Jim Tressel | Syracusefan.com

Jim Tressel

bnoro

Lurker
If you think this is a good idea, please find the nearest bridge and fling yourself off it.

He comes with an automatic show cause and would get our department a thorough investigation as well as possible sanctions. There are so many better options out there and just because tressel coached here doesn't mean it's a good idea. So get it out of your heads now.

Thanks.

If you think this is a good idea, please find the nearest bridge and fling yourself off it.

He comes with an automatic show cause and would get our department a thorough investigation as well as possible sanctions. There are so many better options out there and just because tressel coached here doesn't mean it's a good idea. So get it out of your heads now.

Thanks.
Respectfully disagree.

It doesn't matter what the "Bring in Tressel" posse thinks. It. Will. Never. Happen.

I just picture Tressel with an ankle tracking device and any school that hires him has to give the NCAA cash to get the key to take it off.

We also have a newspaper who has nothing better to do then spend money, and man hours investigating SU athletics. Two and a half years on the basketball team in the 1980's, and then again investigating the team in 2003 and sitting on the information for 8 years. So we don't need someone like Tressel.

I WANT MIKE LOCKSLEY OR TURNER GILL OR SKIP HOLTZ!!! (90% of the forum in 2008)

I wasn't here but my top picks were BC's current coach, Mullin, Kelly and god forbid I'm even writing this...Kiffin. His wife is hot so sue me.

Thanks.

Who do you think it should be of the people SU can actually get? Who is your short list of coaches that we can realisticly get?

thank you for backing that up with a post of substance.
Because your post says anything that wasn't stated in the other post already? Restating that is substance?

The guy has NE ties. He has heavy Ohio ties. Was well respected when he was coaching and is a name that generates immediate interest from recruits.

He's not my first choice, I'd prefer a Kirby Smart, but I don't think Tressel would be all that bad at SU.

Another thing we all need to come to grips with... We are not an SEC school, so we should get used to the fact that coaches will jump after being here for a better opportunity, be it an SEC job or the nFL.

Because your post says anything that wasn't stated in the other post already? Restating that is substance?

The guy has NE ties. He has heavy Ohio ties. Was well respected when he was coaching and is a name that generates immediate interest from recruits.

He's not my first choice, I'd prefer a Kirby Smart, but I don't think Tressel would be all that bad at SU.

Another thing we all need to come to grips with... We are not an SEC school, so we should get used to the fact that coaches will jump after being here for a better opportunity, be it an SEC job or the nFL.
Don't the words 'SHOW CAUSE' mean anything to you?

Don't the words 'SHOW CAUSE' mean anything to you?
Yes. They mean that the program would be under a microscope. How's that any different than EsPN and the post Standard trying to out any wrong? We should run a clean program regardless.

We also have a newspaper who has nothing better to do then spend money, and man hours investigating SU athletics. Two and a half years on the basketball team in the 1980's, and then again investigating the team in 2003 and sitting on the information for 8 years. So we don't need someone like Tressel.

Newspaper is a shell of what it once was, but I do agree with you on tresses

I WANT MIKE LOCKSLEY OR TURNER GILL OR SKIP HOLTZ!!! (90% of the forum in 2008)

Ha I remember that. Hindsight is 20/20.

I just hope we get someone who is the right guy who will keep some continuity.

Who do you think it should be of the people SU can actually get? Who is your short list of coaches that we can realisticly get?
Depends on the situation. People think hiring Shafer may save the class. This is probably true, especially if Hackett stays. Shafer doesn't want to leave Syracuse. Personally if you bring in a respected coach/recruiter that can save the class and potentially elevate it. I'm not sure if Bob Diaco is possible, but it is an option that needs to be checked. I think he's more likely than Kirby Smart, who personally I think would be a very bad choice due to a lack of experience in the Northeast. I think Mario Cristobal is a decent choice at well. Kids like playing for him, knows the NE decently due to Rutgers, knows Florida very well, had success at FIU and was a victim of circumstance (insert Curly face here). A name one of my friends and a board lurker sent me was Teryl Austin. Worked at SU as an assistant, was a DC under Urban Meyer for a year, worked at Pitt for a few years, good recruiter. He's worth a look as well. Currently with the Ravens.

Personally my list would be
1. Shafer
2. Diaco
3. Austin
4. Cristobal

Depends on the situation. People think hiring Shafer may save the class. This is probably true, especially if Hackett stays. Shafer doesn't want to leave Syracuse. Personally if you bring in a respected coach/recruiter that can save the class and potentially elevate it. I'm not sure if Bob Diaco is possible, but it is an option that needs to be checked. I think he's more likely than Kirby Smart, who personally I think would be a very bad choice due to a lack of experience in the Northeast. I think Mario Cristobal is a decent choice at well. Kids like playing for him, knows the NE decently due to Rutgers, knows Florida very well, had success at FIU and was a victim of circumstance (insert Curly face here). A name one of my friends and a board lurker sent me was Teryl Austin. Worked at SU as an assistant, was a DC under Urban Meyer for a year, worked at Pitt for a few years, good recruiter. He's worth a look as well. Currently with the Ravens.

Personally my list would be
1. Shafer
2. Diaco
3. Austin
4. Cristobal

My question concerning Shafer is he a guy that can get the program back over the hump? Or is he going to be hired "just to keep the class" I love what Shafer has done with the D. My concern is that he is only an assistant and hiring someone that couldnt get the job down would put the program back down. I think hiring someone like Shafer is a big risk and don't know if keeping the class together is worth that risk.

I love what I read from Diaco. I think he would be an outstanding hire. What are the rules about interviewing him? Do we have to wait until after the game tomorrow?

Also since you brought up his name Teryl Austin. I just started reading up on him and color me impressed. I like his resume. What kind of recruiter was he while coaching in college? Did he get any big names or have good comments while he coached that year in Florida?

Holy crap, the DO reporter had Tressell on his list.

My god- dude, time to change majors.

so does Rivals. They also have Gruden haha.

Thanks.

So, is the worry that Cuse athletics are dirty and that will be revealed on a further investigation or that Cuse will be placed on sanctions for hiring Tressel?

When was the last time sanctions were put in place for hiring a coach?

There will need to be increased accountability with a compliance offer being in place just for Tressel, but to get a coach of his caliber, usually there needs to be tradeoffs.

Oh, and he is probably the cheapest coach with a national championship to his name that you actually want and have a chance at (meaning Chizik would take the job, but you don't want him)

People forget that Tressel's offenses were boring as heck. No one played it closer to the sweater vest.

People forget that Tressel's offenses were boring as heck. No one played it closer to the sweater vest.
Boring or not, it brought sanctions and a show cause.

Thanks.

Tell us what you really think. Through investigation, you mean beyond the ongoing one?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom