Jim Boeheim on point guards' health: 'We're just going to have to wait and see' | Syracusefan.com

Jim Boeheim on point guards' health: 'We're just going to have to wait and see'

From a team viewpoint, not having a point guard is going to be tough. For Tyus though this could be a short term blessing working on and improving his ball handling skills, passing and his general understanding of the game in preparation for the next level. In the NBA he would have had to improve his guard skills at his size. Improving his versatility in any way is a good thing for his future.

That said, I’m sure hoping that our guards heal up quickly and fully well before the season gets into full gear. They will have a task conditioning to get into game shape.

So, when we look at this from a big picture perspective, we have 16 days until our first big test against UConn. As long as we can have our horses back by then we will be fine. Eastern Washington was 20-15 in the Big Sky last year and loses 6 contributors from that team, while Morehead State was 8-21 last year, we can handle both without the point guards. But for UConn, we need our guys back.

The real issue is the opportunity cost of the injuries. Carey wasn't able to capitalize on Frank's absence to get force fed some practice / scrimmage minutes sans Frank, which might have helped accelerate his readiness.

Frank will have some minor ring rust to shake off when he returns.

Interesting in JB's presser he made it seem like the doctor's cleared Carey to come back but Jalen didn't feel like he was ready. If that was the case and it's just a comfort thing for Carey, I'd assume he'd be back by Tuesday.

I don't know the basketball rule for redshirting so my question is how many games can Washington play in order to redshirt? Is it a 1 game and it's over thing or does he get X amount of games?

I don't know the basketball rule for redshirting so my question is how many games can Washington play in order to redshirt? Is it a 1 game and it's over thing or does he get X amount of games?

I believe it is % based, not X number of games.

It's 30% and none after the halfway point of the year. It's not like football either - has to be a medical reason which I'm sure we can document if HW is not fully recovered from his knee surgery.

Thank you. I suppose if HW needs to he can ask some the schools SU played in football on how to fake an injury during the game to make it look like his knee hasn't quite healed?

We had three point guards at the beginning of practice. At this point we have none.

If one goes down during the season, wouldn't it be nice to have two?

We had three point guards at the beginning of practice. At this point we have none.

If one goes down during the season, wouldn't it be nice to have two?

Carey is close to being ready, yes? Hopefully Frank will be soon as well and that's why I asked about how many games HW can play. We know that Jimmy plays his PG's as many minutes as possible and if Frank and Carey are available if I'm HW I'd redshirt while playing close to that 30% mark (if he is able that is).

How did Battle look at PG?

It's 30% and none after the halfway point of the year. It's not like football either - has to be a medical reason which I'm sure we can document if HW is not fully recovered from his knee surgery.

wouldnt it be difficult to explain if say he played in games 8 through 13 and then we shut him down again?

wouldnt it be difficult to explain if say he played in games 8 through 13 and then we shut him down again?

Not necessarily. Some guys think they are ready but when they hit the court, realize they aren't quite there yet.

We need them back. I have a feeling we will struggle offensively in our first few legit games without that true pg out there (assuming they are held out longer).

Hope we can learn from the experience, if that’s the case.

Does JB's policy of not redshirting players unless they agree with it apply to injuries? Especially one that may be 100% healed with a decent amount of games left in the season. So if HW feels he can play this season, the option is all up to him.

Interesting in JB's presser he made it seem like the doctor's cleared Carey to come back but Jalen didn't feel like he was ready. If that was the case and it's just a comfort thing for Carey, I'd assume he'd be back by Tuesday.
Not sure why, but I had some weird Moyer flashbacks when reading this.

Did we ever get a diagnosis on Frank's injury?
Unfortunately Frank has a potato for a foot. It was a fine potato but it got mashed at some point and had to be replaced by a new raw potato. The boot is slowly warming the new potato foot and within a week or so we should have a solid baked potato foot ready to go.

I think JB was just talking about the fact he is not the decision maker on when a player comes back. His comment didn't have anything to do directly with Carey.

I think JB was just talking about the fact he is not the decision maker on when a player comes back. His comment didn't have anything to do directly with Carey.
That is how I interpreted it too. He was just talking about all the components of players coming back that aren't up to him.