JB's Presser after Ga Tech | Syracusefan.com

JB's Presser after Ga Tech

I want to understand this.

JB - when you don't make shots and you have to drive, it becomes a hard game. We don't run set plays to get shots, cause we can't make 'em. So, we're trying to create some movement, create some drive situations, and the one thing, their two big guys are down there, it's a little harder to get there.

So, I think JB just said, ending at the 2:30 mark or so, that the SU offense is designed to make it hard to score. That explains just about everything.

JB - when you don't make shots and you have to drive, it becomes a hard game. We don't run set plays to get shots, cause we can't make 'em. So, we're trying to create some movement, create some drive situations, and the one thing, their two big guys are down there, it's a little harder to get there.

So, I think JB just said, ending at the 2:30 mark or so, that the SU offense is designed to make it hard to score. That explains just about everything.

I thought the same thing. He's starting to make little sense at times. He comes off beleaguered.

I thought the same thing. He's starting to make little sense at times. He comes off beleaguered.

I stopped listening after that. Can't do it.

Unless they try to run stuff/set plays in practice and the players consistently miss. So, JB scraps any semblance now of set plays/offense and they chuck/ISO into submission?

I didn’t understand that at all because I have twice sat in the Uber seats and we certainly do run plays although some are iso’s. Every time up court frank calls out a play that has a name or calls a number. Maybe he meant we don’t run plays to get a specific shot. No idea.

But length

At least if we get open shots and miss them, its much less likely to result in fast break points than turnovers on drives to nowhere. JB, TB, and FH can certainly make open mid range shots. I don't see them really getting many though.

I didn’t understand that at all because I have twice sat in the Uber seats and we certainly do run plays although some are iso’s. Every time up court frank calls out a play that has a name or calls a number. Maybe he meant we don’t run plays to get a specific shot. No idea.
Yes. Means the sets are yielding plays for shots we aren’t making so what’s the point?

Let them shoot. How much worse could it be. Until we at least try to shoot some, the opposing defenses won't play honest. At this point what do we have to lose.

Let them shoot. How much worse could it be. Until we at least try to shoot some, the opposing defenses won't play honest. At this point what do we have to lose.

That's pretty much what I feel right now.

So he’s saying we shouldn’t bother running sets to get open shots because we can’t make them? Has he seen our FG% within 2 feet of the basket?

It’s a lazy answer. You don’t need talented skill players to teach ball movement, moving off the ball etc. it’s untenable to see this iso offense when we don’t even have good ACC talent let alone NBA talent.

They always said Boeheim just rolls the ball out. It was an exaggeration obviously but it's not entirely a lie either. And if it is, it's a strangely specific one that I've only heard in reference to specific guys including Boeheim. Watching the players makes it clear to me that they're not getting much in the way of serious instruction on offense.

His comment is disturbing to me because it indicates resignation. I hope he's got the energy going forward to coach players who could be his grandkids.

All I know is we have some (usually) very level-headed, well-known JB "siders"/defenders (you know what I mean) who are really questioning some items recently (pearl31 , TinyManInside , dasher , yourself). It's an interesting dynamic I have noticed this year.

Unless they try to run stuff/set plays in practice and the players consistently miss. So, JB scraps any semblance now of set plays/offense and they chuck/ISO into submission?
I feel like that is what he is saying. We run set plays and we can’t make shots so we will run our continuity offense and trying to get stuff going to the hoop and run isolation stuff. I know it’s frustrating to watch but we literally have 3 players that can shoot outside of 6 feet. If things had gone different with Green, Tucker and TT or any one of them it would be different.

Yeah, I keep thinking about this. Earlier in the ACC season we ran a play where Frank would run a play going left and then dump the ball back to Tyus on the right wing which was pretty successful at getting Tyus a clean look at a 3. I can't recall seeing this one recently.

The screeners have to be legit threats for the offense to work. When Chuck is the screener, he is no threat, so it is easy for the defense to show hard against the ball and not worry about a roll to the basket or a pop. There have been many times where I have seen the screener slip to the basket when the defense is overplaying the ball, but Frank and even more often Battle does not give them the ball. Why would they? They have no confidence that those guys can finish or even get a shot up before turning it over. The only solution I see is to maybe try Brissett as the screener to create a more credible threat from that spot. It would have to work somewhat better than what we are doing now.

it’s frustrating to watch but we literally have 3 players that can shoot outside of 6 feet.
And we literally have 0 players who can finish inside of 2 feet. So I’ll take my chances with open 10 footers because that also gives a chance at an offensive rebound.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom