Jerami Grant | Syracusefan.com

Jerami Grant

STEVEHOLT

There are FIVE letters in the name BLAIN.
So, we all know he's doing quite well for himself in the league. Starting on a first division team. But here's what blew my mind...seems like he's been in the league quite a while right?

Dude is only TWENTY FOUR.

What?

I still love watching Jerami play. He plays a lot like he did in college. A highlight reel dunk or two every night. Crazy in your face blocked shots. Often ends up on his back on the floor. Outrageous athleticism. One big difference is that he will take and make 3's. Couldn't be happier for him.

Great piece on Jerami from December

Only 17 players in NBA history have compiled at least 380 blocks and 600 3-point attempts in their first six seasons while shooting at least 31 percent from behind the arc. Grant is one of eight active players on a list including LeBron James, Draymond Green, Kevin Durant and Dirk Nowitzki.

I thought Syracuse players can't play defense because of the zone?

Not arguing it either way, but choosing the outlier in terms of NBA success doesn't really make the point. Jerami and Dion are the two NBA success stories recently from SU. The other guys drafted didn't make it for any number of reasons, but at least as far as i can see it's not like any one of them were lock down defenders who were kept around beyond their offensive struggles because of their defense.

Interestingly, and to the OP's point, JG went from like 92nd or something last year in DWS 6th this year behind Giannis, Joe Ingles, Paul George, Emdiid, and Josh Richardson. Pretty good defensive company.

44cuse

If the people who vote are paying attention, Grant should be a strong contender for Most Improved Player.

I thought Syracuse players can't play defense because of the zone?
This is a straw man argument . The critics contention is that It’s hard to judge how an SU player’s defense will translate at the next level ...

This is a straw man argument . The critics contention is that It’s hard to judge how an SU player’s defense will translate at the next level ...

Which I’m not sure I buy. You can judge their athleticism, measureables and defensive awareness just fine. It’s not 1996 where we play zone to hide slow guys.

And it’s not like NBA and college man to man schemes are the same thing.

Wes has been a solid defender too. MCW got a lot of steals...just like he did in college.

It’s way overdone as a talking point and IMO is either a negative recruiting tactic or a copout/built-in excuse depending on if it’s a college guy or an NBA guy saying it.

Not arguing it either way, but choosing the outlier in terms of NBA success doesn't really make the point. Jerami and Dion are the two NBA success stories recently from SU. The other guys drafted didn't make it for any number of reasons, but at least as far as i can see it's not like any one of them were lock down defenders who were kept around beyond their offensive struggles because of their defense.

Interestingly, and to the OP's point, JG went from like 92nd or something last year in DWS 6th this year behind Giannis, Joe Ingles, Paul George, Emdiid, and Josh Richardson. Pretty good defensive company.

44cuse
My sarcastic comment was largely addressing the comments from opposing fanbases about our players' defensive capabilities at the next level. Unfortunately, the face of our program for the past 16+ years is the poster child for offense only / defensively lazy NBA players, and we've had to own that. What most of those mouthbreathers don't realize is that SU plays M2M defense in practice - how do they think we practice offense (yes our offense isn't great), but some people act like our guys are contractually bound to not play M2M while they're matriculated at the University. Our guys play the offseason, summer camps, pickup, workouts, etc all M2M.

Jerami Grant is a top-shelf NBA defender. MCW was a good, at times very good, NBA defender. Dion holds his own to the point he's able to get consistent meaningful minutes for 7+ years so far. Our other guys just weren't great NBA players. Does anybody doubt Gbinije's defensive potential? With 60 guys drafted per year, and only 450 (plus 60 2-way contracts) roster in the league, it's not surprising we have our fair share of 2-3-4 year guys who end up in Italy at age 26.

Kid had great bloodlines. There was little doubt he was going to make it in the NBA.

I still love watching Jerami play. He plays a lot like he did in college. A highlight reel dunk or two every night. Crazy in your face blocked shots. Often ends up on his back on the floor. Outrageous athleticism. One big difference is that he will take and make 3's. Couldn't be happier for him.

Great piece on Jerami from December

Only 17 players in NBA history have compiled at least 380 blocks and 600 3-point attempts in their first six seasons while shooting at least 31 percent from behind the arc. Grant is one of eight active players on a list including LeBron James, Draymond Green, Kevin Durant and Dirk Nowitzki.
Should have stayed in school to get his degree.:confused:

Of the recent bunch he was the only guy who had a higher ceiling if he came back to school. He's the star of the 2014 team. He was fortunate to get picked in 2nd round by a team that would give him a crap ton of playing time. Good on him for expanding on that early opportunity.

My sarcastic comment was largely addressing the comments from opposing fanbases about our players' defensive capabilities at the next level. Unfortunately, the face of our program for the past 16+ years is the poster child for offense only / defensively lazy NBA players, and we've had to own that. What most of those mouthbreathers don't realize is that SU plays M2M defense in practice - how do they think we practice offense (yes our offense isn't great), but some people act like our guys are contractually bound to not play M2M while they're matriculated at the University. Our guys play the offseason, summer camps, pickup, workouts, etc all M2M.

Jerami Grant is a top-shelf NBA defender. MCW was a good, at times very good, NBA defender. Dion holds his own to the point he's able to get consistent meaningful minutes for 7+ years so far. Our other guys just weren't great NBA players. Does anybody doubt Gbinije's defensive potential? With 60 guys drafted per year, and only 450 (plus 60 2-way contracts) roster in the league, it's not surprising we have our fair share of 2-3-4 year guys who end up in Italy at age 26.

Yeah, pretty much agreed. It's kind of a hard thing to evaluate because there are so few guys in the league and even fewer that are getting enough minutes to actually evaluate. The last 4 guys on the roster are in the NBA, but no one would know what their defensive capabilities are. As for Melo...I don't think he's the best defender in the world, but I also tend to think that whole thing took on a degree of a life of its own at the extremes (some defending his defensive abilities and others saying he was terrible).

I'm in the camp that, for whatever reason, SU guys don't make great pros. I don't know if that holds statistics wise, but just doesn't feel to me like SU guys make a big difference on the teams they are drafted to. At the beginning of 2018 I think SU had 7 guys in the league, good enough for a tie for 8th I think (and I think they were 3rd most in the ACC).

44cuse

If the people who vote are paying attention, Grant should be a strong contender for Most Improved Player.

92nd to 6th in DEF WS. I agree with you.

44cuse

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennie87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom