JB's Zone Offense | Syracusefan.com

JB's Zone Offense

CU44SE

All Conference
I will probably come off as a JB hater, but I am far from that. I agree he is a great coach, but that doesn't mean I don't have any issues with him because he has won all those games. One of my biggest pet peeves, is the lack of a zone offense. Its not just this year, its pretty much every year. I always wonder how someone that only plays Zone Defense, cant develop a Zone Offense that would pick a zone apart. Its been especially evident this year, teams that never play zone defense have resorted to beating us playing zone (Marquette obviously comes to mind first). That was one of the worst zone defenses I have ever seen and we still lost. Now I know some of you will say, we don't have any shooters this year and that is why we are not executing against zone defenses. I don't like or buy this argument because we lose to teams all the time that aren't very good shooting teams. They attack the zone at the free throw line, the short corners, as well as quick decisive ball movement to move the defense out of position. Looking at five of our loses, Louisville and Marquette (much worse) actually shoot a lower percentage from three than us, while Villanova, Temple, and Connecticut (the best of these teams but not by much) are just above us in three point percentage. Looking at these teams, its hard to say you need good shooters to beat a zone. A lot of times, I feel like our passes have no purpose too them. They are very lazy passes that are not meant to move the defense out of position. Secondly there is a lot of dribbling at the top of the key with no movement away from the ball (some players are just standing in spots because they wont be involved in the play). I feel like we have very good zone busters in Fair and Southerland (not so much first half on saturday)that would be great at the free throw line and short corners. This is something that I believe has held us back in the past couple games. I am hopeful that the postseason will be different because they dont know the zone inside and outside like the Big East does. Also, not many teams will know to zone us. I would however be very afraid if we saw a zone in the tournament because as we have seen recently, this team doesnt play well against zones.

This thread is embarrassing #900wins

*Trolling dirty*

This thread is embarrassing #900wins

*Trolling dirty*

No it isn't embarrassing, he started by giving the man his due, then proceeded to blast away - ok per posting rule 45:2 section 56.

Good post btw, I find very little to disagree with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom