John Mackey | Syracusefan.com

John Mackey

John Mackey graduated a year behind Ernie Davis. His last season at Syracuse was 1962, a rebuilding year after Davis and several others from Ben Schwartzwalder's most successful era had graduated. During his early years at Syracuse, Mackey played Right End. (Syracuse ran an unbalanced Tight T formation in those days with both ends close to the tackles.) In Mackey's senior year Schwartzwalder moved him to the Left Halfback position vacated by Davis. Mackey was the centerpiece of the offense. In a story that may be apocryphal, a reporter that year asked Schwartzwalder why Mackey wore jersey number "88" while Jim Brown and Davis had worn number "44." Schwartzwalder replied that he hoped Mackey would be twice as good.

Mackey's efforts to start and build the players' association provided great benefit to all NFL players both during and after his tenure. Several sports historians have suggested that his efforts caused a delay of a few years in his being elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Mackey was quite an Orange football star both on and off the field.

I think I remember that his wife did a lot to push the NFL for improved health coverage for former players as his alzheimer's progressed.

His wife, Sylvia is amazing. A beautiful woman he met while a student at SU who fully supported him including financially during his sad battle with CTE. She was working as a flight attendant in her 60’s so he could afford medical treatment and nursing care while also advocating for all retired NFL athletes for health coverage.

His wife, Sylvia is amazing. A beautiful woman he met while a student at SU who fully supported him including financially during his sad battle with CTE. She was working as a flight attendant in her 60’s so he could afford medical treatment and nursing care while also advocating for all retired NFL athletes for health coverage.
I was lucky enough to meet her once or twice. Great person who handled a really difficult situation with extraordinary grace. I have so much respect and admiration for her.