Jonny Flynn Wants Back In (Grantland Article) | Syracusefan.com

Jonny Flynn Wants Back In (Grantland Article)

I'm glad this was written, because Flynn's story really isn't known. We know all this stuff, but to most basketball fans he's a bust and they don't know why.

"When Kurt took the job, he said he was only going to use a little of the triangle," Jefferson said. "But once he got in and took over that's all he used. It was tough for me because we didn't have 3-point shooters … We had the right type of players for another system like a pick-and-roll system. Jonny Flynn could have been one of the best pick-and-roll point guards in the league. He was so deadly in the pick-and-roll, but as far as the offense we were trying to run, I didn't think it was the right system for us."

Incredibly well-done piece. I know we all hate on ESPN a lot...but the Grantland site has some excellent content. Tons of well-researched stories like this one. Credit to Bill Simmons for a great concept.

Awesome article. I really wish Jonny could get another shot. I honestly can't see it happening though. Like the article said: he's got that "damaged goods" label attached to him. Throw in the questions regarding his work ethic and willingness to be coached, and that is not a good mixture.

Very good article.

Couple points:
- I didn't think he was very coachable at SU but we had limited options so Boeheim let him run with it to a certain extent. I always thought he was the partial reason those teams were so inconsistent.
- I don't see any mention that he's improved his game besides being more 'mature' and healthy**. His shooting needs work and they even said in Australia he wasn't playing great defense. That's just a lack of effort because he has the physical capabilities and smarts to play fundamental D.
- No one wants a backup PG who can't shoot or play D in the NBA.
- Jake Pressuti is a great guy and I expect him to be an assistant in the NBA or high level assistant at a major program soon.

Dumb question...

Was getting completely run over by Blake Griffin in the NCAA tournament a factor in his hip problems?

Grantland is very good.

Jefferson did say some nice things about him, but also I was struck by what the asst coach said.

At times, Flynn defied Rambis's system. "He was really stubborn about, 'I want to play my way. I want to run a lot of pick-and-rolls,'" Wohl said. "But the way he was running pick-and-rolls wasn't efficient. He was just pounding the ball, and he wouldn't make the simple pass like if a guy got open because they doubled him. He would try and break the double-team rather than get rid of the ba
Rambis wanted Flynn to make the play the defense gave him. Often, Wohl said, Flynn would miss an open Love or Nikola Pekovic as one of them rolled toward the basket. "I thought Jonny fought it more and more," Wohl said. "He would do little rebellious things at times. Like he would see Kurt send a sub to come in off the bench for him and in that next possession, he'd come down and shoot it because it would be his last possession in and he'd be like, 'I'll show you.'"

Thought it was interesting how much Rambis distanced himself from the triangle, basically sayign they ran it 20% of the time or whatever. No idea if that is true, of course

Dumb question...

Was getting completely run over by Blake Griffin in the NCAA tournament a factor in his hip problems?
i could have sworn someone said awhile ago that was the start of it

Very good article.

Couple points:
- I didn't think he was very coachable at SU but we had limited options so Boeheim let him run with it to a certain extent. I always thought he was the partial reason those teams were so inconsistent.

That's right.

Some of the board illuminati claim otherwise, but the people who run the team would agree with you.

I remember several comments from Jonny about urging JB to let him play mtm as that was his best D so the coachable issue certainly makes sense. Additionally he did tend to try to pick his man up early in the defensive possession before getting into the zone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom