JB | Syracusefan.com

JB

Cooper05

Walk On
I’m curious...I was born in 1977. My first heart break as a SU fan was Keith Smart. I had season tickets with my family from 1988-1996. I went to every game after culinary school in 2002-03.

My question is, I’m curious what job offers has JB had over the years? I know about the Ohio St offer way back when. But do any of the insiders know of any others. I am so a “In JB we trust” person. We would not be where we are at without him. Just wondering if NBA jobs were offered etc.

I believe I recall hearing about "feelers" put out by a couple NBA teams, but that was as far as it went. I assume JB said, "Thanks, but no thanks."

That's the only one I ever heard.

The prospect of him leaving seems absurd through the lens of hindsight, but that one was legit.

I think in summer 1995 or maybe the year before that there was some Washington Bullets talk?

Didn’t the Ohio st inquiry come out during the big east tournament? I remember being in nyc for b-ball when it hit.

That Ohio State offer seems so weird to me. We were the better b-ball program and Boeheim is an alum. We were packing the new Dome, had Pearl, in the best league, etc. It’s weird to me to think that they thought they could steal him away. I assume they offered him quite a bit more money?

Boeheim's paradise

Word had reached Rick Bay that Jim Boeheim wasn't just willing to talk to him about coaching Ohio State, but eager for the encounter. So Bay made the obligatory call to Syracuse athletic director Jake Crouthamel for permission, the telephone conversation that always inspires an awkward discussion. This time for Bay, the tension turned to bewilderment. Crouthamel started laughing and laughing, harder and harder.

"I asked him, 'What's so funny?' " Bay remembered the other day. "And Jake said, 'You can talk to Jim Boeheim if you want, but he's never leaving Syracuse. Every once in a while he feels a little unappreciated, but he's never going to leave.' "
As Bay and Boeheim met inside the coach's Syracuse home in March of 1986, it wasn't long before the nerdy, bespectacled Orangemen coach understood the truth too. "Ten minutes into the conversation I knew I wasn't to go," Boeheim said.
He wasn't just talking about Ohio State, but everywhere else. Ever. Boeheim was an upstate New York lifer. Across 27 years as Orangemen coach, this was his first and final flirtation with another job, a half-hearted exercise that left Boeheim understanding that he was fooling no one, least of all himself.
It isn't most intriguing that Boeheim never left Syracuse, but that Boeheim never threatened to leave. He's never hustled job offers to get himself a raise at Syracuse, insisting, "That's just not the way I work." Nevertheless, they know him too well there. Who'd buy his bluff, anyway? He still uses the barber that cut his hair as the freshman walk-on out of nearby Lyons, N.Y., still eats dinner in the restaurants that served him in his assistant coaching days. This is comforting to Boeheim. This is home.
"There are a couple of jobs that I would really like to try, but you'd have to leave to do that," he said. "And I really never wanted to go anyplace else."

Yeah, looking to move back to Syracuse this summer. So if you know of any good chefs jobs let me know!!

I seem to recall he offered to take the Kentucky job several yesrs ago for $10 mill/yr.

Kentucky, however, did not offer the job.

The Washington Bullets were serious about courting Boeheim and would have offered him the job, had he had any interest in leaving.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom