John Wayne, Jimmy Stewart and John Ford and the Black Sox | Syracusefan.com

John Wayne, Jimmy Stewart and John Ford and the Black Sox

SWC75

Bored Historian
I'm watching the grand old series from youth, "Wagon Train", starring Ward Bond. one of the episodes, "The Colter Craven Story" was directed by John Ford and had a cameo by John Wayne, (using the name "Michael Morris", which is not quite a pseudonym because John's real name was "Marion Morrison". I'd always thought that this was the only time John Ford directed an episode of a TV series and John Wayne appeared in one, (save for his famous introduction to "Gunsmoke" in 1955) but not quite. I read on the IMDB that he'd appeared in two other shows.

One is a 1955 30 minute show called "Rookie of the Year that's been colorized. John Wayne plays a cynical reporter who has found that the father of a Mickey Mantle-like young star, (played by John's son Patrick), is the son of one of the Black Sox, (played by Ward Bond)> Does he make a name for himself by reporting the story or spare the family? It's pretty good.

The other one Is a 1962 episode of Fred Astaire's Alcoa show, in which Patrick Wayne gets to know another Back Sox member played by Jimmy Stewart, which gets Patrick into trouble when he makes the big leagues. This is an hour, (50 minute) show. Wayne has a small role in this one but Vin Scully and Don Drysdale appear. Jimmy hits a home run off of Don in a semi-pro game.

I'm watching the grand old series from youth, "Wagon Train", starring Ward Bond. one of the episodes, "The Colter Craven Story" was directed by John Ford and had a cameo by John Wayne, (using the name "Michael Morris", which is not quite a pseudonym because John's real name was "Marion Morrison". I'd always thought that this was the only time John Ford directed an episode of a TV series and John Wayne appeared in one, (save for his famous introduction to "Gunsmoke" in 1955) but not quite. I read on the IMDB that he'd appeared in two other shows.

One is a 1955 30 minute show called "Rookie of the Year that's been colorized. John Wayne plays a cynical reporter who has found that the father of a Mickey Mantle-like young star, (played by John's son Patrick), is the son of one of the Black Sox, (played by Ward Bond)> Does he make a name for himself by reporting the story or spare the family? It's pretty good.

Trivia: The cinematographer, Hal Mohr, had a daughter, Rosalie who married my Uncle Warren. Now your day is complete.

Drop dead is 3 words ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom