JB Presser After Pitt | Syracusefan.com

JB Presser After Pitt

I think JB still likes this team.

Maybe its just me - but if we had Andrew White in almost any other year in the last 7 - we would have cut down the nets. The dude is a cold blooded shooter. He lacks a tad on D, but I haven't seen a better shooter on Syracuse in my lifetime (I'm 28).

Maybe its just me - but if we had Andrew White in almost any other year in the last 7 - we would have cut down the nets. The dude is a cold blooded shooter. He lacks a tad on D, but I haven't seen a better shooter on Syracuse in my lifetime (I'm 28).

Demetris Nichols was just as good as a senior, IMO.

It's so hard when watching a game to figure out who exactly is at fault when a good 3-point shooter is left wide open. Today it looked like White was late covering Johnson a number of times. I can't understand how it is difficult to cover a team with exactly one 3-point shooter. Duke has 4. Look out!!

Open? Yes. I can't recall a better shooter under drees; stepping back; with a hand his face than AW3

I like his versatility as a shooter. it doesn't have to be a three pointer. It doesn't have to be in one spot. It doesn't have to be wide open, etc. Teams used to take Cooney out of a game just by putting a guy on him.

It's so hard when watching a game to figure out who exactly is at fault when a good 3-point shooter is left wide open. Today it looked like White was late covering Johnson a number of times. I can't understand how it is difficult to cover a team with exactly one 3-point shooter. Duke has 4. Look out!!

When the guards get too close together, Or one goes under a screen which happens a lot, the forward has to compensate by coming very far up top. If the offensive player recognizes this they kick the ball to the corner, in this case it was Johnson a few times. Looks like it's on the forward but it's not, imo.

It's so hard when watching a game to figure out who exactly is at fault when a good 3-point shooter is left wide open. I can't understand how it is difficult to cover a team with exactly one 3-point shooter. Duke has 4. Look out!!
Sometimes the opposing coach just has a good scheme for attacking the zone. The overload is a conventional tactic to force a defender into covering 2 shooters. Even with one of our best zone teams ever - 2009-10 - pitino eviscerated it with the overload.

When the guards get too close together, Or one goes under a screen which happens a lot, the forward has to compensate by coming very far up top. If the offensive player recognizes this they kick the ball to the corner, in this case it was Johnson a few times. Looks like it's on the forward but it's not, imo.

Agree there are times that with proper spacing and good ball movement, you are simply going to have open shooters. The ball moves faster than the defensive player. If the defensive player has to rotate to support another area of the floor, he often has to leave a player/shooter in the area he is vacating to do that. I guess the question becomes whether you want the support rotation to occur or not?

I would think one of the nuances of a zone is understanding when to make the rotation and when, situationally based on the particular players on the floor, not to. It's hard to get the rotations down, has to be even harder to learn when to ignore that responsibility and stay at home on a particular "shooter", keeping in mind that guys are moving in and out of your area of the floor. You may look up at one moment and its a non-shooter there (who you should rotate away from to help) turn your head and the shooter (who you should not rotate away from) rotates into your area.

You have to be aware of players being substituted in and out of the game, who the good shooters are and even who the hot shooters are and then also be able to keep tabs on where they are on the floor at any given second. It's harder than it might seem, and easy to keep tabs on a guy for most of the game, but lose him on a play here or there over the course of an entire game.

in today's college game if your defense takes 3 months to learn then it's too complicated. simplify.

I like his versatility as a shooter. it doesn't have to be a three pointer. It doesn't have to be in one spot. It doesn't have to be wide open, etc. Teams used to take Cooney out of a game just by putting a guy on him.
Yep. He is $$$. He basically gets zero open looks and creates his shots by himself by making really tough shots. He isn't the best at creating seperation but he almost makes up for it with his tremendous shot-making ability. When he does get an open look, it's basically automatic. Just a pure shooting stroke all the way around.

What I really liked was how JB refused to through his guys "under the bus" like so many complain about. The guys refused to give up. Battled back. TR is what he is, 8 pts, 5 rbs about normal. Frank played well (considering his lack of play of late) 12 pts, 2 assists, 0 TO. Battle was sick, tried to play but couldn't. Refused to be baited by a reporter. "Didn't he have 23 a few games ago, hit the winning shot". Dose seem to me that JB spends more time explaining things to his guys instead of just plain yelling at them.

in today's college game if your defense takes 3 months to learn then it's too complicated. simplify.
This. Especially when your best players don't stay beyond 1-2 years.

exactly. and we can't eat 3-4 early losses becuz new players don't grasp rotations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom