Jimbo and Winston | Syracusefan.com

Jimbo and Winston

upperdeck

Living Legend
had FSU lost that game would they both be taking a ton of heat or do they get a pass for how they did the first half because of how the last few minutes worked out? I thought the play calling by FSU was awful all game and it really seemed like the year was a function of how dominate FSU is athletically and now how well coached they are.

Winston for a 3/4 of the game looked like Hunt. bad decisions, horrible throws a few scramble plays. Funny how bad a QB can look with little time and WRs not wide open. I think Johnny football would have not let that team get behind by 21-3.

As someone said the 30 day layoff really let Auburn get a shot in that game and scheme up a ton of issues, where FSU looked like they just relied on doing the same old stuff that suddenly did not work.

Still Auburn had a huge field position game. got 2 scores off 25 yd drives, got FSU to play its worst game of the year, got FSU to finally have to sub out on D, had almost everything go right and still lost.

FSU wins that game 7-8 out of 10.

upperdeck said:
had FSU lost that game would they both be taking a ton of heat or do they get a pass for how they did the first half because of how the last few minutes worked out? I thought the play calling by FSU was awful all game and it really seemed like the year was a function of how dominate FSU is athletically and now how well coached they are. Winston for a 3/4 of the game looked like Hunt. bad decisions, horrible throws a few scramble plays. Funny how bad a QB can look with little time and WRs not wide open. I think Johnny football would have not let that team get behind by 21-3. As someone said the 30 day layoff really let Auburn get a shot in that game and scheme up a ton of issues, where FSU looked like they just relied on doing the same old stuff that suddenly did not work. Still Auburn had a huge field position game. got 2 scores off 25 yd drives, got FSU to play its worst game of the year, got FSU to finally have to sub out on D, had almost everything go right and still lost. FSU wins that game 7-8 out of 10.

Funny, I was thinking Winston looked like Hunt too. Leading his team down the field in the final two minutes to win the game...

had FSU lost that game would they both be taking a ton of heat or do they get a pass for how they did the first half because of how the last few minutes worked out? I thought the play calling by FSU was awful all game and it really seemed like the year was a function of how dominate FSU is athletically and now how well coached they are.

Winston for a 3/4 of the game looked like Hunt. bad decisions, horrible throws a few scramble plays. Funny how bad a QB can look with little time and WRs not wide open. I think Johnny football would have not let that team get behind by 21-3.

As someone said the 30 day layoff really let Auburn get a shot in that game and scheme up a ton of issues, where FSU looked like they just relied on doing the same old stuff that suddenly did not work.

Still Auburn had a huge field position game. got 2 scores off 25 yd drives, got FSU to play its worst game of the year, got FSU to finally have to sub out on D, had almost everything go right and still lost.

I don't know if it was bad play calling so much as Auburn was better than what they anticipated. They tried doing what had worked all season because of their superior athleticism and it didn't work. They made good adjustments at halftime and played better. They didn't look dominant like they had all year, but when you play someone that is closer to your athleticism than anyone else you've played all year, that's going to happen.

I think Malzahn is a heckuva coach. Even when FSU stopped their offense, they didn't look comfortable doing it.

I think Auburn's scheme ended up being the worst match-up FSU could've ended up with, but once they settled down they were the better team.

For the record, I thought FSU would shut down their run game and with by 2 td's. I was way wrong.

HfH2014

Hunt for Heisman.

Auburn clearly had the better game plan. Not even close. And they kept FSU on their heels the entire game. All the proof you need is that footage of FSU's D-Lineman sucking wind on the sideline...at crunch time of the 4th! He was gassed!

The Auburn staff deserves a heck of a lot of credit. At the same, FSU made some simple adjustments to get Winston back in the game. Those short, quick passing routes built confidence and kept the chains moving. FSU was in survival mode pretty much all game. Auburn didn't hit that point until the 4th, and by then FSU's D was gassed. Marshall's one blunder (the INT) probably cost Auburn a blowout win. They had the momentum and the stamina at that point of the game.

But FSU never gave up. They made the plays when they had to, and that's what great teams do. They had just enough time left at the end to exert their will and stop Auburn's Magic Carpet Ride. I honestly thought that some higher power was willing Auburn to this championship, especially when obvious facemask and horse collar calls were missed. All was set right, though, with the pass interference call at the end. It may not have mattered either way, but it gave FSU some breathing room.

Just a great game...well...4th quarter anyway.

You make an excellent comparison of Hunt to whats his name. The one thing we didn't have at our disposal were great receivers on crossing routes underneath to exploit the weak spots. Hunt had the same challenge - to get the ball out quickly. Better receivers will mean better play calling which will mean a better Hunt.

You make an excellent comparison of Hunt to whats his name. The one thing we didn't have at our disposal were great receivers on crossing routes underneath to exploit the weak spots. Hunt had the same challenge - to get the ball out quickly. Better receivers will mean better play calling which will mean a better Hunt.

Here here!

Yep- give Hunt a WR like Benjamin and I would imagine we'd see a nice improvement in his productivity. The big play on the final drive was a 6-7 yard slant that the receiver broke.

FSU had an awful gameplan. It was almost like they showed up to start Winston's 2014 Heisman campaign instead of running the ball and using short, quick throws to move the ball. Credit to Auburn- they had FSU on their heels on both sides of the ball.

FSU really had to adjust their play-calling because of the way their offensive line was getting absolutely abused. The right tackle literally could not stop the DE from getting into the backfield almost immediately on every play, including on the final TD drive.

Is it scary to think that FSU now has motivation to get better after the way they could've lost that game? Before, they had gotten to where they were just on cruise control. Now they can look at film and actually see some weaknesses. Crap, they'll be even better next year.

I think it's funny how you say Johnny Football wouldn't have allowed that team to fall behind 21-3. What was the Duke lead at halftime of the Chick-Fil-A Bowl?

dollarbill44 said:
I think it's funny how you say Johnny Football wouldn't have allowed that team to fall behind 21-3. What was the Duke lead at halftime of the Chick-Fil-A Bowl?
And I had forgotten that Johnny d bag played defense. ;)