Jim Calhoun is officially a coach again... | Syracusefan.com

Jim Calhoun is officially a coach again...

I think it is an interesting and pertinent story. As Cuse fans it would seem that it's in our DNA to ... well, "not like" Jim Calhoun. But... he is a legendary coach and what he did with UCONN... I mean, have you ever been to Storrs? The opponents which we had during the halcyon days of the Big East were formidable and I think it's safe to say that the elements which made College Basketball so incredibly captivating are sadly, now gone. Just as we had our Jimmy B... Uconn had Jim C. ... and they were among the legendary coaches which made up the Big East... which from out of nowhere became the epitome of the sport. Rollie, John Thompson, Louie Carneseca... So seemingly I digress... but these thoughts race through my mind when I read that Jim Calhoun is going back into coaching. It's because like JB... and the others, that's who they are. Lock stock and parcel they lived, breathed, ate, and dreamed College Basketball. Seeing him come back means that those kids at St. Joseph will be able to be coached by a legend... and it stretches out the legacy of those days of the Big East... just a little bit more. All of us who are old enough to have witnessed the rise of the Beast of the East...remember those special times, rivalries, conference championships and the excitement which simply will never be matched again. So Coach... give it hell... and

Thank you for not coming back to Uconn.

the elements which made College Basketball so incredibly captivating are sadly, now gone.
The one-and-done, early entry attrition has had a FAR more damaging impact on the state of college hoops than some of these old-timers retiring. Talented players made these coaches look good.

Good for him/the School, wish them well. Had the opportunity to meet him at a final four. He was great to talk to- still hate UCONN but have s lot of respect for him.

JB and JC were inducted into the Basketball HOF on the same day. I was there. (And we all looked a lot younger in 2005).

10982084_10151079470644958_1178571044_n.jpg

Last edited:
This is all about the love of the game. Good for Calhoun, and good for St. Joseph's, and good for basketball everywhere.

Let it go. Whatever has gone on before, this is not about that. People are complicated, and where someone shows virtue, even someone who has a checkered past, it should be honored. Calhoun has nothing to prove by coaching D III, but how blessed are the athletes who benefit from his coaching now.

I know Jim and Pat Calhoun fairly well. CT is a small state, and Pat and I have done charity work together. JC has always been very supportive of JB ... for example, through the Bernie Fine situation and the NCAA situation. I give him credit for that.

Last edited:
Calhoun returning reminds me of the last scene in Blue Chips. Maybe he simply loves teaching the game he loves.

I know Jim and Pat Calhoun fairly well. CT is a small state, and Pat and I have done charity work together. JC has always been very supportive of JB ... for example, through the Bernie Fine situation and the NCAA situation. I give him credit for that.

I went to Jim Calhoun basketball camp at Northeastern (then turned into Reggie Lewis camp). I always thought BC should have hired him. He would have, at a minimum, made them a tournament team. I know they wanted Hopkins but Calhoun would have been a better hire