Johnson Highlights | Syracusefan.com

Johnson Highlights

EastCoast2

Board Mathematician

He's a 78 on ESPN which is equivalent to about a 3-star recruit. Remember when MCW committed and everyone said "WHO?".

Kid is a 16 year old senior turning 17 in December. He's 16. And 6'7 165. He could still grow 2 inches. I know I wasn't done growing until I was 18.

Perfect candidate for a redshirt or prep school. Let him develop another 2 years, put on 25 lbs and join the team as a 19 year old.

Left handed, I see a skinnier version of CJ Fair from high school.

Good work by JB & Co.

He's got a quick, high release. These are probably highlights of him as a 15 year old. Very solid.

He reminds me a bit of Jeremy Lamb from UCONN that just went pro. Under-recruited kid from GA, that became a instant contributor as a freshman. Let's hope

He reminds me a bit of Jeremy Lamb from UCONN that just went pro. Under-recruited kid from GA, that became a instant contributor as a freshman. Let's hope

I was thinking the same thing.

The kids game look so smooth, hard to believe that he so young. He has a ton of upside

I wonder why more big names weren't interested in him. We're not workin' the hottest chick at the bar, but we are at least going home with someone.

He's a 78 on ESPN which is equivalent to about a 3-star recruit. Remember when MCW committed and everyone said "WHO?".

Kid is a 16 year old senior turning 17 in December. He's 16. And 6'7 165. He could still grow 2 inches. I know I wasn't done growing until I was 18.

Perfect candidate for a redshirt or prep school. Let him develop another 2 years, put on 25 lbs and join the team as a 19 year old.

Left handed, I see a skinnier version of CJ Fair from high school.

Good work by JB & Co.
My take is that the kid is a great outside shooter with surprising jumping ability and quickness. Before this summer, he would have been someone of great interest to Syracuse except he would been largely redundant to Trevor Cooney. Given Trevor's presence, and the addition of Gbinije, there is no way he would get an offer.

Then he grew a couple of inches and got in the 6'6, 6'7 range, where he is big enough to play the 3 as well as the 2. His ability to play the 3 got him the scholarship to Syracuse and I think he will play the vast majority of his minutes there, contending for minutes with Gbinije a little and Grant (a lot).

In a perfect world, Johnson gets up to 200-210 pounds and Grant gets up to 225-230 and they would be able to co-exist at the 3 and 4 toward the end of their time at Syracuse.

His recruitment actually reminds me more of Dirty's recruitment. Both young, both similiar size, both not ranked, both with a smooth outside shot, both relative no names. However, I think BJ has more upside than Dirty as he seems to have a more multi-dimensional potential in his game due mostly to a better handle.

Francis stated that Johnson measured 6-8" at the SU camp in August. It seems to me that many people are comparing him to kids in his class and not kids his age as we should. If you compare him to the rising juniors he will go from a 3 star guy to a 4 star guy and if you can RS a 4 star guy you do it in a heart beat!

His recruitment actually reminds me more of Dirty's recruitment. Both young, both similiar size, both not ranked, both with a smooth outside shot, both relative no names. However, I think BJ has more upside than Dirty as he seems to have a more multi-dimensional potential in his game due mostly to a better handle.

You forget that James came in with more impressive athleticism. James hasn't clicked yet, but I'm hopeful that this year it will finally come together for him.

You do realize this video was last season when the kid just turned 16 and he killed it this summer from all reports right?

I would be more impressed if we could see him setting up his own shots.

Said this in other threads.
Johnson seems to have a slower more relaxed spot up shot in game then James ever has. Got to love a kid who shoots it all 180 degrees around the arc like BJ.

James shoots like 75% from three in practices at times. He needs to find the mental toughness to do that in games. Shooting 38% from beyond the arc is better then shooting 33.4% from deep while steping into it and getting over emotional.

I think I have seen James maybe once with the mental toughness to pause before shooting a three in game. Not sure hes that kind of three point shooter. When you have to quick release your shot to knock it down its hard to say your a true marksman. Especially given hes above 6'4 (actually 6'8).

Hes a senior, same message with his leadership. Less freemotion more leadership. If James ever found the basketball IQ of a guy like Rautins he could be NBA. I have a feeling I will be saying that again this year. Not knocking on James, trying to highlight his potential, Optimstically. This is his last run at the college level. I hope Brandons "suprised at how quick I became a senior" attititude at some point is realized by James early this year.

He has such a nice looking shot.

Eh, not much to see there. Taking easy shots in an empty gym going about half speed doesn't impress me much.
I just like watching him stroke it! ONIONS!

I just like watching him stroke it! ONIONS!
I will not take this out of context...

(Especially in a thread titled "Johnson Highlights")

(Especially in a thread titled "Johnson Highlights")
It was too easy.

I would be more impressed if we could see him setting up his own shots.
Get your yawns in now, this kid is going to wake you up. Stick 'em up, JB stole this kid. Very fluid, I'm very impressed with this one. Great job by the staff. Hard to believe he stayed under the radar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom