JB's Presser after Wake | Syracusefan.com

JB's Presser after Wake

“We don’t get assists...we dribble drive and try to score that way.” :bat:

Is he just acknowledging it now? Or was he just trying to say that it only happened tonight?

“We don’t get assists...we dribble drive and try to score that way.” :bat:

Is he just acknowledging it now? Or was he just trying to say that it only happened tonight?

That's our game this year - and you don't get assists doing it. He's just being honest. The game isn't about getting assists. it's about getting baskets.

That's our game this year - and you don't get assists doing it. He's just being honest. The game isn't about getting assists. it's about getting baskets.

This is partly true. And I'm not trying to pick apart your statement because in general I'm actually not in disagreement. Statistically speaking what you want is an exceptional AST to TO ratio with a high FG%. That's a pretty simple statement in itself as it just says: you want to value the ball and make a lot more shots than you miss. Anyone would take that. It is true that assists don't matter because they, literally, do not get you any points. But there is some statistical correlation to aggregate Team FG% being higher on assisted vs unassisted baskets.

Another way this manifests itself is in 3pt FG effectiveness. As the game evolves (see: GSW, HOU as NBA examples) to a more perimeter or 3PT oriented game, the ability to move the ball to get a better a shot largely results in an assisted basket (and assisted shooting %'s are higher here). Point being...very few players receive a pass and dribble around the perimeter and then shoot a three. If the case of SYR, the players actually do take 3s off the dribble or off that high ball screen which is a pretty low % shot (from an already bad 3pt shooting team). So in this sense, the assist actually does matter (somewhat).

And the question really isn't about assists. It is about potential assists because every assist has a 100% FG % associated to it by nature. 82games has done some analysis on this charting games using a definition of potential assist (a pass that leads to a possession event...foul, TO, make, miss, FT, etc) and found that there is an 8% (or so) improvement in FG% on assisted baskets.

Pointing out the obvious, this years team is just a bad offensive team (265th in eFG%, 231st in assist per FGM, 139th in OFF ) which we all knew was going to be the case. So there is no news here. But per the 2nd post in the thread...obviously I can't read JB's mind, but I think he's pointing out that we need to be smarter with our shot selection by trying to get more assists rather than just relying on dribble drive.

Anyhow, that's probably more than you/anyone wanted to read and just a too long way of saying that while assists don't get you points, there is some correlation to saying they do make you more effective from a FG% perspective. And when you don't shoot well, you want/need to do everything you can to improve your shooting % and therefore JB could be saying: we need more assisted buckets because we can't create off the dribble well enough (and drive and kick won't work when you are 328th in the nation in 3PT FG%).

44cuse

And adding to this, assists happen when you run an effective fastbreak, and/or you have the shooters to complete halfcourt sets. We don't run much, and we don't shoot it that well. So, our only other option is the dribble attack into the lane and dish for easier baskets, or individual "takes" by the Big 3.

And adding to this, assists happen when you run an effective fastbreak, and/or you have the shooters to complete halfcourt sets. We don't run much, and we don't shoot it that well. So, our only other option is the dribble attack into the lane and dish for easier baskets, or individual "takes" by the Big 3.

I would have whomever is the best shooting instructor on the staff doing nothing but working with Moyer and Dolezaj on their shooting during practice. Nothing is going to change unless/until we can get a fourth scorer going. Painful to watch.

This is partly true. And I'm not trying to pick apart your statement because in general I'm actually not in disagreement. Statistically speaking what you want is an exceptional AST to TO ratio with a high FG%. That's a pretty simple statement in itself as it just says: you want to value the ball and make a lot more shots than you miss. Anyone would take that. It is true that assists don't matter because they, literally, do not get you any points. But there is some statistical correlation to aggregate Team FG% being higher on assisted vs unassisted baskets.

Another way this manifests itself is in 3pt FG effectiveness. As the game evolves (see: GSW, HOU as NBA examples) to a more perimeter or 3PT oriented game, the ability to move the ball to get a better a shot largely results in an assisted basket (and assisted shooting %'s are higher here). Point being...very few players receive a pass and dribble around the perimeter and then shoot a three. If the case of SYR, the players actually do take 3s off the dribble or off that high ball screen which is a pretty low % shot (from an already bad 3pt shooting team). So in this sense, the assist actually does matter (somewhat).

And the question really isn't about assists. It is about potential assists because every assist has a 100% FG % associated to it by nature. 82games has done some analysis on this charting games using a definition of potential assist (a pass that leads to a possession event...foul, TO, make, miss, FT, etc) and found that there is an 8% (or so) improvement in FG% on assisted baskets.

Pointing out the obvious, this years team is just a bad offensive team (265th in eFG%, 231st in assist per FGM, 139th in OFF ) which we all knew was going to be the case. So there is no news here. But per the 2nd post in the thread...obviously I can't read JB's mind, but I think he's pointing out that we need to be smarter with our shot selection by trying to get more assists rather than just relying on dribble drive.

Anyhow, that's probably more than you/anyone wanted to read and just a too long way of saying that while assists don't get you points, there is some correlation to saying they do make you more effective from a FG% perspective. And when you don't shoot well, you want/need to do everything you can to improve your shooting % and therefore JB could be saying: we need more assisted buckets because we can't create off the dribble well enough (and drive and kick won't work when you are 328th in the nation in 3PT FG%).

44cuse

It's an interesting post, but assists are only granted to a player when the person passed to makes a bucket and scores points. I don't understand what you are saying when you say (twice) "while assists don't get you points." Literally, the only way you can receive an assist is when your team scores points. I like points. And as you say, unassisted points are harder to come by than assisted points. I would FAR rather see Matty M throw down a 2-handed dunk with resultant goofy celebration from a pretty Frank dime than Tyus go 1 on 3 and struggle to make one of two free throws. Tyus had two pretty passes to Matt in the last game. When he gets pressed harder, he gets tighter with the ball and passes less. It should be the opposite. You want to put two guys on Battle, great. Tyus, pass to the open guy for a dunk. That's the easiest way to beat a double team.

I would have whomever is the best shooting instructor on the staff doing nothing but working with Moyer and Dolezaj on their shooting during practice. Nothing is going to change unless/until we can get a fourth scorer going. Painful to watch.

Why just those two? I'd love to see Oshae getting some help with his shooting. That's been painful to watch.

I’m agreeing with you, but this team doesn’t have the players to consistently score on dribble drives. We don’t have shooters so the lane is clogged. Perhaps it’s time to increase the ball movement. The few times we have moved the ball the guys have looked good and have gotten much better scoring opportunities.

44cuse

I'm all in favor of improved ball movement and passing. I want to get the defense moving in response to what we do so that they open up spaces we can exploit with our drives. If we just lower our heads and drive from the three point line like a fullback trying to score in the red zone, we will be very easy to defend against. An assists is not precisely a good pass. it's a scorer's opinion of a good pass that resulted in a basket because the shooter made the shot. Shooters assist assisters in getting the assists as much as passer assist the shooter in scoring points. Assists at best are a reflection of good passing - and good shooting.

I thought the question was why doesn't Syracuse get as many assists as the other team or why don't we get the same percentage? The fact is scorers grant more assists off jump shots than they do off of lay-ups and dunks and our type of team, even when playing well, isn't going to get as many assists as a jump-shooting team like Wake and I thought that's what JB was saying.

It's an interesting post, but assists are only granted to a player when the person passed to makes a bucket and scores points. I don't understand what you are saying when you say (twice) "while assists don't get you points." Literally, the only way you can receive an assist is when your team scores points. I like points. And as you say, unassisted points are harder to come by than assisted points. I would FAR rather see Matty M throw down a 2-handed dunk with resultant goofy celebration from a pretty Frank dime than Tyus go 1 on 3 and struggle to make one of two free throws. Tyus had two pretty passes to Matt in the last game. When he gets pressed harder, he gets tighter with the ball and passes less. It should be the opposite. You want to put two guys on Battle, great. Tyus, pass to the open guy for a dunk. That's the easiest way to beat a double team.

I also went in to say exactly what you said further down in the post. It was late and a little unclear, I get that. But the point, from a statistical definition perspective is that the AST isn’t the measure of pts. FGM is which is what SWC was saying in his post. That’s all I was saying there. Now, you can argue it’s irrelevant, but they are two different things (even if, as you point out, they are 100% correlative). ASTs by nature, as SWC points out in his response are imperfect because they rely on the judgement of humans (unlike FGM where you know implicitly), but I tend to think ASTs are pretty well judged at this point in the game and consistent from night to night. What I should have said is that “the assist isn’t the actual point”, it’s precursor to a FGM.

The rest of your post is saying the same thing I was: “pass to the open guy for a dunk”. Assists are good and there is data that show they more frequently lead to a higher FG%.

44cuse

I'm all in favor of improved ball movement and passing. I want to get the defense moving in response to what we do so that they open up spaces we can exploit with our drives. If we just lower our heads and drive from the three point line like a fullback trying to score in the red zone, we will be very easy to defend against. An assists is not precisely a good pass. it's a scorer's opinion of a good pass that resulted in a basket because the shooter made the shot. Shooters assist assisters in getting the assists as much as passer assist the shooter in scoring points. Assists at best are a reflection of good passing - and good shooting.

I thought the question was why doesn't Syracuse get as many assists as the other team or why don't we get the same percentage? The fact is scorers grant more assists off jump shots than they do off of lay-ups and dunks and our type of team, even when playing well, isn't going to get as many assists as a jump-shooting team like Wake and I thought that's what JB was saying.

This is exactly the point: "Shooters assist assisters in getting the assists as much as passer assist the shooter in scoring points. Assists at best are a reflection of good passing - and good shooting."

Anyone passing to Steph Curry is going to have more assists than someone passing to Lonzo Ball (PG to PG comparison there). IMO, we do more of this: "just lower our heads and drive from the three point line like a fullback trying to score in the red zone" than anything else and the extra pass or an entry pass (yes, you need someone capable of scoring in the post to be maximally effective) or a high/low entry or even a pass to the high ball screener slipping down...are all mostly absent in our offense.

I have no idea if scorers grant more assists on lay-ups and dunks versus jump shots. I'll definitely take your word for it since I know you do your homework, but it'd be interesting to see just how much that is the case. Either way, it's a hard thing to tell as assists are also a function of tempo so you can't just look at team assists rankings. So I went back and looked at Assists per Possession to see what that looked like ranked nationally:

2010-2011: 14th
2011-2012: 18th
2012-2013: 75th
2013-2014: 119th
2014-2015: 29th
2015-2016: 103rd
2016-2017: 23rd
2017-2018: 230th

Given that this year is the massive statistical outlier, I'm inclined to believe that JB is probably referring to our just not being a very good offensive team with poor shooters and an inability to employ better passes to get better looks. This is something that OttoInGrotto and I were referring to in another thread a couple of weeks back in that our offense suffers when structure and passing are necessary to facilitate the best shot. I'm sure I'll get skewered for this (maybe not by you), but offensive execution and the tactical art of offensive design has never really been one of JB's strengths. He has PLENTY of other strengths without question, but IMO HC offensive scheming is not one of them.

I was thinking maybe you could ask him what he meant on your next call into the show. ;)

44cuse

in ice hockey you get a point for an assist or a goal. scoring title is a combo of both. as it should be.

in ice hockey you get a point for an assist or a goal. scoring title is a combo of both. as it should be.
Although you can get a secondary assist while being only remotely involved in the scoring play.

Wrong in a way

This is exactly the point: "Shooters assist assisters in getting the assists as much as passer assist the shooter in scoring points. Assists at best are a reflection of good passing - and good shooting."

Anyone passing to Steph Curry is going to have more assists than someone passing to Lonzo Ball (PG to PG comparison there). IMO, we do more of this: "just lower our heads and drive from the three point line like a fullback trying to score in the red zone" than anything else and the extra pass or an entry pass (yes, you need someone capable of scoring in the post to be maximally effective) or a high/low entry or even a pass to the high ball screener slipping down...are all mostly absent in our offense.

