JB quote yesterday | Syracusefan.com

JB quote yesterday

IMO, one of the reasons we got killed on the boards is that the guards didn't crash the boards at all (Howard and Battle had a total of 3 rebounds between them). It seemed that as soon at we took a shot, the guards were racing back on defense. Limiting MSt's fast break points seemed to be one of the primary objectives of our defensive strategy, for which we paid a predictable price.

IMO, one of the reasons we got killed on the boards is that the guards didn't crash the boards at all (Howard and Battle had a total of 3 rebounds between them). It seemed that as soon at we took a shot, the guards were racing back on defense. Limiting MSt's fast break points seemed to be one of the primary objectives of our defensive strategy, for which we paid a predictable price.

That explains lack of o boards but theory doesn't hold up re: defensive boards. Guards need to be better rebounding. Need to send all 5 to hit glass on shots from opponents.

At halftime, the sideline reporter mentioned something about MSU's fast pace to get the ball down the court and Izzo said they weren't fast enough and would be faster in the second half. it never happened. syracuse's gameplan was to clearly get back on defense, stop their tempo and slow the game down to a crawl.

JB IS A HALL OF FAME COACH

That's how I remember it. Didn't explain. Not sure I get it.

Me too. The answer was in the context of a question about how do you manage the game flow and player fatigue with only five or six players? He later did say that you want to save your energy on the offensive end, for instance the big guys just set screens and roll, they are not spending too much energy on that end of the floor. While I think that quote is accurate, he also said he doesn’t want to run excessively to burn his players out, which will affect the zone. I think the point he was trying to make is that running creates open floor turnovers which gives us easy baskets, it is better to defend our offense in the half court.

Edit: He was very talkative in general after the game, even joked that he wanted to stay longer than the moderator would allow. He actually seemed pissed off when they cut him short. He is really enjoying sticking it to the naysayers with this run and I’m curious what else he wanted to cover if they gave him the time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom