Jolting Leonard Hamilton Interview | Syracusefan.com

Jolting Leonard Hamilton Interview

The guy couldn't explain why he had his team quit when there was still a glimmer of hope.
And this shows why some people still resist legalized betting...especially on college sports.

I will give Hamilton this...he certainly doesn't look like he's 69 years old.

Leonard Hamilton stunned Dana Jacobson is asking about fouling

if betting were fully legalized , there would still be rules preventing coaches from betting ...and if they were to break those rules , what’s to stop them from breaking them if gambling were illegal ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Terrific response. Can’t really fault him after that.
Absolutely. A perfect response that IMO totally diffuses the situation. Hopefully, he followed that up with a private apology to Dana Jacobson.

Absolutely. A perfect response that IMO totally diffuses the situation. Hopefully, he followed that up with a private apology to Dana Jacobson.

Diffuses how he handled the interview. But doesn't explain why he told his team not to foul when they could still win.

The betting line had nothing to do with that stupidity. So, all 5 players on the floor were in on it? Of course not. They are just a stupid team that quit at the end.

players didn't have to be in on anything if the coach just said don't foul.

players didn't have to be in on anything if the coach just said don't foul.
I refuse to believe he said that. And if it is showed he did, he should be fired immediately.

Diffuses how he handled the interview. But doesn't explain why he told his team not to foul when they could still win.
Agreed. I was only referring to the media storm about how he responded to the question.

Look I'm not saying the fix was in. But Michigan was 320th in the country in foul shooting and its a 4 point game with 12 seconds. Its a hard one to justify.

Look I'm not saying the fix was in. But Michigan was 320th in the country in foul shooting and its a 4 point game with 12 seconds. Its a hard one to justify.
It's not hard to justify. It's impossible to justify. But the other side of the coin is that if they fouled and Michigan made their foul shots, there would have been the gimme lay up at the other end. let me put it this way, he makes at least 2 million a year. How much would he have bet on FSU to justify putting his whole life on the line? In '87, we left seconds go off the clock before we called time out at the end of the game. Kids do stupid things.

Fell asleep...what was the scenario here?

I'm hoping that it was just a case that they forgot to practice end of game scenarios for the entire year. That team was BRAIN DEAD.

People over-reacted to that Hamilton interview IMO. He didn't get nasty, he didn't curse or walk away. He clearly didn't like the question but he composed himself, gave an answer, and salvaged it. No big deal.

Barely diffuses.

The correction is never as covered as the original act.

pete-rose-skechers-super-bowl-ad.jpg
Pete Rose says Leonard Hamilton’s not supposed to be in the hall!

People over-reacted to that Hamilton interview IMO. He didn't get nasty, he didn't curse or walk away. He clearly didn't like the question but he composed himself, gave an answer, and salvaged it. No big deal.

It’s a big deal because the person who interviewed him was female. If it we’re a dude , nobody would care... but the spin is that he didn’t afford the reporter a thoughtful answer that he would have to a male... I’m referring to the manner in which he responded . There is no defense for the actual straregy he employed . ..

It’s a big deal because the person who interviewed him was female. If it we’re a dude , nobody would care... but the spin is that he didn’t afford the reporter a thoughtful answer that he would have to a male... I’m referring to the manner in which he responded . There is no defense for the actual straregy he employed . ..
I don't think it had anything to do with her being a woman.