Jim Brown vs. Lenny Moore, 1954 | Syracusefan.com

Jim Brown vs. Lenny Moore, 1954

SWC75

Bored Historian
Lenny was a junior, (not a senior), at Penn State, Jim a sophomore here. Lenny rushed for 1,074 yards at an amazing 7.9 yards per carry and scored 11TDS. He only caught 4 passes but one was for a touchdown. Jim carried 75 times for 439 yards, (5.9) and four scores. caught 1 pass for 20 yards. SU lost this one 0-13 on their way to a 4-4 record. State went 7-2 that year and were ranked #20 but got no bowl invite, (there were only 6 of them for major college teams at the time).

Full highlights of the 1959 orange Bowl. Our 1958 lost one game by one point, (to Holy Cross, then a respectable major eastern independent), and so did Oklahoma, (to Texas). So both teams were two points away from perfect records. We out-gained the Sooners 311-245 and out first downed them 18-12 but they got all the big plays and won 21-6.

"In the following season, Syracuse went undefeated and won the national title." (My favorite sentence from the article. I wish we had Jim McKay's play-by-play. He's my all-time favorite broadcaster.)

Check the ad at 16:35: Ben wants you to contribute to the funding of the new field house! Ben "gives you all the dope!"

Last edited:
Full highlights of the 1959 orange Bowl. Our 1958 lost one game by one point, (to Holy Cross, then a respectable major eastern independent), and so did Oklahoma, (to Texas). So both teams were two points away from perfect records. We out-gained the Sooners 311-245 and out first downed them 18-12 but they got all the big plays and won 21-6.

"In the following season, Syracuse went undefeated and won the national title." (My favorite sentence from the article. I wish we had Jim McKay's play-by-play. He's my all-time favorite broadcaster.)

Check the ad at 16:35: Ben wants you to contribute to the funding of the new field house! Ben "gives you all the dope!"
Interesting that the original design of the fieldhouse was nothing like the final design of Manley.

Interesting that the original design of the fieldhouse was nothing like the final design of Manley.
SYR was always innovative, proposing an indoor practice facility in the 50s, always ahead of the curve

My grandmother had similar curtains/drapes in her house to the ones behind Ben at the desk.

Last edited:

is there no sound, PBP except for Ben's pitch? I'd love to hear Jim McKay doing this.

They were called Venetian Blinds and were common in the 50's.

"A one way ticket to Palookaville." I'll be determined to work that into a conversation soon!"