Jim Brown and Steve Belichick | Syracusefan.com

Jim Brown and Steve Belichick

elimunelson

Solvay Fanatic
Nice snippet in today's Globe about the relationship with Brown and the Belichicks.
Outside linebackers coach Steve Belichick was patrolling the sideline as usual Monday night, helping call the defensive signals against the Jets.

This season, Belichick has worn a Jim Brown patch on his sweatshirt, a tribute to his favorite running back as part of the NFL’s campaign to end racism and discrimination. Bill Belichick similarly has worn a patch to honor trailblazer Fritz Pollard.

Steve struck up a friendship with Brown when the Belichicks lived in Cleveland.

“Very honored and proud to wear his patch and represent him,” Steve said last week. “I got to meet Jim back when my dad coached the Browns and he was around the facility a lot, so our relationship goes way back.”

Belichick recalled how Brown was discriminated against in college.

“He had some tough times, struggled back when he was at Syracuse,” said Steve Belichick, who played lacrosse at Rutgers and mentioned how Brown is considered by many the best lacrosse player in history. “He played in the Cotton Bowl [in 1957] and wasn’t allowed to stay in the team hotel because of restrictions during that time. He’s been through a lot and he does a lot of community service work and a lot of great things in his community in California. He’s definitely someone I look up to and admire.”

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom