Jeff Graves remembers that Hakim Warrick block | Syracusefan.com

Jeff Graves remembers that Hakim Warrick block

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
10770671-large.jpg

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/03/30/3526148/memories-of-new-orleans-linger.html

http://www.syracuse.com/poliquin/index.ssf/2012/03/poliquin_the_final_four_has_re.html

http://blog.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/2012/03/syracuse_orange_win_loss_part.html

I've never seen this perspective. This really shows how committed Hak was to this block. Who knows what happens if he doesn't jump that hard and extend that far. Fantastic photo!

Do you think Julius Hodge makes that block? Great pic.

Ugh... As much as i love that, it churns my stomache that dieng is basically the 'ville Warrick and is still playing in NO this year.

Ugh... As much as i love that, it churns my stomache that dieng is basically the 'ville Warrick and is still playing in NO this year.
Not bad for sloppy seconds in the Fab Melo sweepstakes.

I've never seen this perspective. This really shows how committed Hak was to this block. Who knows what happens if he doesn't jump that hard and extend that far. Fantastic photo!
That was one of Syracuse's rare block attempts in the last decade against a three point shot which didn't result in three free throws for the opposition.

As someone who is obviously a big cuse fan (based on your post count, I assume you're a good fan) I think everyone on this board is with me in asking:

How in the world have you never seen this picture?! I am 99.9% sure I have seen that picture 200% more than I have ever seen any other picture. It was the cover of the post standard the day after.

As someone who is obviously a big cuse fan (based on your post count, I assume you're a good fan) I think everyone on this board is with me in asking:

How in the world have you never seen this picture?! I am 99.9% sure I have seen that picture 200% more than I have ever seen any other picture. It was the cover of the post standard the day after.
You are right & wrong. That picture was in the Post Standard the next day but it was not on the front page. It was on the front page of the sports section page D1.

The picture on the front page was of players & coaches embracing and some on the floor in celebration.

Here is a differnt view of the block

ncb_a_lee_in_600.jpg

AP Photo/Bill Haber
Michael Lee thought he had a clear shot to send the title game into overtime. Instead, Hakim Warrick made one of the greatest blocks in NCAA tournament history.

You are right & wrong. That picture was in the Post Standard the next day but it was not on the front page. It was on the front page of the sports section page D1.

The picture on the front page was of half the players embracing and half on the floor in celebration.

Yep you are right... But I do have both of those pages included in the obligatory cuse fan shadow box of the best moment of my cuse life.

Is that a guy videotaping? Top left in orange.

A. As a cuse fan, not how I would watch the final 15 seconds of the natl title
B. illegal?
C. Where is that footage?

theblock_animated.gif

0.jpg

Here is where Hak was ( in the lane) just prior to the block

It's a shame Fab & Dion will never have a memory like that night in April night in 2003.

No, the most popular view of the block that accompanied the news articles was a look in profile, slightly after he made contact with the ball - it's the shot with Melo and Jeff Graves with their arms locked, watching the flight of the ball.

I am a HUGE Cuse fan and have seen pictures and videos of the block of course, just not from that specific perspective. Not sure why, just never have.

The picture on the front page was of players & coaches embracing and some on the floor in celebration.

Here is a differnt view of the block

ncb_a_lee_in_600.jpg

AP Photo/Bill Haber
Michael Lee thought he had a clear shot to send the title game into overtime. Instead, Hakim Warrick made one of the greatest blocks in NCAA tournament history.
I don't get the PS so I obviously haven't seen all the coverage

theblock_animated.gif

0.jpg

Here is where Hak was ( in the lane) just prior to the block

It's a shame Fab & Dion will never have a memory like that night in April night in 2003.

No matter how many times you see this view, it is still amazing the athleticism required to make that play. Just an awesome basketball play. In the animated picture, look at all the KU fans with their arms up awaiting that 3-pointer to splash! That corner shot has always been the toughest for the zone to defend and Lee was as wide open as any shooter has ever been when he caught that ball.

That play is a perfect example why you have to play DC2 at the five and if you're going to start Rak too he has to play the four

That play is a perfect example why you have to play DC2 at the five and if you're going to start Rak too he has to play the four

In fairness, I am pretty sure Hakim was the 5 on that play.

In fairness, I am pretty sure Hakim was the 5 on that play.

He was... But OE is right nonetheless.

On this specific play, we weren't worried about 2 points which is why McNeal was out of game. And why hakim had the freedom to go for the block.

I get goose bumps just thinking about that play. That block came completely out of nowhere.