I have no idea if scorers grant more assists on lay-ups and dunks versus jump shots. I'll definitely take your word for it since I know you do your homework, but it'd be interesting to see just how much that is the case. Either way, it's a hard thing to tell as assists are also a function of tempo so you can't just look at team assists rankings. So I went back and looked at Assists per Possession to see what that looked like ranked nationally:

2010-2011: 14th
2011-2012: 18th
2012-2013: 75th
2013-2014: 119th
2014-2015: 29th
2015-2016: 103rd
2016-2017: 23rd
2017-2018: 230th

Given that this year is the massive statistical outlier, I'm inclined to believe that JB is probably referring to our just not being a very good offensive team with poor shooters and an inability to employ better passes to get better looks. This is something that OttoInGrotto and I were referring to in another thread a couple of weeks back in that our offense suffers when structure and passing are necessary to facilitate the best shot. I'm sure I'll get skewered for this (maybe not by you), but offensive execution and the tactical art of offensive design has never really been one of JB's strengths. He has PLENTY of other strengths without question, but IMO HC offensive scheming is not one of them.

I was thinking maybe you could ask him what he meant on your next call into the show. ;)

44cuse

Or you could call him and ask that.

2010-11
We made 936 field goals, of which 222 were three pointers and 566 were assisted.
They made 788 field goals, of which 244 were three pointers and 499 were assisted.
That means that 23.7% of our made shots were three pointers and 60.5% were assisted.
That means that 31.0% of our made shots were three pointers and 63.3% were assisted.

2011-12
Us: 1005 fgm 233 trey 565 ast = 23.2% and 56.2%
Them: 795 fgm 235 trey 496 ast = 29.6% and 62.3%

2012-13
Us: 1007 fgm 233 trey 563 ast = 23.1% and 55.9%
Them: 794 fgm 246 trey 538 ast = 31.0% and 67.8%

2013-14
Us: 819 fgm 167 trey 402 ast = 20.4% and 49.0%
Them: 685 fgm 233 trey 438 ast = 34.0% and 63.9%

2014-15
Us: 763 fgm 155 trey 468 ast = 20.3% and 61.3%
Them: 699 fgm 203 trey 459 ast = 29.0% and 65.7%

2015-16
Us: 884 fgm 315 trey 448 ast = 35.6% and 50.7%
Them: 877 fgm 259 trey 575 ast = 29.5% and 64.8%

2016-17
Us: 894 fgm 300 trey 532 ast = 33.6% and 59.5%
Them: 867 fgm 295 trey 583 ast = 34.0% and 67.2%

2017-18 (so far)
Us: 366 fgm 83 trey 183 ast = 22.7% and 50.0%
Them: 317 fgm 124 trey 239 ast = 39.1% and 75.4%

I think it was CTO who commented several years ago when I was complaining about our lack of assists that assist come more often from jump shots than from lay-ups or dunks. They are most likely to be sideways or back out from inside rather than a pass inside in the half court set. If we ran like we used to we'd get a lot of them off of fast breaks and put up numbers like the Sherman Douglas era. But we are a half court basketball team these days. The concept makes sense since a jump shooter is less likely to dribble once he receivers the ball than a guy taking it to the hole. Anyway, CTO's observation has been born out by the numbers I see since then. In the above sample we have eight years and in 7 of them the team that scored the highest percentage of their baskets from the three point range, (and who also likely would have taken the most two point jump shots), had the highest assist percentage.

Or you could call him and ask that.

2010-11
We made 936 field goals, of which 222 were three pointers and 566 were assisted.
They made 788 field goals, of which 244 were three pointers and 499 were assisted.
That means that 23.7% of our made shots were three pointers and 60.5% were assisted.
That means that 31.0% of our made shots were three pointers and 63.3% were assisted.

2011-12
Us: 1005 fgm 233 trey 565 ast = 23.2% and 56.2%
Them: 795 fgm 235 trey 496 ast = 29.6% and 62.3%

2012-13
Us: 1007 fgm 233 trey 563 ast = 23.1% and 55.9%
Them: 794 fgm 246 trey 538 ast = 31.0% and 67.8%

2013-14
Us: 819 fgm 167 trey 402 ast = 20.4% and 49.0%
Them: 685 fgm 233 trey 438 ast = 34.0% and 63.9%

2014-15
Us: 763 fgm 155 trey 468 ast = 20.3% and 61.3%
Them: 699 fgm 203 trey 459 ast = 29.0% and 65.7%

2015-16
Us: 884 fgm 315 trey 448 ast = 35.6% and 50.7%
Them: 877 fgm 259 trey 575 ast = 29.5% and 64.8%

2016-17
Us: 894 fgm 300 trey 532 ast = 33.6% and 59.5%
Them: 867 fgm 295 trey 583 ast = 34.0% and 67.2%

