Class of 2019 - CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Simple, really. As you said, the game is dominated by shooters now. The most important part of the zone when it comes to defense is having guards that can close out 3 point shooters and have the athleticism to rotate quickly at the top. Gerry would be an enormous weak link for our defense if he was on this iteration of the team.
I'm more worried about our scoring than the other team. Shooters have been MIA (minus White last year). TAKE A SHOT ATY THIS KID. HE CAN SCORE...oops sorry cap locks.....but maybe leave the caps lock. We need offense badly.

Agree with you guys theres no reason not to offer the kid especially since our offense blows and shooting is his strength. He should of offered him immediately and not of let him get away.

I do agree that we don't put enough emphasis on recruiting shooters, but I also think some of the stats here are somewhat skewed by our offensive system, which is so isolation dependent that a lot of the three point shots that we end up getting are late shot clock contested threes. So we've had a bunch of guys who I think are a bit better shooters than their numbers might suggest. Many of the years you cite, we only had one or two legitimate three point shooting threats, and it is easier for an opposing defense to key in on a single shooter than it is to respond to a team full of shooters. For instance, how many crazy off balanced fading threes did Cooney shoot in his career, many of which came on designed plays (baseline double screen then run out to the arc to receive the ball, arrest his momentum, and pivot into the shot)? SR Rautins could hit that shot, but he had a better team around him to set up the screens and deliver the ball to him in rhythm.

So yeah, we need more shooters, clearly, but I also think we suffer statistically from the offensive scheme.
I think by "offensive scheme", you mean the lack of inside balance to keep defenses honest. If you have to bring a guard back to double a big, it becomes a lot harder for that guard to close out to a 3 point shooter. We've played at least 2 teams with shooters and a big (Buffalo, Kansas come to mind). They're pretty tough to defend, nearly impossible if the inside big can score.

Hows the competition?

Somewhat north of this depending on who you talk to.

IMG_2991.jpg

I'll say this again, I really hope the staff offers Girard. Not saying this kid will be as good as Jimmer, but go watch some BYU highlights of Jimmer. As soon as he hits 1 or 2 from deep, the defenses starts jumping over screens, double teaming him, leaving teammates wide open for a three or drive. We complain about lack of offense, yet not everybody seems to want Girard because he isn't 6'7. He doesn't need to play 38 mpg on this team, he could be a 15-20 mpg rotational guy who, by senior year, could be a better G-Mac, with better players on his team, and not forced to create offense. The question is, does JB go all in on Buddy filling that role? Why not hedge bets and have another potential shooter? Worst case he's Ron Patterson, but best case he plays 4 years for SU and is a legit 3rd or 4th scoring option. by junior year. I think he's much closer to the latter on the spectrum.

I'll say this again, I really hope the staff offers Girard. Not saying this kid will be as good as Jimmer, but go watch some BYU highlights of Jimmer. As soon as he hits 1 or 2 from deep, the defenses starts jumping over screens, double teaming him, leaving teammates wide open for a three or drive. We complain about lack of offense, yet not everybody seems to want Girard because he isn't 6'7. He doesn't need to play 38 mpg on this team, he could be a 15-20 mpg rotational guy who, by senior year, could be a better G-Mac, with better players on his team, and not forced to create offense. The question is, does JB go all in on Buddy filling that role? Why not hedge bets and have another potential shooter? Worst case he's Ron Patterson, but best case he plays 4 years for SU and is a legit 3rd or 4th scoring option. by junior year. I think he's much closer to the latter on the spectrum.

I'll interject that the coaching staff doesn't recruit based upon hypotheticals. Jimmer has zero to do with Girard, nor should he.

We let Jimmer get away and Huerter Well kevin because of lack of scholarships. He would of been the key missing piece we needed this year.Cant let another upstate shooter get away. Especially in a position of dire need.

Who did we take in lieu of Heurter? Gillon? I hope the staff doesn't make a mistake here in their evaluations, especially at the all important guard and shooter positions. Guard evaluation has been a bit suspect, see Ron Patterson and Kaleb Joseph...many say Washington isn't a P5 caliber player here either.

Last edited:
Who did we take in lieu of Heurter? Gillon? I hope the staff doesn't make a mistake here in their evaluations, especially at the all important guard and shooter positions. Guard evaluation has been a bit suspect, see Ron Patterson and Kaleb Joseph...many say Washington isn't a P5 caliber player here either.
At the time, we were recruiting, there were no scholarships available. The one we had was earmarked for Battle. Huerter was offered a preferred walk-on position with the idea that if a scholarship opened, he could get it. However, he chose to go to Maryland and then the dam opened and we had scholarships available because Johnson and Buss transferred.

Hows the competition?

Not good, particularly this year it seems. A few years back, Scotia ran out some pretty good teams (I think both during and after Joe Cremo, who is a baller).

For some perspective on the scoring piece, Section II's all-time leader was a kid under 6'0" tall, who is currently average like 7 pts per game at Utica College. The kid he just passed was a nice player, but he was a bench warmer at UMBC, transferred to Bard, and is now at a D-II school. Both of these kids played for tiny High Schools.

From a personal standpoint, I was like the 10th man for a Suburban Council winning team (we played 8 kids, you get the point). During summer league, before the City Rocks really took off, we would play the local B, C, D "schools' teams" including Glens Falls, and there is not a one that I wouldnt have started at, played significantly, and averaged double figures for.

Now dont get me wrong, Girard would have absolutely lit me up, but that's an indicator of how weak his comp is. My suspicion is he needs a good AAU circuit this summer and/or some camp hype (like Huerter) and/or a transfer (like Platek) to get offers better offers.

I can't remember whether Lydon was offered out of Pine Plains, or whether he transferred to New Hampton first?

At the time, we were recruiting, there were no scholarships available. The one we had was earmarked for Battle. Huerter was offered a preferred walk-on position with the idea that if a scholarship opened, he could get it. However, he chose to go to Maryland and then the dam opened and we had scholarships available because Johnson and Buss transferred.

Kevin Huerter, who could have been Orange, drops 23 for Maryland in homecoming

Syracuse recruited Huerter while dealing with scholarship restrictions due to its most recent NCAA investigation. The Orange hoped Huerter would attend prep school and arrive as a freshman this season. Huerter's game blew up enough to make him a valuable commodity in 2016.

Syracuse didn't have a scholarship until Malachi Richardson left early for the NBA Draft, and by then Huerter had already made up his mind, choosing the Terrapins. The Orange brought in graduate transfer Andrew White instead.

"We didn't have scholarships," Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim said. "Everyone thinks the NCAA doesn't hurt you too much. Oh yeah, it hurts you. It crushes you. We knew he was a great player, great shooter, perfect wing player for us. He's a tremendous player and tremendous shooter."

That's the just, but not quite what I recall. I though we wanted him to prep and reclassify due to the scholly crunch. I believe his older brother prepped in Connecticut.

Not good, particularly this year it seems. A few years back, Scotia ran out some pretty good teams (I think both during and after Joe Cremo, who is a baller).

For some perspective on the scoring piece, Section II's all-time leader was a kid under 6'0" tall, who is currently average like 7 pts per game at Utica College. The kid he just passed was a nice player, but he was a bench warmer at UMBC, transferred to Bard, and is now at a D-II school. Both of these kids played for tiny High Schools.

From a personal standpoint, I was like the 10th man for a Suburban Council winning team (we played 8 kids, you get the point). During summer league, before the City Rocks really took off, we would play the local B, C, D "schools' teams" including Glens Falls, and there is not a one that I wouldnt have started at, played significantly, and averaged double figures for.

Now dont get me wrong, Girard would have absolutely lit me up, but that's an indicator of how weak his comp is. My suspicion is he needs a good AAU circuit this summer and/or some camp hype (like Huerter) and/or a transfer (like Platek) to get offers better offers.

I can't remember whether Lydon was offered out of Pine Plains, or whether he transferred to New Hampton first?

Last year on the AAU circuit, he averaged 10 points/game shooting 45% from 3, including shooting 50% from 3 at the prestigious Peach Jam tournament. He did that while averaging less than 20 minutes/game. The talent is there and he's shown he can compete at the highest levels - IMO, of course.

The City Rocks (@TheCityRocks) - 2017 NIKE EYBL - Roster - #11 - Joseph Girard III - G

Funny, one of my good friends from college was a big player for Scotia years back a little before Lydon committed.

Hope this kid isnt a Cavanaugh like miss.

Last year on the AAU circuit, he averaged 10 points/game shooting 45% from 3, including shooting 50% from 3 at the prestigious Peach Jam tournament. He did that while averaging less than 20 minutes/game. The talent is there and he's shown he can compete at the highest levels - IMO, of course.

The City Rocks (@TheCityRocks) - 2017 NIKE EYBL - Roster - #11 - Joseph Girard III - G

Thanks for the link. I looked at one of their games to see what I could see.

upload_2018-1-11_13-20-18.png

The Johnson kids on Boo Williams are heading to Kentucky (33 points) and Florida (10 points). And he had a slightly better night shooting than the kid on his squad heading to the Cuse... Just sayin'.

I'm confused - he's played AAU correct? Held his own? The all-time leading scorer thing in Sect II is a bit misleading because as you mentioned those kids played either Class D or at best Class C, and probably (like Girardi) played 4 or 5 years of varsity. He may not have played at Shen but Giardi's league is definitely a higher level than any D or C school. Many NYSPHSAA big school hot shots have not excelled at the next level (anyone remember Greg Koubek? Paulus, Josh Wright), so I'm not sure level of play matters when your talking about 20 games. Huerter is definitely better, Cremo maybe too, and Jimmer IMHO was definitely better, but I think what Girardi is doing will result in him getting offers that compare to SU.

I'm confused - he's played AAU correct? Held his own? The all-time leading scorer thing in Sect II is a bit misleading because as you mentioned those kids played either Class D or at best Class C, and probably (like Girardi) played 4 or 5 years of varsity. He may not have played at Shen but Giardi's league is definitely a higher level than any D or C school. Many NYSPHSAA big school hot shots have not excelled at the next level (anyone remember Greg Koubek? Paulus, Josh Wright), so I'm not sure level of play matters when your talking about 20 games. Huerter is definitely better, Cremo maybe too, and Jimmer IMHO was definitely better, but I think what Girardi is doing will result in him getting offers that compare to SU.
I think I made this argument at least 12 pages ago: Yes, he is in a league with A and B schools but he is still putting up 48.5 a night. What defenses are these coaches playing to stop him. Not one coach has held him below 42 pts this year. People can talk about his level of competition but why would anyone question whether he deserves the 13th schollie or not.

I think I made this argument at least 12 pages ago: Yes, he is in a league with A and B schools but he is still putting up 48.5 a night. What defenses are these coaches playing to stop him. Not one coach has held him below 42 pts this year. People can talk about his level of competition but why would anyone question whether he deserves the 13th schollie or not.
I haven't read too any people on here that don't think he's worth the 13th scholarship, kid can flat our shoot the ball and you don't tell those kids to go away. I've asked this before...and JB has said he thinks he's a capable SU player, but doesn't know the workings of our roster yet, but does he want to be the 13th scholarship and be buried on anyone's bench? Or would he rather go somewhere where he'll get more playing time. We can't just assume every local kid is just biting at the bit to play for SU. We still need a PG to get him the ball in places to get these shots off, or it won't matter how good of a shooter he is!

Good news is JB has seen Girard play a lot. Have to trust that it's not the right time or the right guy if we aren't offering.

Tho JB also saw Tyler Cavanaugh play a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom