JJ's shooting progression | Syracusefan.com

JJ's shooting progression

Eric15

Living Legend
Starling's three-point shooting. It's like a switch was flipped in his head.

First 9 games of the season: 3/24 12.5%
Next 9 games of the season: 16/36 44.4%

I'm trying to think of other times in SU basketball history when a player couldn't shoot, and then suddenly they could within one season. I vaguely remember James Thues in 2002 suddenly becoming a solid three-point shooter midseason. And then other players became more effective from deep as their career progressed: Duany, Allen Griffin, Kris Joseph come to mind.

Justin Taylor: if you're reading this, you're up next. We know you can do it.

I'm trying to think of other times in SU basketball history when a player couldn't shoot, and then suddenly they could within one season. I vaguely remember James Thues in 2002 suddenly becoming a solid three-point shooter midseason. And then other players became more effective from deep as their career progressed: Duany, Allen Griffin, Kris Joseph come to mind.

Whatever was wrong with his shot, they may have fixed. His form looks much better and the ball is going in. Feel a lot better about him next season if he can shoot.

Shot still looks like the ball is going to slip out of his grip as it’s going up. Still not quite where it was pre-injury… hopefully that hitch can still be addressed off-season.

he's at a new school with a new role. of course it takes some time to dial in. hope he's getting comfortable.

The numbers on his improvement speak for themselves, but the shot still looks herky-jerky and not very fluid to me.
They mentioned during the broadcast that his shoulder injury really hampered his shooting- had to relearn his shooting form, etc.

Without looking up the numbers to confirm, I recall Buddy Boeheim struggled mightily with his shot as a freshman, then improbably figured things out in ACC play that season.

Last edited:
The numbers on his improvement speak for themselves, but the shot still looks herky-jerky and not very fluid to me.
Exactly, looks the same but they're dropping now. Maybe he's adjusted or got comfortable with his new post injury shot?

Without looking up the numbers to confirm, I recall Buddy Boeheim struggled mightily with his shot as a freshman, then improbably figured things out in ACC play that season.
So I looked it up.

Freshman Buddy shot 47-133 (.353) from deep overall.

In ACC play (18 regular season games, plus 2 ACCT games), he was 39-93 (.419).

In non-league games and the NCAAT loss to Baylor, he was 8-40 (.200).

Our three point shooting is better because we’re getting rhythm shots. If the ball moves and gets to open shooters when they‘re open, we have guys who can make them. Red has been preaching this all year. I think we had over 20 assists today. That says a lot.

Last edited:
In addition to plainly needing Starling to be "hisself" a/k/a a 5-star, his progression is important because it takes the pressure off Red to have Taylor and Bell both on the floor to stretch the defense. If JJ continues to shoot 3s well, that bodes well for more Copeland minutes over JT or Bell.

When JJ is on with his mid-range game and strong shooting, he reminds me a bit of a poor man’s DeMar DeRozan. (Like poverty poor.)

I’m excited as I think he’s going to keep getting better and better.

When JJ is on with his mid-range game and strong shooting, he reminds me a bit of a poor man’s DeMar DeRozan. (Like poverty poor.)

I’m excited as I think he’s going to keep getting better and better.

I like this comp a lot. Hope he can keep extending his range as he re-learns his form and gains confidence.

But the DD comp is good in the context you have it. Totally agree.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom