JB's Presser: Comments to think about and some not made | Syracusefan.com

JB's Presser: Comments to think about and some not made

arbitragegls

All Conference
JB really had some things to say in presser that caught my attention and some not made that left me thinking (beginning to think we are at an 8 man rotation and when Fab comes back--it may go to 7...x out Christmas and MCW insofar as double diget minutes:

1. Rebounding is bad...but its the forwards and guards who need to board better. When Melo in he averages six but we were outrebounded by 21 (well only 15 actually)
2. When asked about Dion's confidence he said Dion's confidence is bigger than this room...
3. When asked how to give Dion more confidence as he was head down after a couple on 2-9 shooting and had a bad game...JB said he was 6-29 over last 3...Dion needs to make some baskets
4. JB said Christmas was lost out there--when asked what JB could do to help him JB said he wanted to know if Christmas was asleep
5. JB pointed out he thought Keita was active and did okay
6. Only player he said played well was BT (not sure if oversight or not)...
7. BT and KJ made some much needed plays
8.. Said 3 pt shooting has been bad since start of conference...didnt think there were any bad ones taken today...said Waiters 3s were wide open and that dirty got good looks...but nothing going down
9. Did not mention Scoop
10. Nothing about MCW
9. Did not mention Fair

JB said defense was good...TOs for 'Cuse 6 for WVU 17 and that plus 11 made up for short fall on boards...

He also said same thing Welsh did during the broadcast how our guards need to help out on the boards. The zone definitely hinders our ability to rebound defensively to an extent, but we must get our guards to help out and get those loose balls after tips or long rebounds. It seems like they are always trying to leak out on the break instead of making sure we secure the ball. 2 rebounds total from our guards isn't going to cut it.

JB said at the end that Fan is working through his issues and we hope there's a resolution this week (paraphrasing obviously).

JB really had some things to say in presser that caught my attention and some not made that left me thinking (beginning to think we are at an 8 man rotation and when Fab comes back--it may go to 7...x out Christmas and MCW insofar as double diget minutes:

It was ALWAYS going to be 8-ish. JB and most coaches tighten up the lineup when they hit the meat of the season. No way is MCW going to be part of that and even if Rak starts, he'll be back to his de-facto 10th man status once Fab returns.

MCW will play in blowouts and games we should win. I think he'll play against SJU, Rutgers and maybe one or two other games.

By the way, I don't think SJU will be easy but I think JB will play MCW IMO.

He also said same thing Welsh did during the broadcast how our guards need to help out on the boards. The zone definitely hinders our ability to rebound defensively to an extent, but we must get our guards to help out and get those loose balls after tips or long rebounds. It seems like they are always trying to leak out on the break instead of making sure we secure the ball. 2 rebounds total from our guards isn't going to cut it.

Looks like KJ finally made an effort to get boards instead of leaking out. I think he got 7 boards today, every one of them was much needed. If KJ plays 35 minutes a game he needs to get 7 boards a game give or take.

I had assumed that our guards leaking out was a conscious attempt to jump-start our transition game, which was non-existent vs ND. From JB's comments, it obviously wasn't a coaching strategy.

I had assumed that our guards leaking out was a conscious attempt to jump-start our transition game, which was non-existent vs ND. From JB's comments, it obviously wasn't a coaching strategy.

The biggest offender of leaking out has been Dion by far. In fact, I couldn't believe 2 times today when WVU was pushing the ball, he took a slow jog up court and stopped between mid court and the 3 point line. No doubt hoping for a WVU miss and SU rebound because when it happened he raised his hand. He was looking for the cherry picking type fast break layup and dunk.

is ESPN minutes right...it has Triche with a low of 24 minutes with both Dion and Scoop playing 27 and Dion 29...certainly kept the better player this game with fewer minutes...doesnt seem right...another 5 minutes and Triche would have had 7 more points...averagely on points per minute...

Xmas was just terrible today. 0 points, 1 rebound, 5 fouls. Good lord. Thats a McD AA!!

Looks like KJ finally made an effort to get boards instead of leaking out. I think he got 7 boards today, every one of them was much needed. If KJ plays 35 minutes a game he needs to get 7 boards a game give or take.
7 boards, 3 off 4 def

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom