Jim Boeheim on Ivy League eligibility policy and its effect on Jimmy Boeheim | Syracusefan.com

Jim Boeheim on Ivy League eligibility policy and its effect on Jimmy Boeheim

cto

Administrator

Although it's posted in the daily summary, I thought this article deserved its own thread because of various previous discussions.

Last edited:
The Patriot League is another conference that follows the "No Grad Students" Rule. The other conferences have been eating this up, especially in the Olympic Sports. Just about every lacrosse power has, at one time or another, picked up a former Ivy or Patriot League standout to play for a year because they had an injury that forced them to sit out at their previous school. On one hand, I understand why they don't allow redshirting since most schools redshirt their entire freshman football recruiting class, but on the other hand, you get into documented serious injury cases or the weirdness that has been 2020, and you wonder whether it's really worth standing on this principle.

The Patriot League is another conference that follows the "No Grad Students" Rule. The other conferences have been eating this up, especially in the Olympic Sports. Just about every lacrosse power has, at one time or another, picked up a former Ivy or Patriot League standout to play for a year because they had an injury that forced them to sit out at their previous school. On one hand, I understand why they don't allow redshirting since most schools redshirt their entire freshman football recruiting class, but on the other hand, you get into documented serious injury cases or the weirdness that has been 2020, and you wonder whether it's really worth standing on this principle.

You sure about this? I remember at least two acquaintances who got injured and wound up staying on campus for a fifth year of basketball.

Anyway, it's consistent. You go to an Ivy for a great education and all that comes with it. Athletics is secondary. So once your four years are up, it's time to move on, regardless of whatever once-in-a-century calamity has happened in the world.

Wow. I wonder what Jimmy will do.

There's been a lot of discussion about this. There was some sentiment from our fanbase that it might make sense for Jimmy to graduate / grad transfer, and then be a part of his father's second to last season of a HOF coaching career. Quite a sendoff for JB to be able to coach BOTH of his sons at the swan song.

Then last year, it seemed as though JB and Jimmy both kyboshed that idea in a PS article, indicating that Cornell was a great situation for Jimmy, both academically and athletically, and that door seemed shut. Why come here and be a sub when he can start, play a ton, and be a focal point for the Big Red?

But with all of this craziness / disruption from COVID-19, circumstances have changed -- and maybe Jimmy's thought process will, as well.

Who the hell knows.

I think we're set at forward, but there's no doubt in my mind that the younger Jimmy could help our team next year in a reserve capacity, if that's how it works out.

Last edited:
I’m not sure how many minutes Jimmy would get here ... so I’m curious on what would happen

You sure about this? I remember at least two acquaintances who got injured and wound up staying on campus for a fifth year of basketball.

Anyway, it's consistent. You go to an Ivy for a great education and all that comes with it. Athletics is secondary. So once your four years are up, it's time to move on, regardless of whatever once-in-a-century calamity has happened in the world.
Just looked it up. The PL doesn't allow "athletic redshirting" (i.e., just holding someone out for no other reason than letting them hit the weight room). They do allow medical redshirts "during the early season". It could be that Streep's injury happened too late to get a conference redshirt but still could get an NCAA redshirt.

Although it's posted in the daily summary, I thought this article deserved its own thread because of various previous discussions.

it would make sense for him to come to Syracuse to play but to get that Cornell diploma has to be more important to Jimmy no? Could he graduate early and come to Syracuse in January as a graduate?

It makes too much sense for him to play for his father if there is any chance it could happen

While I can understand them having this policy for normal circumstances, I think it’s short sighted when the league cancels during a pandemic ultimately saying it’s not safe for their athletes to play.

it would make sense for him to come to Syracuse to play but to get that Cornell diploma has to be more important to Jimmy no? Could he graduate early and come to Syracuse in January as a graduate?

It makes too much sense for him to play for his father if there is any chance it could happen

As a walk on? JB just gave the 13th scholarship to Billy Owens' son.

Go to school for an education. Get an education. Leave school.

Hot take warning: All of these extensions are nonsense. If a kid has a redshirt year available, let him/her take it. Otherwise, get your degree and move on with your life.

If he doesn't play this year, won't he still have a year of eligibility for next year? Then grad assistant and then......

Go to school for an education. Get an education. Leave school.

Hot take warning: All of these extensions are nonsense. If a kid has a redshirt year available, let him/her take it. Otherwise, get your degree and move on with your life.
Ok boomer!!! I wish I was 20 years old again. I would have backpacked thru Europe or something. Or hung out in Costa Rica. Definitely would have delayed the real world for as long as possible.

Ok boomer!!! I wish I was 20 years old again. I would have backpacked thru Europe or something. Or hung out in Costa Rica. Definitely would have delayed the real world for as long as possible.

Tru dat! wish I had it to do all over again I’d never join the work world. It’s just never measured up to all the hype.

Hypothetically, if Jimmy Burden does not play this year and graduates from Cornell ( Ivy League Degree as his stated desire), he would be eligible to play else where as a graduate transfer. Believe that the Ivy League currently do not allow 5th year qualifiers. So, he could play elsewhere after he graduates from Cornell.

Hypothetically, if Jimmy Burden does not play this year and graduates from Cornell ( Ivy League Degree as his stated desire), he would be eligible to play else where as a graduate transfer. Believe that the Ivy League currently do not allow 5th year qualifiers. So, he could play elsewhere after he graduates from Cornell.

Yea. If anything he gets best of both worlds from no Cornell hoops this winter. Degree and can go anywhere the final year.

Could probably get minutes on a decent team. Maybe Mark Few needs a shooter.