JB's Presser after Pitt | Syracusefan.com

JB's Presser after Pitt

I liked where he talks about when Pascal got mad, and then dunked it, and said he needs to get that mentality. Needs "an edge", kind of like I have sometimes have when I come on here and have too much to drink during my session.

JB said it's just not in his nature, he's a nice guy. JB said you need an edge when you're a big, but we dont seem to be landing (m)any bigs who really have it. To paraphrase Glengarry Glen Ross, "Get mad you son of a Chuckwu, get mad!".

Last edited:
I liked where he talks about when Pascal got mad, and then dunked it, and said he needs to get that mentality. Needs "an edge", kind of like I have sometimes have when I come on here and have too much to drink during my session.

JB said it's just not in his nature, he's a nice guy. JB said you need an edge when you're a big, but we dont seem to be landing (m)any bigs who really have it. To paraphrase Glengarry Glen Ross, "Get mad you son of a Chuckwu, get mad!".

Yeah, JB's right that you have/need to play with an "edge" aka a chip on your shoulder. Unfortunately, having an edgy mindset/demeanor is generally an innate inner trait, one that most/all exceptional players have, especially at high level athletics. If it isn't in his DNA, unfortunately, it ain't happening anytime soon/ever. It isn't a taught trait.

Yeah, JB's right that you have/need to play with an "edge" aka a chip on your shoulder. Unfortunately, having an edgy mindset/demeanor is generally an innate inner trait, one that most/all exceptional players have, especially at high level athletics. If it isn't in his DNA, unfortunately, it ain't happening anytime soon/ever. It isn't a taught trait.
You think Derrick Coleman might have had an edge?! :)

Well, only because JB instilled in DC that he needed to play with one in order to be effective. ;)
While that may be, I think JB might have had times when he wished DC didn't have quite so much of an attitude.

WOW ! I can't believe this was JAB at the presser, have aliens abducted his body . I really enjoyed this presser, in fact dare I say I actually may have learned something. Way to go Coach please keep it up!
I'm still in shock I guess I will save this presser and archive it for posterity. In the 42 years I've been watching JAB this is by far his best presser, nuf said!

While that may be, I think JB might have had times when he wished DC didn't have quite so much of an attitude.

Never! Certainly not on the basketball court, and that's is what JB is implying. Having an edge while playing the game, and I'm sure JB loved that fact that he had one. Now, if you're attempting to compare edge to attitude (which is not the same thing) towards how DC interacted with JB at times, well that's a different issue. You can play with a fiery edge (which again is what JB is referring to and implying here) without having that integrate to disrespect, especially towards one's superior/coach.

Back in the day, Bill Parcels told Lawrence Taylor to pick a fight with Jumbo Elliot before a big game.

WOW ! I can't believe this was JAB at the presser, have aliens abducted his body . I really enjoyed this presser, in fact dare I say I actually may have learned something. Way to go Coach please keep it up!
I'm still in shock I guess I will save this presser and archive it for posterity. In the 42 years I've been watching JAB this is by far his best presser, nuf said!
Actually I noticed a change in his demeanor after he shed his sports coat. It appeared that he seemed more "human" and praising of his players as they came to the bench.

Never! Certainly not on the basketball court, and that's is what JB is implying. Having an edge while playing the game, and I'm sure JB loved that fact that he had one. Now, if you're attempting to compare edge to attitude (which is not the same thing) towards how DC interacted with JB at times, well that's a different issue. You can play with a fiery edge (which again is what JB is referring to and implying here) without having that integrate to disrespect, especially towards one's superior/coach.
Yes. Off the court. I think the Syracuse Police Dept. wished he didn't have that edge, also.

I wish all his pressers were this insightful.

I thought, given the time of night and the way that game played out, that it was going to be his quickest presser in a long time. Not quite Big East Tournament after the Georgetown ref fiasco quick, but you know... Needed that win to just turn around the whole mood.

Boeheim has been a lot more positive on the bench this year, comparable to recent ones.

Chukwu needs someone to spike his Gatorade pre-game.

Work in progress and definitely the worst offensive team I have seen over the last 25 years, but they play hard and appear to have a little bit of upside.

Who knows... if they can hit a few shots and gain some confidence, college basketball as a whole is bad this year.

Boeheim has been a lot more positive on the bench this year, comparable to recent ones.

Chukwu needs someone to spike his Gatorade pre-game.

Work in progress and definitely the worst offensive team I have seen over the last 25 years, but they play hard and appear to have a little bit of upside.

Who knows... if they can hit a few shots and gain some confidence, college basketball as a whole is bad this year.

Years past he had Hop to be the good cop with the players. He doesn't have that now, so he has adjusted is what I'm guessing. Old dog, new tricks???

That was legit the best post game press conference I've ever seen from JB. It is so nice for him to play it straight and you actually can hear what he thinks about things. Great job.

8392e9004b296f1fd4ebf6bf1c1e5485.jpg

finding the hot shooter has been a problem since when JB ???? long long long before florida state.

img6870033.jpg

"if there's one guy making shots you cannot let that guy shoot..."
Brendan Plavich set a Carrier Dome record with 10 3s and finished with 31 points.

Last edited:
JB likes this team. He thinks they are going to get better. He likes their effort on defense (especially after last year.)
i do too

cautiously optimistic going forward. i understand that most teams improve throughout the season, but that relative improvement is tough because at the same time you're improving,so is everyone else. but this team is so young, with so much raw talent, that it should could improve to a greater degree than our opponents.

one sign i'm seeing of that: oshae seems to have found his deep shot - he's shooting .360 from three in conference play, .428 over the last 5. once opponents figure out that he needs to be picked up at the line, his inside game should open up for him. that's my theory anyway.

first third of the schedule was tough to swallow, being in every game but only coming away with 2 wins. middle third, i think the odds will predict us to go 4-2; i'm hoping the improvement begins to show and we knock off uva or lville as well. then the killer final third where as of now we'd be underdogs in the last 5. i'm not going to make a prediction on that stretch until i see what happens in the middle third.

Because of this thread, this is the first entirei press conference I have watched in years. I liked how he talked about how very difficult it is for freshmen to play and how so many DON’T play. He seemed very empathic. He talked straightforwardly and was not critical. I think he realizes we are up against it. He definitely gives me the impression that he is thinking about the team and how important it is for them to feel that they are getting better rather than wanting to tear anyone down. Actually, I don’t think he ever desires to tear someone down, but his frustration gets the better of him. He’s got to be plenty frustrated about this year but he is more restrained.

I like it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom