JB, "One of the best defensive players we have ever had" | Syracusefan.com

JB, "One of the best defensive players we have ever had"

Townie72

All American
In his FSU post-game presser JB called Lydon “One of the best defensive players we have ever had”. This to me is headline news and not that Gillon has finally figured out how to get into the lane and what to do with the ball when he does.

He went on to say that Lydon was better defensively than many of the great centers we have had at SU He said he was 6’10” and that he had “good timing”, good positioning” and “a good feel for the game”.

Boeheim, who doesn’t dole out such extreme praise that often, also said the on offense Lydon was a huge factor. He said, “No one will give him any shots”. When he plays “high” they have to guard him and this is what opens up the lane for the guards.

For those trying to understand what makes this year’s team tick, this is indispensable knowledge from the most (possibly only) credible source.

It's amazing how many on here ignore or don't even listen to what JB says.

Gillon and Battle (White too) have to continue driving it. Our hi screen offense is starting to take shape. If they can successfully get into the lane it will drag that opposing center down and then those guys need to kick it out to Lydon (who should be open) or another shooter like White. I could be wrong but all the great teams i see can play inside out basketball like that, ie gotta make that pass out sometimes instead of always looking for your own shot. We are just starting to figure it out imo. It just didnt click before ACC, but imo after BC loss it is starting too. And you are correct, we should listen to JB and i believe he said yesterday that this team as a whole is just starting to figure out his offensive and defensive systems. White said it too, ie it takes many months to figure out the zone...

In his FSU post-game presser JB called Lydon “One of the best defensive players we have ever had”. This to me is headline news and not that Gillon has finally figured out how to get into the lane and what to do with the ball when he does.

He went on to say that Lydon was better defensively than many of the great centers we have had at SU He said he was 6’10” and that he had “good timing”, good positioning” and “a good feel for the game”.

Boeheim, who doesn’t dole out such extreme praise that often, also said the on offense Lydon was a huge factor. He said, “No one will give him any shots”. When he plays “high” they have to guard him and this is what opens up the lane for the guards.

For those trying to understand what makes this year’s team tick, this is indispensable knowledge from the most (possibly only) credible source.

It's amazing how many on here ignore or don't even listen to what JB says.
First, JB said a little bit more than that. He clearly said "in the middle".

Second, most on here have known this all year so what's your point?

he does a nice job in the middle.. still a bit small, but makes up for it with moving and hustle.

it also helps there are few real centers any more so size is less of an issue.. that FSU kid is a monster but has no post moves at all. We have one of the few centers in the ACC that actually tries to score down low, but he cant get on the court or stop traveling.

I imagine JB realized that we were totally undersized going against the Fl St huge line up. In addition he must have worried we lacked the depth to battle 40 minutes inside against the waves of players they use. They have 5 players 6'9" and over including 2 that were over 7 feet. No wonder he was thrilled with Lyndon's 6 blocks, 11 rebounds while getting only 3 fouls. He did do an amazing job and I forgive his hyperbole yesterday.We ended up tying them with 22 points scored in the paint.

In his FSU post-game presser JB called Lydon “One of the best defensive players we have ever had”.

I'll take it one step further and say that Lydon is one of the most complete players that we have ever had. I imagine five years from now that he will be starting for a top NBA team and not a bottom feeder that some of our players end up on (not really a knock on them).

First, JB said a little bit more than that. He clearly said "in the middle".

Second, most on here have known this all year so what's your point?
"Most on this have known it all year"?

Well, I'm surprised you didn't say so. I'll check back and see if there are any posts from you telling us that.

Here's the difference, of course. When JB says he is what you call a "highly credible source".

"Most on this have known it all year"?

Well, I'm surprised you didn't say so. I'll check back and see if there are any posts from you telling us that.

Here's the difference, of course. When JB says he is what you call a "highly credible source".
I have about a hundred posts noting that Lydon is far and away the best 5 and that when he plays the 4 we're awful at the 4/5.

I imagine JB realized that we were totally undersized going against the Fl St huge line up. In addition he must have worried we lacked the depth to battle 40 minutes inside against the waves of players they use. They have 5 players 6'9" and over including 2 that were over 7 feet. No wonder he was thrilled with Lyndon's 6 blocks, 11 rebounds while getting only 3 fouls. He did do an amazing job and I forgive his hyperbole yesterday.We ended up tying them with 22 points scored in the paint.
I, too, will accept the hyperbole, but I also remember Etan Thomas.

One thing I never get is why TT plays the 5 and Lydon the 4. I thought I seemed to remember that early in the year TT played the 4 some. I feel as though he is more agile than Lydon and I think can cover the ocrners faster. I also believe he'd be less of a liability at the 4. Although I suppose you could argue that there's more rotations to know at the wings than there is at the C.

re: Lydon. Watching him in Maui last year vs. UConn was when he first really stood out. His timing seems to be impeccable. He rarely gets called for fouls on block attempts. Someone like Brimah blocks a lot of shots, but he also commits a lot of fouls. Lydon picks his spots very well.

I'll take it one step further and say that Lydon is one of the most complete players that we have ever had. I imagine five years from now that he will be starting for a top NBA team and not a bottom feeder that some of our players end up on (not really a knock on them).
Yep, and if e gets drafted around his projection, he has a chance to go to a team that's halfway decent right now.

In his FSU post-game presser JB called Lydon “One of the best defensive players we have ever had”.

Lydon looks like he has more muscle than last year. He looked good against FSU. Now the team just has to win a quality away game.

I have about a hundred posts noting that Lydon is far and away the best 5 and that when he plays the 4 we're awful at the 4/5.

Great. But what JB said was different than that. He said Lydon was one of the best defensive players we have ever had at SU.
i'm glad JB thinks so and believe he's sincere . i myself don't see it. not sure he's even top 10 defensively . wait is this an ALT-FACT ?

No, this isn't an Alt-Fact. This is your opinion versus JB's.

We all listened closely to him when he said this was "the best team we've had in a long time", which is why we were all in shock from how the season has played out so far.

He thought it was. Why would he say that if he didn't?

But as things played out, the team played together less-well than he thought it would.

What Gillon had learned at CSU had to be unlearned.

What I notice on here is how many people think their opinions are as valid as his. They aren't, IMHO.

Is Lydon what we thought Chris McCullough was going to be?

The analytics people think Lydon is our best defensive player(and best overall player), probably best at the 5 though as he is our best shot blocker.

If we went with Lydon at the 5 and White at the 3 at the start of the season I wonder how many more wins we have. I'd say at least 2 more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom