much it's hard to get him minutes. CJ's playing well so you can't take him out. The minutes shrink if you don't play well. Baye hasn't been playing as well. Rakeem starts off the game and makes a defensive mistake. He pushes a guy you can't do that. Fab and CJ said he was tired at the end of the game and that's not good. We want to get those guys in, predicated on doing good things. I'd like to see Michael in there and give him some opportunity to contritbute. Last night we put the three guys in off the bench as we alsways do but they've got to play well."

About James missing shots. "It's a hard question. it's been 10-12-14 games now. He really clicked in at NC State and that's why we were a different team. if we played NC State as we're playing now we'd be behind. We won that game because we shot 60% from the three point line. We're a different team when we make shots. We could try to play a three guard line up but that's difficult to do when we are having problems rebounding already."

"I like to look at wins. You can't just look at losses. (There aren't many to look at this year.) At Rutgers we scored 7-8 points in 10-12 minutes. We've been winning but we've been struggling. Dion has to be able to score. He's missing shots he was making early in the year. His three point percentage is way down and he's not finsihing some drives. When you aren't shooting, you have to go to the basket. That's what Kris did last night. We had great shooting games vs. UCONN and St. John's and that wasn't too far in the past."

"This isn't pro football. We try to win every game. We will try to get the other playeers some more time vs. Connecticut but we want to win the game. "

Brent asked about the slower paced games. "If you watch a lot of games in college basketball, thyeyere are a lot of games in the 50's and 60's. We try to press a little. Our press is OK, not great. it's all right. We don't have a great pressing team. we don't want Fab to get caught in 2 on 1 situations and get in foul trouble we need him at the end of the game. We try to put Baye in there for the press. Fan controls that middle area and amkes them shoot form out side. That's one of the reasons why we win close games. If there is a guy we have to have out there, it's him. We used the press 30 mintues at Notre Dame and got beat by 10 points. "

Brent asked about offensive rebounding: is it diffitcult to simulate in rpactice? "No, you can work on it in practice. They kept a guy on Fab no matter what. One of the reaosn Kris was able to get his own rebound was that their big guys was taking out Fan on every play. That doesn't appear in the stat sheet. Another effect is that Scoop could get that three point play because they were afraid of the lob. Fab got 6 blocks and 2 charges. That's potentially 12 points in the game. "

They talked about CJ Fair. "Fab's man helps out on the guards and that creates a space for CJ. Our guards have been getitng the ball to CJ but he's been solid. But Scoop has been the key to the team from day one, running the offense and getting the ball to people. "

Brent asked about players leaving early. "I don't think about it. We've had players leave for 20 years. it's fine for specualtion but it has no effect on what we are trying to do here."

About the UCONN game and Jim Calhoun. "He's going to try to get back if this surgery is successful. They have every opportunity to got 9-9 and they are #1-2 in strenght of scheudle and RPI is top ten. For 35 mitneus we played as well as we could play and were up 2- at home. Then we played better. Obviously it will be a great test for us down there."

Are we "going Oregon"? "No- we've worn different uniforms over the years. I told NIKE there was no problem. The players liked them. I didn't think there would be so much controversy. "

You can listen to the podcast, (when it's up) here: http://www.espnradio1260.com/showdj.asp?DJID=44208

Yes, thank you, SWC, for all your hard work!

SWC should have an even better post/ like ratio... Come on guys, get on the "like" train. He and OE work their asses off for this board.

A little Tony Reali & fact checks

"We played Baye, James and Rakeem last night"

The group got a total of 14 minutes 7-6 & 1 minutes respectively, let's see how that changes in the last two games and maybe MCW emerges from the doghouse.

"If we played NC State as we're playing now we'd be behind. We won that game because we shot 60% from the three point line."
We were 11 for 21 from three vs NC ST or 52% so saying 60% is a bit of an exaggeration but wouldn't it be nice to do that some game?

"His three point percentage is way down"
He was one-for-one last night, so that's a step in the right direction but JB is right. Dion was coming off of 4 straight poor performances (0-3 Rutgers/ 1-4 Louisville/ 1-2 UConn/ 1-6 G Town)

"We had great shooting games vs. UCONN and St. John's and that wasn't too far in the past."
We shot 55% vs St John's and 59% vs UConn I'll take that for the rest of the season

"We used the press 30 mintues at Notre Dame and got beat by 10 points. "
If we pressed for 30 minutes I must have been watching the wrong game.

"Fab got 6 blocks and 2 charges. That's potentially 12 points in the game. "
If my math is correct that would be 16 points potentially.

"Brent asked about players leaving early. "I don't think about it."
JB himself has brought it up several times recently going as far as suggesting that Dion & Fab are headed to the draft.

"They (UConn) have every opportunity to got 9-9" (I'm assuming 9-9 in the Big East)
They are now 7-8 and could get to 10 & 8

SWC should have an even better post/ like ratio... Come on guys, get on the "like" train. He and OE work their asses off for this board.

You're right. Done.

"They (UConn) have every opportunity to got 9-9" (I'm assuming 9-9 in the Big East)

I think Jimmy's expecting the win on Saturday... :)

"Fab got 6 blocks and 2 charges. That's potentially 12 points in the game. "
If my math is correct that would be 16 points potentially.

I think he was subtracting the points for the two goal tending calls. The defensive one that gave USF points and the one on Scoops(?) shot that was almost all the way through the cylinder when Melo decided to try to touch it taking points off of the board.

Clearly he knows they have no chance to beat us, therefore he's being charitable in assuming they could win their other two remaining games.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom