John Raymon article | Syracusefan.com

John Raymon article

MSOrange

2020 Cali Award Winner, Regular Season Record
I know some of you don't read syracuse.com anymore but if you read any article, read this one about John Raymon. My goodness - what a story. I can't even imagine growing up in such an environment. I truly hope John is successful and gets his degree and is able to be successful in life. Quite frankly, he already is by making it this far.

God bless people like the Finneys.

http://www.syracuse.com/orangefootball/index.ssf/2013/07/john_raymons_long_road_to_syra.html

Those were my thoughts as well. You wonder where kids like Raymon would be without people like the Finneys.

BTW, Raymon looks like a beast in the photo. Any reports from practices or the spring game?

I know some of you don't read syracuse.com anymore but if you read any article, read this one about John Raymon. My goodness - what a story. I can't even imagine growing up in such an environment. I truly hope John is successful and gets his degree and is able to be successful in life. Quite frankly, he already is by making it this far.

http://www.syracuse.com/orangefootball/index.ssf/2013/07/john_raymons_long_road_to_syra.html

Great read - such a story. I'll be rooting for him for sure.

And if I'm an opposing offensive linemen? I'm honestly a little scared. Dude is big and can channel aggression? Wow.

MSO, Thanks for letting us know of this story. Just too make it this far in life, John is truly special. It takes incredible persistence to overcome a past like that. I don't care how far he makes it on the field, but I think I have found a favorite player to follow.

Sounds like he has a long way to go. I sincerely hope SU provides all of the academic support he obviously needs.

The story makes it real hard to understand the NCAA and their review of Raymon's situation.
If we were in the SEC I'm sure they would have granted the wavier...or processed it in a timely manner at the very least.

I think it's good to get the year off, to get adjusted and academics...funny how marrone being the friendliest coach in amarica got him the recruit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Breaks my heart to know there are thousands of kids across the country that go through stuff like this in varying degrees. Also, gotta wonder how many don't make it for every one that does. 100? 1,000?

Honestly though, there isn't another coaching staff in the country that is better at building a family atmosphere and treating these gus as their own. The fact that Daoust can relate to him on different levels I'm sure helps quite a bit as well.

The story makes it real hard to understand the NCAA and their review of Raymon's situation.
You open the door to this (with out documentation) and than where does it end. What happens to the game. I feel like you, but where would the line be drawn and where would it end. Hope he has great success in all his endeavors. Maybe the year off and coach Douast help him a lot.

One of the best articles I've read on syracuse.com in quite a while. Really, really touching. Almost like the movie Blind Side, but John's situation was worse. I hope he has a great career at SU and can make it to the NFL like Michael Oher did.

It does but at the same time we get him for an extra year of eligiblity at the back end of his college career which makes me happy. A year off to get settled in a new school, and getting used to life with a child could turn out to be a blessing in disguise. Hope he get's his degree, and then cashes some NFL checks so he can take care of his child in a proper way that he never was.

This story breaks my heart as some of you know from my posting I left the business world early to administer a food pantry at my church (with my wifes blessing) and I witness all sorts of issues but mostly really good and dedicated parents (taking advantage of our ESL program so they can work with their kids reading etc.). Anyway John's story just breaks my heart because he was literally thrown to the wolves until the Finney's stepped in and God bless them for their love and compassion. I for one have a new favorite player to root for, not just while he wears orange and blue but for the rest of his life. Go Big John! Go SU!

Interesting that his Mom died of brain cancer. I wonder if that had anything to do with the abuse she gave. I'm sure he'll never know but something that caught my eye.

It does but at the same time we get him for an extra year of eligiblity at the back end of his college career which makes me happy.
I doubt there's an extra year. I suspect he went from four years to play four, to three years to play three. His clock should've started when he enrolled at Iowa. That year plus last year's sit-out year only leaves 3 years.

This explains why Coach Marrone was so pissed off when he was asked about the Raymon waiver on a weekly basis at a luncheons last year. He could not disclose the reason for the waiver but was in disbelief week after week when it was not approved. He was not happy to say the least when it was denied. The NCAA should be ashamed of themselves for taking a year of football away from a young man that has overcome such adversity in life.

I doubt there's an extra year. I suspect he went from four years to play four, to three years to play three. His clock should've started when he enrolled at Iowa. That year plus last year's sit-out year only leaves 3 years.

Ahhh I thought we only had him for 3 years regardless. He was injured at Iowa so I wonder if he could potentially get a 6th year medical redshirt if need be in addition to last years NCAA mandated redshirt?

Interesting that his Mom died of brain cancer. I wonder if that had anything to do with the abuse she gave. I'm sure he'll never know but something that caught my eye.

I think in this case God works in mysterious ways.

Ahhh I thought we only had him for 3 years regardless. He was injured at Iowa so I wonder if he could potentially get a 6th year medical redshirt if need be in addition to last years NCAA mandated redshirt?
He didn't have a year-ending injury so I don't see how he'd get another year.

He left Iowa because he didn't get along with his position coach, in addition to the distance from home.
Hopefully everything will work out better for him in Syracuse.

He didn't have a year-ending injury so I don't see how he'd get another year.

He left Iowa because he didn't get along with his position coach, in addition to the distance from home.
Hopefully everything will work out better for him in Syracuse.

Didn't realize the specifics. For whatever reason I was thinking that he logged game time at Iowa in his season there.