2017-18 (so far)
Us: 366 fgm 83 trey 183 ast = 22.7% and 50.0%
Them: 317 fgm 124 trey 239 ast = 39.1% and 75.4%

I think it was CTO who commented several years ago when I was complaining about our lack of assists that assist come more often from jump shots than from lay-ups or dunks. They are most likely to be sideways or back out from inside rather than a pass inside in the half court set. If we ran like we used to we'd get a lot of them off of fast breaks and put up numbers like the Sherman Douglas era. But we are a half court basketball team these days. The concept makes sense since a jump shooter is less likely to dribble once he receivers the ball than a guy taking it to the hole. Anyway, CTO's observation has been born out by the numbers I see since then. In the above sample we have eight years and in 7 of them the team that scored the highest percentage of their baskets from the three point range, (and who also likely would have taken the most two point jump shots), had the highest assist percentage.

2 things:

1: "Or you could call him and ask that."
Not sure why you are being so sensitive here. I was being serious. I know you post the questions you are going to ask him each week and I'm sure it isn't easy to come up with questions each week, so I was being serious in making that suggestion. Particularly since you are the one who said you weren't sure what he meant by the comment in your post. I wasn't being flip, I was being serious. Sorry you took it any other way.

2. I appreciate that you went and did all the math, and maybe I'm just tired, but is this intended to answer my question around "no idea if scorers grant more assists on lay-ups and dunks versus jump shots."? I'm just not tracking what is likely an obvious answer. Is this the data that you would use to affirm that it's more likely to be an assist on a jump shot than a lay-up? If so, that's probably true given the data...but even though it's a large sample size, 50% of the data are the same players within in each sample size. I very highly doubt it would differ materially from this looking at the entire NCAA for example, but it would be interesting to see. Just looking at Syracuse isn't a wide enough view in the big picture.

EDIT: I think I have it now after re-reading. You're saying that since the % of shots we take (and using 3's as a measure of jump shots which is probably right since we aren't talking about the Warriors or Rockets here) from 3 are less than our opponents AND that our assists are lower it suggests that there are more assists on jump shots. Do I have that right?

And back to your original question as this kind of sidetracked us from that, it still seems pretty clear that 230th in AST/POSS (on an average of 76th) means we just aren't passing the ball well or using the pass to create good looks OR (to your point) shooting it well once we get it (which is exactly why I was saying "potential assists" matters. If a pass leads to a wide open shot and the shooter misses, it doesn't necessarily mean the pass was bad. To your point, which I agree with, is that both pieces have to be working. I would just assert, that assists matter in the sense that they lead to easier baskets.).

44cuse

Last edited:
2 things:

1: "Or you could call him and ask that."
Not sure why you are being so sensitive here. I was being serious. I know you post the questions you are going to ask him each week and I'm sure it isn't easy to come up with questions each week, so I was being serious in making that suggestion. Particularly since you are the one who said you weren't sure what he meant by the comment in your post. I wasn't being flip, I was being serious. Sorry you took it any other way.

2. I appreciate that you went and did all the math, and maybe I'm just tired, but is this intended to answer my question around "no idea if scorers grant more assists on lay-ups and dunks versus jump shots."? I'm just not tracking what is likely an obvious answer. Is this the data that you would use to affirm that it's more likely to be an assist on a jump shot than a lay-up? If so, that's probably true given the data...but even though it's a large sample size, 50% of the data are the same players within in each sample size. I very highly doubt it would differ materially from this looking at the entire NCAA for example, but it would be interesting to see. Just looking at Syracuse isn't a wide enough view in the big picture.

So then the question is: why are we ~9ppts on average worse than our OPP in assisted FGM?

And back to your original question as this kind of sidetracked us from that, it still seems pretty clear that 230th in AST/POSS (on an average of 76th) means we just aren't passing the ball well or using the pass to create good looks OR (to your point) shooting it well once we get it (which is exactly why I was saying "potential assists" matters. If a pass leads to a wide open shot and the shooter misses, it doesn't necessarily mean the pass was bad. To your point, which I agree with, is that both pieces have to be working. I would just assert, that assists matter in the sense that they lead to easier baskets.).

44cuse

I wasn't being sensitive. Whenever somebody asks me to ask a question for them i point out they can call the show and ask it themselves. The contact information is in both the "My question for..." and "the Jim Boeheim Show" posts.

Yes, my data was intended to answer my question around "no idea if scorers grant more assists on lay-ups and dunks versus jump shots."

Improved passing would help any team but it doesn't mean we'd get more assists. i think it would have a bigger impact on turnovers. We're still going to drive to the basket for most of our points and what Jim was saying was that he wasn't going to change his offense to one that would produce more assists in the box score.

I wasn't being sensitive. Whenever somebody asks me to ask a question for them i point out they can call the show and ask it themselves. The contact information is in both the "My question for..." and "the Jim Boeheim Show" posts.

Yes, my data was intended to answer my question around "no idea if scorers grant more assists on lay-ups and dunks versus jump shots."

Improved passing would help any team but it doesn't mean we'd get more assists. i think it would have a bigger impact on turnovers. We're still going to drive to the basket for most of our points and what Jim was saying was that he wasn't going to change his offense to one that would produce more assists in the box score.

All right man, whatever you say. Just trying to be cool and not offend you. You deal with it however you want.

In terms of what JB wants...I stand by my statement: he's not a great HC offensive coach. Beyond great at other things, sure. But we are bad offensively and since 2010 have been in the Top 50 in OFF 3 times. I have no idea how that compares against other programs, but I'm thinking it probably isn't that good.

We'll have to agree to disagree (which I don;t understand how we got there because I thought I was generally agreeing with you) whether assists matter or not. I believe improved passing creates easier shots which makes all shooters better which would yield more assists. Making more FGs would mean more assists.

44cuse

All right man, whatever you say. Just trying to be cool and not offend you. You deal with it however you want.

In terms of what JB wants...I stand by my statement: he's not a great HC offensive coach. Beyond great at other things, sure. But we are bad offensively and since 2010 have been in the Top 50 in OFF 3 times. I have no idea how that compares against other programs, but I'm thinking it probably isn't that good.

We'll have to agree to disagree (which I don;t understand how we got there because I thought I was generally agreeing with you) whether assists matter or not. I believe improved passing creates easier shots which makes all shooters better which would yield more assists. Making more FGs would mean more assists.

44cuse

I'm also not sure where the area of disagreement is, except that the nature of our offense is such that it's not going to produce assists as a statistic the way a jump-shot centered offense will.

I'm also not sure where the area of disagreement is, except that the nature of our offense is such that it's not going to produce assists as a statistic the way a jump-shot centered offense will.

Well, maybe that's partly it. I think our offense is awful both in execution and scheme. And what we just watched, particularly in the last 5 mins (and the 3 min and 2 min possessions specifically) is a perfect example of it. High screen dribble drive with no kick because our only shooters are the only guys who drive combined with Brissett catching the ball at the high post and not even looking at the basket is awful.

That said, it may be all this team can do. And if that is the case, which it appears to be, we cannot afford to be beaten on the boards. And certainly not 42-27...and even more certainly giving up 21 OFF REB.

44cuse

Well, maybe that's partly it. I think our offense is awful both in execution and scheme. And what we just watched, particularly in the last 5 mins (and the 3 min and 2 min possessions specifically) is a perfect example of it. High screen dribble drive with no kick because our only shooters are the only guys who drive combined with Brissett catching the ball at the high post and not even looking at the basket is awful.

That said, it may be all this team can do. And if that is the case, which it appears to be, we cannot afford to be beaten on the boards. And certainly not 42-27...and even more certainly giving up 21 OFF REB.

44cuse

The game was clearly decided by the rebounding. if we break even we win easily and we had been dominating opponents on the boards. As to our offensive scheme, it isn't the greatest but we didn't even execute it today. We were 10 for 26 on two point shots and attempted only 6 free throws with 14 turnovers.

The game was clearly decided by the rebounding. if we break even we win easily and we had been dominating opponents on the boards. As to our offensive scheme, it isn't the greatest but we didn't even execute it today. We were 10 for 26 on two point shots and attempted only 6 free throws with 14 turnovers.

It’s hard to imagine it ever being worse than that. That combination is about as bad as it gets. Get out rebounded, turn the ball over, and don’t get the to the FT line.

44cuse

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom