JB showed once again why he's a hall of famer | Syracusefan.com

JB showed once again why he's a hall of famer

Cuseregular

Hall of Fame
Let me preface by saying I'm no hoop expert as footballs more my thing but being around a lot of you experts long enough you learn a lot by osmosis. And osmosis tells me that Trevor Cooney is going to be the player that is going to be the difference maker that can take this team from good to great. Other than Dirty I don't see a consistent 3 point threat with even Triche being so streaky. Think we need another consistent threat from deep. If not cooney who.

Kid has started this season struggling where if it wasn't for JB showing confidence in him, many a fan weren't even sure he is good enough to be a consistent contributor. Where JB is a genius is in leaving him in there for such a long long stretch in the second half (think it was almost 15 min straight right?) to allow him to get his sea legs under him, get into a rhythm, and get some confidence and contribute.

Nice to see him look so good out there. And that dunk! WHoa what athleticism. Not sure anyone expected that, at least I didn't. Knew he can defend and move the ball around, thought I knew he could shoot and that finally showed (did you see his relieved reaction on the first 3 he made), and now its evident he's a crazy talented athlete as well so unusual for a great shooter.

If Cooney comes around consistently and dare I say "turned a corner", we can look back to this game with JB letting him do his thing for so long to allow him to get it going. Bravo JB. On to 900.

JB is a genius...but, if he had any other real option at the 3rd guard, Cooney would be pulling splinters out. That's just the truth. He has no choice this year because Southy can't really give you minutes at the 2 with his ball handling. Cooney is going to play 5-8 mins per game, even if he misses his next 20 3's.

JB is a genius...but, if he had any other real option at the 3rd guard, Cooney would be pulling splinters out. That's just the truth. He has no choice this year because Southy can't really give you minutes at the 2 with his ball handling. Cooney is going to play 5-8 mins per game, even if he misses his next 20 3's.
Cooney will be a better player as the season goes on.

Nice to see him look so good out there. And that dunk! WHoa what athleticism. Not sure anyone expected that, at least I didn't. Knew he can defend and move the ball around, thought I knew he could shoot and that finally showed (did you see his relieved reaction on the first 3 he made), and now its evident he's a crazy talented athlete as well so unusual for a great shooter.

From seeing his HS videos, I have been waiting for a dunk like that. This kid is not GMac. He's not even Devendorf. He's got bigtime athleticism and strength.

That's harsh, but accurate.

Southy and Triche will be the guys who most consistently knock down 3s for this team. Cooney will simply not play enough this year to do so. MCW will likely have his moments from out there, but we will be better served if he focuses on creating for himself and others.

That's harsh, but accurate.

Southy and Triche will be the guys who most consistently knock down 3s for this team. Cooney will simply not play enough this year to do so. MCW will likely have his moments from out there, but we will be better served if he focuses on creating for himself and others.

I disagree. There is no way Triche and MCW are going to play 40 minutes a night. Trev has got to play at least 15 minutes for us to be successful.

1. JB is no genius. In any respect. He's a successful basketball coach. You might need to re-examine your standards!
2. Not much choice, other than to rehabilitate Cooney and give him some run, as we have no other options re: guard depth.
3. From all accounts, Cooney is a good shooter in practices. Any one of us on this forum would also be giving him as many opportunities to get his stroke and confidence as possible. And, there isn't a lot of genius in this forum.

Other'n that, though, great post!

I think we all know Cooney is going to break out of a mental funk. Maybe he just did. I look forward to a more GMac-like career in his future than what he showed before tonight. He's got more physical skills and the mental part is just going to take a little longer than we thought. Think about how long it took Southerland to really find himself. We saw parts of it from the beginning, but it seems this year is the first time that the confidence is really IN him, rather than something he has to convince himself of.

He's got bigtime athleticism and strength.

I don't know about big time athleticism, I think his is above average for strength but probably average athleticism for a bball player. I hope Trevor is still getting used to game speed because he's 1 step slow at times. I did like how he drove to the basket to get going. I feel like he tends to sit on the wing waiting to shot a 3 instead of moving without the ball or driving and finding holes.

I disagree. There is no way Triche and MCW are going to play 40 minutes a night. Trev has got to play at least 15 minutes for us to be successful.
I didn't say he wouldn't play. He's just not going to play 15-20 minutes per night once we're out of December. More like 10, or even less in some close games. And for that reason I don't see him as someone who will provide consistent scoring this season. He needs to play sound defense and let the game come to him on the the offensive end when he's in; JB doesn't need him to be a game changer right now.

I didn't say he wouldn't play. He's just not going to play 15-20 minutes per night once we're out of December. More like 10, or even less in some close games. And for that reason I don't see him as someone who will provide consistent scoring this season. He needs to play sound defense and let the game come to him on the the offensive end when he's in; JB doesn't need him to be a game changer right now.

I know we have a history of playing guys into the ground (ala Gerry and Jonny Flynn), but I think JB has seen the light on that and would now prefer to not kill guys like that. They really are better over the long haul or at the end of games if they have a little rest. Especially a guy like MCW who is all over the court. JB's defense has gone to another level in the past few years and I think it is because our players (guards especially) don't have to rest on defense.

I think if Cooney is not able to give us 15 minutes a game that we are capped at a Sweet 16 type season, max.

I don't know about big time athleticism, I think his is above average for strength but probably average athleticism for a bball player. I hope Trevor is still getting used to game speed because he's 1 step slow at times. I did like how he drove to the basket to get going. I feel like he tends to sit on the wing waiting to shot a 3 instead of moving without the ball or driving and finding holes.

If he's listed at 6'4" then he's probably 6'2" and he get's major elevation on his dunks. That is not easy to do. Tonight was one example and his HS highlights have others. I think he's very athletic.

He should be able to earn himself more then 5-8 minutes per game, and it'll help us. I have no doubt he is going to drain a lot of 3's this year.

osmosis?

: a process of absorption or diffusion suggestive of the flow of osmotic action; especially : a usually effortless often unconscious assimilation <learned a number of languages by osmosis — Roger Kimball>

1. JB is no genius. In any respect. He's a successful basketball coach. You might need to re-examine your standards!
2. Not much choice, other than to rehabilitate Cooney and give him some run, as we have no other options re: guard depth.
3. From all accounts, Cooney is a good shooter in practices. Any one of us on this forum would also be giving him as many opportunities to get his stroke and confidence as possible. And, there isn't a lot of genius in this forum.

Other'n that, though, great post!

I think we all know Cooney is going to break out of a mental funk. Maybe he just did. I look forward to a more GMac-like career in his future than what he showed before tonight. He's got more physical skills and the mental part is just going to take a little longer than we thought. Think about how long it took Southerland to really find himself. We saw parts of it from the beginning, but it seems this year is the first time that the confidence is really IN him, rather than something he has to convince himself of.

i bet he's near genius in IQ. easily top 2%

holy cow! Man I can see why many like to follow recruiting. I don't pay much attention until they get here and just by looking at him I'd NEVER had expected that and the dunk in the EM game. Wow. Kids multifacted. Gonna be fun to watch him over his career here I'm thinking after a bit of a slow start.

Thanks for posting that. Wow.

Read: White kid can't jump

Let me preface by saying I'm no hoop expert as footballs more my thing but being around a lot of you experts long enough you learn a lot by osmosis. And osmosis tells me that Trevor Cooney is going to be the player that is going to be the difference maker that can take this team from good to great. Other than Dirty I don't see a consistent 3 point threat with even Triche being so streaky. Think we need another consistent threat from deep. If not cooney who.

Kid has started this season struggling where if it wasn't for JB showing confidence in him, many a fan weren't even sure he is good enough to be a consistent contributor. Where JB is a genius is in leaving him in there for such a long long stretch in the second half (think it was almost 15 min straight right?) to allow him to get his sea legs under him, get into a rhythm, and get some confidence and contribute.

If Cooney comes around consistently and dare I say "turned a corner", we can look back to this game with JB letting him do his thing for so long to allow him to get it going. Bravo JB. On to 900.

Well, let's not forget that the kid airballed a couple, too. It wasn't all "titties and beer" out there, he was still struggling big time. But you're definitely right that JB let him play his way through it, until he finally hit a couple. I loved the massive ovation he got from the crowd when he finally got one to go in.

I kind of wish he would to that a little more with some of his younger players in the early season games. This year, maybe he's bending a bit in how he handles the players, coaching more for March than he usually does. I guess he has that luxury because our team plays some crazy good defense again this year. Grant is another example of what you're talking about, Doc. Jerami got a long run last night.

i bet he's near genius in IQ. easily top 2%

You're joking, right? Maybe you're hanging out with the wrong people and it's a 'relative' thing.

He must have felt good to hit the first 3 last night, I know everyone in the dome did.

If he's listed at 6'4" then he's probably 6'2" and he get's major elevation on his dunks. That is not easy to do. Tonight was one example and his HS highlights have others. I think he's very athletic.

I guess your definition and mine differ when it comes to athleticism, Stevie Thompson was very athletic for a 6'2 player. Now if we are talking white guys, I would say he's slightly above average. Rex chapman is above average for a white guy. Don't get me wrong, I think he's a solid athlete but above average is giving him way to much credit from what I've seen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom