John Wildhack | Syracusefan.com

John Wildhack

mlbball99

2nd String
I had high hopes from when Wildhack came in here, but recently I've been starting to think about what he has accomplished at SU. I may need some help here to help fill me in -- but frankly -- what he has done to help bolster our programs? As much as Daryl Gross wasn't loved by everyone -- he did push for the Melo Center to go up, I believe the Football facility to go up (and renovate Manley) and really branded our programs.

Keep in mind Coyle brought in Dino, not Wildhack.

Wildhack lost Hopkins to Washington (not his fault, but under his leadership).

Lacrosse has completely fallen off as of late.

I know the Dome is the big ticket item -- but that was happening with or without him.

I keep coming back to what has he done? As crazy as this sounds -- but the Melo Center is starting to become a bit outdated and losing its "wow" factor. Football still needs more upgrades.

Please chime in what else -- but nothing has really been sticking out for me.

From the jump he's been a breath of fresh air IMO. He runs a clean ship . . . and has made staff changes to keep NCAA compliance on track. He is more accessible and a better listener than I've seen with past AD's. He's connected with cross-state alumni bases (Rochester, Binghamton, etc) and was able to get the Dome renovations focused and implemented. The latter accomplishment was particularly impressive ... as it required navigating numerous financial complexities, stakeholder issues, scheduling disruptions, ADA and other obstacles. His media expertise has been invaluable, helping SU take the lead in positioning and preparing (e.g., facilities upgrades at Newhouse) for the ACC NW. In terms of LAX, I don't think there has been a need for AD intervention .. as parity has driven most of the recruiting problems (and we're making a comeback recently). With FB/BB, some fundraising highlights but no sea changes. There have been steady improvements with things the AD controls: ticketing, marketing, food options, the fan experience and Dome operations. Naming rights and parking issues persist, and many initiatives have bogged down because of construction and institutional inertia. But I have high hopes for the future.

Last edited:
Dome reno is pretty big once the roof is finished that will be an accomplishment.

But yes basketball is worse than lacrosse at the moment. He’s never hired a coach before. Plenty of reasons for concern.

Louisville AD is similar to Wildhack and not an experienced AD poached from a peer school and he’s nailed it for them so that gives me optimism.

The dome reno is something that probably takes a sizeable chunk of attention. I don't agree with the way they went about it, but I'm not in charge of anything and whatever they did was going to be a monstrous undertaking.

I wasn’t super excited with the hire when it happened.
I do think people personally liking him has helped perception of how he has done as AD.

I don’t think I would give him an A for performance as AD but I wouldn’t give him a failing grade either.
Probably on a 1 to 10 scale I would give Wildhack a 7.5 out of 10.

He helps the ACC with its relationship on the TV committee and with stuff for the ACCN.
I don’t think the renovation for the Dome was planned well. Either we had problems getting more donations/funding or we couldn’t get more financial support. I think he has done a good job with alumni relations.
I don’t think he has handled basketball as well as football. The support he has authorized for Dino has been outstanding.
Basketball I think he stays out of JB’s way. Who knows maybe not but it doesn’t look it.

The Dome renovation was needed but that had been rumored as far back as 2014.
There is room for growth and the good news is he isn’t likely looking for another job so we got a guy for a while.

I wasn’t super excited with the hire when it happened.
I do think people personally liking him has helped perception of how he has done as AD.

I don’t think I would give him an A for performance as AD but I wouldn’t give him a failing grade either.
Probably on a 1 to 10 scale I would give Wildhack a 7.5 out of 10.

He helps the ACC with its relationship on the TV committee and with stuff for the ACCN.
I don’t think the renovation for the Dome was planned well. Either we had problems getting more donations/funding or we couldn’t get more financial support. I think he has done a good job with alumni relations.
I don’t think he has handled basketball as well as football. The support he has authorized for Dino has been outstanding.
Basketball I think he stays out of JB’s way. Who knows maybe not but it doesn’t look it.

The Dome renovation was needed but that had been rumored as far back as 2014.
There is room for growth and the good news is he isn’t likely looking for another job so we got a guy for a while.

I guess I give him more credit for the Dome renovation because as you say, it's been rumored as far back as 2014. We have action with him.

Lacrosse has not "completely fallen off as of late." Championship weekend drought is frustrating but we have still put together top teams and the future (especially this upcoming season) is nowhere near as bleak as basketball.

I had high hopes from when Wildhack came in here, but recently I've been starting to think about what he has accomplished at SU. I may need some help here to help fill me in -- but frankly -- what he has done to help bolster our programs? As much as Daryl Gross wasn't loved by everyone -- he did push for the Melo Center to go up, I believe the Football facility to go up (and renovate Manley) and really branded our programs.

I know the Dome is the big ticket item -- but that was happening with or without him.

I keep coming back to what has he done? As crazy as this sounds -- but the Melo Center is starting to become a bit outdated and losing its "wow" factor. Football still needs more upgrades.

The insanity must transmit through the keyboard for some that post here.

Yeah, JW is a problem.

Good lord.

I guess I give him more credit for the Dome renovation because as you say, it's been rumored as far back as 2014. We have action with him.
It had to happen. The roof had to replaced. It was done in 2004 or 2005 while I was there.
I don’t give him credit for something that had to physically happen. He did what he got okayed to do. We have no clue if what we chose to do is what he wanted or what the BOT okayed.

I don’t think the Dome renovation is a plus for the guy. I am not saying it was a negative either.

My non coaching hires list that I wanted to see from the ADs over this past decade have been:

1) Get us into a P5 conference / ensuring we get our share of the P5 money (done)
2) Fundraising improvement and subsequently commitment to improving our facilities and resources (in progress)
3) Manage JB's exit (TBC)

I know we will never be Alabama football, but I am worried about our basketball standing and managing the exit of JB is incredibly important. If JW nails that, he'll be a success, imo.

Last edited:
My non coaching hires list that I wanted to see from the ADs over this past decade have been:

1) Get us into a P5 conference / ensuring we get our share of the P5 money (done)
2) Fundraising improvement and subsequently commitment to improving our facilities and resources (in progress)
3) Manage JB's exit (TBC)

I know we will never be Alabama football, but I am worried about our basketball standing and managing the exit of JB is incredibly important. If JW nails that, he'll be a success, imo.

In my opinion, successfully managing the exit entailed maintaining at least a 0.700 winning percentage, maybe with an occasional one-season blip, on both sides of the retirement. It's tough to call it a smooth transition when the team is not too far about 0.500 for more than half of a decade. We'll see how the team does under this coach and how the new hire can recover. But it's not looking great right now.

In my opinion, successfully managing the exit entailed maintaining at least a 0.700 winning percentage, maybe with an occasional one-season blip, on both sides of the retirement. It's tough to call it a smooth transition when the team is not too far about 0.500 for more than half of a decade. We'll see how the team does under this coach and how the new hire can recover. But it's not looking great right now.

Yeah, if I had to put money on it, I think it's going to get messy and will be worse before it gets better. Hope I'm wrong.

Everything remains a secret regarding finances. The renovation started back in 2004 and season ticket holders got surveys on desired changes. Changing the seating was the number one item by more than 2 to 1 listing the next closest thing. Yet 6 years later we are getting a renovation that was supposed to have STARTED even before he arrived. AND not one seat is being changed.
Football is still a issue because I'm not sure our assistants are getting any more than when he started, at least significantly where we can hire good coordinators and RECRUITERS. Basketball, not sure being best frineds with the HC is an advantage when things are going to get ugly. Can he talk him into having JB step away. Can we get an assistant that has experience with the big men, thus a leg to stand on in recruiting one. 2 cents worth.

Yeah, if I had to put money on it, I think it's going to get messy and will be worse before it gets better. Hope I'm wrong.

He's not gonna 'nail' the JB exit, since he should have exrited 3 years ago.

But what can he do? JB is gonna go out how and when he wants to... Not much he can do about that.

Best he can do is handle it as gracefully as possible. It will likely be difficult and degrees of bad to worse to contend with.

He's not gonna 'nail' the JB exit, since he should have exrited 3 years ago.

But what can he do? JB is gonna go out how and when he wants to... Not much he can do about that.

Best he can do is handle it as gracefully as possible. It will likely be difficult and degrees of bad to worse to contend with.

I expect someone in his position to be able to ensure SU is set up for success in basketball while being respectful of JB and his legacy. He gets paid a lot of money, he needs to make this happen.

The dome reno is something that probably takes a sizeable chunk of attention. I don't agree with the way they went about it, but I'm not in charge of anything and whatever they did was going to be a monstrous undertaking.

I mean I'd like a retractable roof or some fancier stuff but if the metrodome roof is successfully replaced by the Colgate FB game this autumn and we don't lose any dates I will be extremely impressed.

And everything else about the renovation will be secondary I'm sure people will find a way to melt about little details like unfinished walls but if they pull that off none of that stuff will matter.

With basketball in the dumpster moving games for a year could easily have cost us ST holders.

Take a look at the resumes of some of John's hires since he's been here. As CEO he has built an incredibly impressive team. Hate to call out names, but I've personally heard Scott Hecht and Jordan Kligerman say they are here because "John called me." And while he did not hire Dino, they have developed a great relationship that undoubtedly helped quell the possibilities of Dino looking for greener pastures when he was such a hot coaching commodity last year at this time.

The unique thing about John is that he is primarily a fan above all else. He's incredibly generous with his time and actively seeks out opportunities to interact with fans and supporters of all levels. He responds to emails within minutes and is genuinely interested in the fan perception and experience.

IMHO we could not be in better hands.

Take a look at the resumes of some of John's hires since he's been here. As CEO he has built an incredibly impressive team. Hate to call out names, but I've personally heard Scott Hecht and Jordan Kligerman say they are here because "John called me." And while he did not hire Dino, they have developed a great relationship that undoubtedly helped quell the possibilities of Dino looking for greener pastures when he was such a hot coaching commodity last year at this time.

The unique thing about John is that he is primarily a fan above all else. He's incredibly generous with his time and actively seeks out opportunities to interact with fans and supporters of all levels. He responds to emails within minutes and is genuinely interested in the fan perception and experience.

IMHO we could not be in better hands.

You're right about email. I emailed him one night about the ACC Network with a Spectrum question. He responded the next morning before 8 am. He wasn't positive about the answer, but he copied someone from the ACC office who was able to help.

The problem is definitely not with the AD. The school looks like it is making moves to restore the lacrosse program. I think football may still be on the right track. The mens' basketball problems are a whole other ball of wax, and I am not sure he can do much about it. I think, overall, he is a great AD.